E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my car now for just over year.

I love every aspect of my car except the transmission.
In a chat I had with ZF last week who supply boxes to both Audi and BMW, they said that BMW were years ahead based on their implementation of the transmission and their ability to come out with software upgrades to enhance and correct the transmission.

This being said I think that BMW are trying to be too clever in places and the features they are trying to include are manifesting themselves by quirky and unpredictable occurences.

I cant speak too much for the gas engines but in my car there have been many odd things happen none of them being faults with my specific car.

Grinding gear changes eventually fixed with software.
Jerky changes at times.
Car over revving way past torque peak when driving briskly.
Box not changing down to first in D unless you come to a dead stop. Even the slightest forward motion keeps the car in second, accelerate and the car does not know what to do for a few seconds before banging down to first. This only started to happen after the latest software upgrade.
Excessive slip in the toque converter often giving the feeling of the car revving but going nowhere.
Sort of neutral when coming to a stop causing the car to clunk into first as you pull of.
There are others I cant think of right now and I am sure there are more that you can add.

We have an older X5 3.0D with a GM box with none of these hassles, the car behaves totally predictably every time and is a pleasure to drive. It's based on this that I chose the Auto box again.

To overcome most of the above I find myself having to often drive in DS or Steptronic mode.

ZF are convinced that BMW will eventually iron out most of these quirks.

Would be interested to find out your thoughts.

Streak
Old 05-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

I concur, Streak, however; I've learned to live with mine. Still light years ahead of most automatic transmissions.

It's funny. My neighbor has a 645, and he was grumbling about his tyanny as I was jogging by his house the other day.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Could there be a conflict with your Schnitzer ECU?
Old 05-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

I agree - same issues with my transmission on my 530i. Glad it's not only my transmission....., I guess......
Funny, an officemate of mine complained about the same issues with his ZF transmission on his Lexus ES300....
Then I drive an X3 loaner, and it shifts like a dream! Can we swap transmissions??
Old 05-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by acribb' date='May 1 2005, 02:04 PM
Funny, an officemate of mine complained about the same issues with his ZF transmission on his Lexus ES300....
[snapback]122642[/snapback]

Ho Ho Ho! what?!??!?! I thought Lexus's were PERFECT!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Members

Hi,

I think the 6 speed ZF is better than that of my LS430 6 speed.
Lexus does not use ZF in it's vehicles, they're Toyo tranies, built by Aisin.

I've had my 6 speed replaced on my LS430, due to manufacaturing defect.

DZ
Old 05-02-2005, 01:47 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the input.
My tranny is the same with or without the Schnitzer ECU.
ZF explained that the box in my E60 is the same as that in a few other including Jaguar and the new Landrover.

What makes BMW more advanced is the way in which they implement the tranny and try and keep up to date with customer complaints, new software releases etc.

I am also sort of getting used to it but unfortunately it reminds me quite often about the various quirks. It would be nice to just get in and drive (like in my X5) without having to wait for the next quirk!!

Cheers

Streak
Old 05-02-2005, 05:43 AM
Members

My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

Streak, what specific issues are you seeing with your automatic? I've had my 545i for about 2 weeks now, and the one thing I've noticed is the occassional tendency of the transmission to stay in first gear way too long. Every once in a while, even under gentle accelleration, it will 'hang' in first gear and still be there at 3000 rpm. I let off the throttle entirely, then give it a little throttle, and it's still in first and climbing back to 3000 rpm under very light load. (This is in normal, not sport mode by the way.) 99% of the time it upshifts quickly thru the gears under gentle accelleration, which I think of as normal operation.

The above is the only oddity I've experienced so far. Does yours do that? Do they "all" do that?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

Hi Bart001,
My car holds first way to long when the box is cold. ZF explained that it is a emiision control issue related to the catalytic converter and is quite normal. I really donr like to rev the car so high when the engine is cold so I sometimes just use M mode.
Excpet for strange lockup behaviour, my box usually behaves OK under gentle acceleration, it's under heavier acceleration that it bcomes more quirky.

Streak
Old 05-02-2005, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by streak' date='May 2 2005, 10:19 AM
Hi Bart001,
My car holds first way to long when the box is cold. ZF explained that it is a emiision control issue related to the catalytic converter and is quite normal. I really donr like to rev the car so high when the engine is cold so I sometimes just use M mode.
Excpet for strange lockup behaviour, my box usually behaves OK under gentle acceleration, it's under heavier acceleration that it bcomes more quirky.

Streak
[snapback]122906[/snapback]
I agree- stopping and going quickly is NOT very smooth at all. You have to really work to make this baby run smooth in traffic, IMO. Try stopping hard on the interstate when going fast - you'll get a nice abrupt BANG! I encountered this once when getting on it, and then noticing the traffic in front of me had stopped, causing me to slam on the brakes...

Quick Reply: Transmission