E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is this tranmission slam or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had to get from A to B pretty quick yesterday

At the end of my journey the car jolted a couple of times at low speeds.

On the way home, I did a bit of experimenting in Manual mode and seems that if you downshift 3 to 2 whilst the engine/transmission is under load (going up hill, or accelerating for example), then the transmission will give a jolt --- similar to dropping the clutch in quickly on a manual 'box. 2 to 3 is fine, 3 to 2 whilst decelerating is fine. 4, 5, 6 Is also fine.

Car is under AUC warranty so not overly worried, but I like to know what I'm talking about!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Fore sure tran-slam can be generated if you play long enough with the transmission and the gas pedal.

In more or less normal use I never experienced it.

But the data flow can sometimes be too much, Microsoft and Intel based as the E60 is.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='430017' date='May 30 2007, 05:36 PM
Fore sure tran-slam can be generated if you play long enough with the transmission and the gas pedal.
Sorry, I should qualify my statements further:

Since yesterday, EVERY downshift whilst the tranmission is under load from 3-2 (be it in D, DS, or M) is now accompanied by a jolt.

Playing with it in "M" just proves the problem is 100% repeatable.

I can't say for certain, but it feels as if all the shift points have changed (read: got worse).
Old 05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Contact your dealer!

You seem to have a serious problem with your cars trans.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by marklp' post='430019' date='May 30 2007, 03:40 PM
Sorry, I should qualify my statements further:

Since yesterday, EVERY downshift whilst the tranmission is under load from 3-2 (be it in D, DS, or M) is now accompanied by a jolt.

Playing with it in "M" just proves the problem is 100% repeatable.

I can't say for certain, but it feels as if all the shift points have changed (read: got worse).
You are having tranny slam. Basically, it happens to me after slowing with downshifting occurring manually, but sometimes even automatically. After slowing and downshifting, trying to accelerate biskly, but not even to the max, often brings on a hard, unexpected, and throughly inappropriate, tranny-slam jolt that could actually injure someone not in the best condition skeletally (e.g., my wife has been hurt by tranny-slam, but fortunately for BMW, not seriously yet).

BMW sometimes likes to explain tranny slam by saying its just part of the kick-down process. But, whatever it is, is should not be there--i.e., even if it is kickdown, kickdown should not behave in this dysfunctional and possibly harmful way. In this regard, note that even on-purpose, to-the-floor kickdowns don't produce the kinds of jolts that tranny slams do.

I've never had an automatic that behaved like the Step under tranny-slam conditions. Print this reply, and take it with you.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Have you, Znod, test driven a LCI 550i with the new auto transmission?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Members

Thanks for responses...

Have booked in for next Friday and asked that a technician be available so that I can take him on a drive to demonstrate the fault.

Problem still persists and I've noticed the gearbox's behaviour has changed:
changes up from 1->2 far too soon, and is far too eager to drop down a cog when accelerating.

I'm wondering if there's a sensor or something similar playing up.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

Did you guys try the tranny reset that was discussed in another post? With cars electronics on but engine not started hold the gas pedal down to floor for 25 seconds, then let it up and start the car-resets the auto tranny and smooths your shift points both up and down-basically resets to factor tranny setting
Old 06-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 1973 porsche 911, 32,000 miles,with all S options and leather sport seats. 2004 porsche GT3,white track car, 2003 porsche boxter "my wife's" 2004 3/4 ton suburban tow vehicle, 24' pace trailer, 2006 BMW530XI, black, auburn, also "my wife's" about to buy a BMW 550I,silver gray,

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='430935' date='Jun 1 2007, 08:07 PM
Did you guys try the tranny reset that was discussed in another post? With cars electronics on but engine not started hold the gas pedal down to floor for 25 seconds, then let it up and start the car-resets the auto tranny and smooths your shift points both up and down-basically resets to factor tranny setting
I did the tranny reset today and what a difference. Car shifts very smooth, with no jerking around at any speed.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:31 AM
Members

Well, funny thing is...

Car has been super smooth in the five months I've owned it. Then a couple of weeks ago I tried the reset trick. Seemed to make very little difference. And now I have this problem

Quick Reply: Is this tranmission slam or something else?