E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trading my 545 for an SUV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i silver

Sorry fellow members. I hate to do it but really have no choice.

It may just be my car but the 545i only drives well when the engine is cold and once I have been driving for a while it loses it's oomph.. It may just be my city driving.

I have had a software upgrade and that fixed the tranny a lot but still there is a terrible lag off the line which is fine for most cars but not acceptable for a V8 BMW.

Also when slowing down and trying to accelerate there is lag. Drives me nuts. What good is a sporty V8 if I can't even use it to weave through traffic for fear of the unknown response I get from the car.

My best MPG was 14.5 with very gentle 'stay in the same lane' city cruising. If I wanted to speed things up a bit I get 13mpg.

I am positive that either the engine isn't giving me the rated 325 hp or the transmission isn't transmitting it to the wheels.

Nice car to hug corners and kill curves and take on the highway and by far way quieter than any other car I've driven. But realisticly my city commute offers no such pleasure. I get on the highway maybe once every 3 to 4 months. The sport seats have started to hurt my right hip from holding the foot at an uncomfortable position. I have tried every seat position possible.

I was offered $10,000 less for my 2005 545i with sport pkg Nav and Cold weather pkg with fold down rear seats, 4600 miles and 8 months of ownership.
Gulp .......

I looked at trade in value of the 2004 version of the car and GOSH it shocked me. I don't want to lose anymore money for this unhappy experience.

What do you think of the price offered for my car?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

What do I think? I think I don't get it.

An SUV isn't likely to offer better throttle response and acceleration-- wouldn't an SUV be more sluggish?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ZinMe' date='Jul 29 2005, 11:15 PM
What do I think?? I think I don't get it.?

An SUV isn't likely to offer better throttle response and acceleration-- wouldn't an SUV be more sluggish?
[snapback]154497[/snapback]
Yes but I EXPECT that from an SUV. Unlike the unexpected response of my 545i
Old 07-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

To each their own. Hope you're happy with the trade. How much is it that their offering you? You didn't really say, we don't know what 10,000 less is if we don't know what to subract 10,000 from...

When you buy a brand new car, expect to get hit hard with depreciation. I learned this the hard way. Buying pre-owned lessens this hit quite a bit. So the next time you buy new, keep it for a little while longer.

Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Jul 29 2005, 11:16 PM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Jul 29 2005, 11:15 PM']What do I think?? I think I don't get it.??

[snapback]154498[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 07-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear that. I am also thinking of letting mine go later this year or maybe early next. I get where you're coming from. Its a real pity but the 545 is a truly wonderful car when it behaves like it should, but like you said, it does not deliver most of the time.

However, are you sure you'd want to drive an SUV? The suspension rocks like you're on a boat. I believe consumption isn't too much better than what you're getting now. Have you thought of another make? Possibly a Jap with the letter L? That should be closer to what you're used to.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Edlee' date='Jul 30 2005, 12:07 AM
Sorry to hear that.? I am also thinking of letting mine go later this year or maybe early next.? I get where you're coming from.? Its a real pity but the 545 is a truly wonderful car when it behaves like it should, but like you said, it does not deliver most of the time.

However, are you sure you'd want to drive an SUV?? The suspension rocks like you're on a boat.? I believe consumption isn't too much better than what you're getting now.? Have you thought of another make?? Possibly a Jap with the letter L?? That should be closer to what you're used to.
[snapback]154504[/snapback]
I agree but my city commute is fairly straight lanes with little turning so the rocky boat isn't much of a problem, and Gas mileage will be about the same but I am still getting Nav and Bluetooth plus more comfort.

And I think for now I am staying with the Japs. I will wait for the premiums to go down a little and get one in the future.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2005, 04:48 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Jul 29 2005, 10:11 PM
Sorry fellow members. I hate to do it but really have no choice.

It may just be my car but the 545i only drives well when the engine is cold and once I have been driving for a while it loses it's oomph.. It may just be my city driving.

I have had a software upgrade and that fixed the tranny a lot but still there is a terrible lag off the line which is fine for most cars but not acceptable for a V8 BMW.

Also when slowing down and trying to accelerate there is lag. Drives me nuts. What good is a sporty V8 if I can't even use it to weave through traffic for fear of the unknown response I get from the car.

My best MPG was 14.5 with very gentle 'stay in the same lane' city cruising. If I wanted to speed things up a bit I get 13mpg.

I am positive that either the engine isn't giving me the rated 325 hp or the transmission isn't transmitting it to the wheels.

Nice car to hug corners and kill curves and take on the highway and by far way quieter than any other car I've driven. But realisticly my city commute offers no such pleasure. I get on the highway maybe once every 3 to 4 months. The sport seats have started to hurt my right hip from holding the foot at an uncomfortable position. I have tried every seat position possible.

I was offered $10,000 less for my 2005 545i with sport pkg Nav and Cold weather pkg with fold down rear seats, 4600 miles and 8 months of ownership.
Gulp .......

I looked at trade in value of the 2004 version of the car and GOSH it shocked me. I don't want to lose anymore money for this unhappy experience.

What do you think of the price offered for my car?
[snapback]154495[/snapback]
Doesn't sound like any 545 experience I am familiar with.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

You definitely have a problem with your car, I don't experience any of what you describe and I have 530i. May you should try different dealer.

P.S. I agree with you on sport seats - they are not comfortable at all.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Jul 29 2005, 07:16 PM
[quote name='ZinMe' date='Jul 29 2005, 11:15 PM']What do I think?? I think I don't get it.??

[snapback]154498[/snapback]
[/quote]

I still don't get it- either you want crisp handling or you don't. An SUV doesn't solve that problem.

If I recall, you live in a city area. Why not try a new 330i or a mini?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Contributors

I understand a switch if the car is not getting it done for you. I don't understand a move to an SUV. Wouldn't another sport sedan make more sense? BTW, I drive my 545 in the city every day and have never experienced any type of acceleration lag. I wonder if there is something wrong with your engine or tranny?

Quick Reply: Trading my 545 for an SUV.