E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004
Unhappy

So, as the title suggests, my tranny is leaking fluid... its getting worse too... I took it to Pacific BMW today. I have no warranty but they gave me a free loaner 3 series and are going to do a full inspection of my car including checking out the leak. I'm basically already out $155 for the inspection but don't want this to become a financial nightmare!

I'll keep you guys updated on what they tell me tomorrow and hopefully one of you experts can steer me in the right direction. My mechanic told me to take it to the dealer because it may be worse than just a leak and that usually the dealers take care of this problem. I hope this isn't true because I really don't want to spend $1000 on this issue...
Old 10-27-2009, 04:49 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by danzanchy' post='1041216' date='Oct 27 2009, 06:46 AM
So, as the title suggests, my tranny is leaking fluid... its getting worse too... I took it to Pacific BMW today. I have no warranty but they gave me a free loaner 3 series and are going to do a full inspection of my car including checking out the leak. I'm basically already out $155 for the inspection but don't want this to become a financial nightmare!

I'll keep you guys updated on what they tell me tomorrow and hopefully one of you experts can steer me in the right direction. My mechanic told me to take it to the dealer because it may be worse than just a leak and that usually the dealers take care of this problem. I hope this isn't true because I really don't want to spend $1000 on this issue...
Hope for the best! Maybe just an o-ring on your Mechatronics sleeve. Good luck and keep us posted.

https://5series.net/forums/lofiversi...hp/t73285.html
Attached Thumbnails tranny leak-sealing_sleeve_for_auto.jpg  
Old 10-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by danzanchy' post='1041216' date='Oct 27 2009, 07:46 AM

Sorry to hear about this. This could just be a simple transmission pan and gasket replacement. I have read here that pan and transmission fluid replacement can run anywhere from $450 to $750. This would probably be the least expensive part. God forbid, if they find that you need a new transmission, $1,000 would look very good, but unfortunately it would cost you upward of $7000. You see, there was a time when mechanics were very skilled and they were able to take down a transmission, open it up, replace whatever was broken, close it and put it back up for about half to one third of what it costs to put in a new (really rebuilt) transmission. They maximize their profit and spend less time on their end. Ahhhhhh, the good old days.

Anyway, good luck with this, I hope it's just a minor thing and you can get away with less than $1K. A reputable independent BMW shop could have also done this.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

im hoping the transmission is still okay because I was able to drive the car and haven't noticed anything different performance wise... but if this turns out to be a big problem, i think im going to have to be car-less for a while

thanks for the replies btw
Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Nav

Sorry to hear about this, I just experienced the same problem. I actually had 2 leaks one was from the Mechatronics sleeve for the transmission and one was from a vacuum line they said. Needless to say it sucked since I was leaving for our family vacation the next day. I was fortunate because it was covered under my CPO warranty and done the same day. I believe the actual cost would have been close to $1000 according to my SA.

There is actually a TSB out on the mechatronics sleeve.

Hopefully its just something minor and no need for a transmission. I actually dont know how long mine was leaking for because I didn't notice it until my car was parked for a few days without moving. It never leaked at home or work overnight. The tech at the shop did say that everything did look ok and I shouldn't have anymore problems with it again. If I had a nickel for everytime that was said....

Good luck
Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

i just got a response back from the dealer today... bastards want to charge $746 just for labor!

the transmission is okay, so no need to worry about a $7000 replacement and the problem, just like you guys said, was the mechatronics sleeve and the transmission oil pan gasket... about $438 in parts... do you guys know anywhere in southern cali that wont charge me $750 for an hour of work?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

Members have claimed to be able to replace trans pan in about 30 minutes, so $750 in labor seems outrageous.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

my dad is telling me to tell the dealer to just replace the pan and refill the oil... the dealer was saying that they needed to open up the tranny to change the mechatronics sleeve if i remember correctly...
Old 10-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Contributors

cant go to another Certified BMW autoshop?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Nav

Originally Posted by danzanchy' post='1042252' date='Oct 28 2009, 03:59 PM
my dad is telling me to tell the dealer to just replace the pan and refill the oil... the dealer was saying that they needed to open up the tranny to change the mechatronics sleeve if i remember correctly...

Its true that the pan must be dropped to replace the mechatronics sleeve. They had to drop mine twice because it was still leaking after they took it for a road test. I am sure you could find some indy mech to the work and probably would be much cheaper than the dealer.

Hope it works out for you

Quick Reply: tranny leak