E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Traffic Info in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i (SE), Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors, Automatic Gearbox, Bluetooth Telephone Preparation, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Heated Front Seats, HiFi Speaker System, Leather interior, Navigation System - Business, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres. M-Tech Kit.

Originally Posted by E60_530D' post='364109' date='Dec 6 2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the feedback,

I agree that the TMC info needs to be better, but its still better than nothing ?, but the BMW software is the thing that effects the order of display, and where the cursor starts is definitely software specific.

I am interested in whether there are software updates or settings that:

1. Change where the cursor starts, as mine is in the middle of the list of all traffic problems in the country.
2. Some one said the problems on their route were at the top of the list !!!, how old is your car ?, and do you know what software version you have. Is anyone elses i-drive working this way ?, if so do you know what sw version you have ?

I would really like to get the problems on my route at the top, and the cursor starting at the top of the list, which is the obvious place.

Can anyone figure out if this is a setting or a software version ?
There's definately no setting in iDrive for the cursor position. I have a 2004 car with Bus Nav and CIP 19.00 (now old). Problems on my route qualifying for a dynamic re-route do go to the top of my list, with the warning triangle, otherwise everything is sorted by Distance. I think the cursor goes to the middle of the list when I initially enter that screen, however I have gotten into the habit of staying in that screen when Motorway driving, and regularily scrolling back to the top myself if I've gone down to check individual problems lower in the list. In that case, my updates come in while leaving me at the top to see the nearest.

Sure TMC isn't great, but I like the fact that it's integrated in my car, and just like following Nav directions themselves - it shouldn't be blindly followed, if I know the roads and it's better just to crawl for a couple of junctions. Better than nothing IMO!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Members

I checked my car last night. Traffic problems sort to the top of the list, and other entries appear below sorted by distance. As someone else pointed out, it doesn't show every problem in the country but seems to be intelligently filtered - showing those near to me plus those on my route to the destination. Still several screen fulls worth on an evening though.

The cursor always starts at the top of the list when I go in to the screen.

My car is a 2004 E60 530d with business nav. The software was last updated in about August 2006, so whichever version that gets you. I'm 99% sure that it behaved the same before the update too.

I agree with what someone else said: it's far from perfect, but much much better than nothing at all.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Members

I have checked again.

My system starts in the middle of a very long list, sometimes 2-300 incidents. The ones on my route are in distance order and in the list in that order. If I start scrolling through the list looking for the ones with triangles, and stop for say 2 seconds while I switch the indicator on, then the list jumps straight back to the middle. The feedback on the rotary controller also seems to lag behind the list often meaning it jumps back to the middle anyway.

From what you have said, there is probably an update as my car was built April 06, that corrects this problem. Will just check the forums for issues with the latest SW before calling the dealer.

Thanks to all