E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tranny Issue - Mechatronics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 05:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by H F
Excellent write up , very informative and well done ..
+1

Thank you!
Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Engine: M54

You're welcome. If you need any pointers, etc post here or feel free to PM me. sounds like you have worn out solenoids just like the rest of us. if you do end up replacing them make sure you replace the bridge seal and four sealing sleeves that sit between the Mechatronic and the transmission casing, they're very important!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: 07 E60

Originally Posted by KyleB
You're welcome. If you need any pointers, etc post here or feel free to PM me. sounds like you have worn out solenoids just like the rest of us. if you do end up replacing them make sure you replace the bridge seal and four sealing sleeves that sit between the Mechatronic and the transmission casing, they're very important!
Have to disagree with you here Kyle.
My money is on low fluid level or incorrect fluid type replacement.
That is if and only if...... the symptoms are new since the pan change.

Maybe if that transmission is excessively crapped up on the inside and sediment was loosened during the pan change will a drastic change occur. Unlikely as the OP would have noticed prior issues.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Contributors

At this point, I can't really rule any of these suggestions out. I'll start with the easiest solution and work my way up.

I never had any issues prior to the drain. I did not even have issues directly after the drain. I would say this started a few weeks back. That is why I am leaning more towards the solenoids. Can't hurt to drain / refill. I'll get more of the original fluid out I guess. I would just hate to drain / refill to find the same issue.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Amherst

Maybe if that transmission is excessively crapped up on the inside and sediment was loosened during the pan change will a drastic change occur. Unlikely as the OP would have noticed prior issues.
Hey for his sake I hope you're right and I'm wrong My guess that fluid gets changed, adaptations get reset, and transmission behavior doesn't change. There are so many of us that have been down this road and almost every time it's been down to bum solenoids in the valve body.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Contributors

So the fluid appears to be fine. So leaning towards the solenoids. How many hours does this take to replace? I am trying to find someone to do the work. I got quoted 8 hours labor form an indy. Pretty sure that is way too long. Any ideas?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Amherst

Hate to say I told ya so, but....

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
So the fluid appears to be fine. So leaning towards the solenoids. How many hours does this take to replace? I am trying to find someone to do the work. I got quoted 8 hours labor form an indy. Pretty sure that is way too long. Any ideas?
In all honesty, eight billable hours is pretty reasonable. If I were still working out of my shop, I'd probably bill between 6 and 8 for the job too. If you do have someone else do it make CERTAIN that they replace not only the solenoids, but also the bridge seal AND the four sealing sleeves that press into the transmission casing. At your mileage I can promise all of them are worn out (the rubber shrinks), and failure in any one of those components can also cause erratic shifting in the gearbox. Ask for the old parts back when they're done if you want.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Ok, so a funny thing I noticed. I did the accelerator reset (hold for 30 seconds) as I normally do every so often. The issue is not happening. I know this is only temporary, but why would this be the case? If the solenoids were bad wouldn't this happen regardless of this reset?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
Ok, so a funny thing I noticed. I did the accelerator reset (hold for 30 seconds) as I normally do every so often. The issue is not happening. I know this is only temporary, but why would this be the case? If the solenoids were bad wouldn't this happen regardless of this reset?
Hard to say, as usually the gearbox shift very abruptly for the first couple hundred miles after resetting adaptations. As the gearbox adapts to your driving habits it should smooth out. The fact that it's only temporary is confirmation that you have a problem.

Are you at the point where you're actually getting transmission fault codes stored in the TCM and/or getting the dreaded iDrive messages? Once it gets to that point you either address it immediately or you will be buying a transmission. Sounds like you're not at that point yet.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Members

Do yourself a favor and replace the whole mechatronic's. I went through this with my 05 545i Get everything from Klaus new pan -filter assembly, case of fluid and the unit. Wish you were closer to Boston I would do it for you. Took me six hours to do mine.

Last edited by mfrasca; 09-06-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny Issue - Mechatronics?