E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded for new Lincoln Towncar

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545iA Jet Black, Black, Sport, Prem Sound, PDC, Rear sunshades, integrated phone, Sirius, Huper Optik tint, Euro Reflectors

Well, actually only while my 545i is in for service

Took car in today to replace all 4 creaky door seals, upgrade software to v18 to fix transmission slam and to replace broken cup holder (that I only used 4 times since I got car in early 2004). Dealer provided me with a new Lincoln Town Car as a loaner.

Despite all of my complaints about software problems, rattles, etc, I can't believe how much I miss my E60 especially since driving around in the Town Car. For those of you interested, here are my observations comparing Lincoln with 545i:

ENGINE and DRIVETRAIN:
Both have V8 although with all the extra poundage and size of the Town Car, it's hard to believe that both cars have eight cylinders. Actually, I believe that there is an inboard/outboard somewhere under the Lincoln's hood. Advantage: BMW

SUSPENSION:
The Lincoln also has a suspension, I think. Either that or it has a rudder given all of the heaving and bobbing when you take even the slightest turn. I've stocked up on Dramamine for the duration. Advantage: BMW

STEERING:
The Lincoln also steers albeit with a decidedly "point it and wait approx 2 minutes" for a change in course. I thought that I detected active steering, but it was only the steering rack actively waiting for another command. Advantage BMW

INTERIOR AMENITIES:
Now, it is important to note that I didn't get just any old run of the mill Town Car, but rather the Signature Limited Edition. With this special optional package, I am surrounded by wood and leather. Unfortunately, cheap Ford plastic makes up the majority of the interior, thereby making the complaints about BMW interior thriftyness a moot point. Advantage BMW

ERGONOMICS:
The Lincoln has mastered the hand to button ergonomic function provided that the hand operating the controls belongs to the passenger, since that is the only person close enough to the myriad buttons seemingly located on the passenger side of the dashboard. One plus, however, is that it only took me 1 sec to change and store a new radio station. Advantage BMW

SQUEAKS/RATTLES:
Well, now we're in a closer race, since the Town Car had zero rattles or squeaks. But since I trust that the revised German designed new and improved super-duper door seals will eliminate all of my BMW's creaks and groans, I'll only give a slight advantage to the Town Car. Advantage Lincoln

All kidding aside, I can't wait to get my car back tomorrow. I'll even consider turning up the Logic 7 to ear drum piercing volume levels to mask out any interior creaking instead of driving any other vehicle. Wish me luck.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

This is a subject line you don't often see on a BMW forum
Old 08-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Members

The real question is, how fast can you run the autocross?

Old 08-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

After reading your thread title, I knew something was up.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Funny...
Old 08-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lincoln is simply the best. BMW is better than Lincoln
Old 08-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Senior Members

In Europe / UK we don't get Lincolns, thank goodness
Old 08-29-2005, 11:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

U almost gave me a heart attack with the subject line! stop being naughty, lol glad to hear all still well on planet Earth.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Senior Members

you scared the hell outta me ! but you are so lucky to have a lincoln as loaner. way better than some of us .
Old 08-30-2005, 04:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Now wait just a darn minute. I'm sure the handling of the Lincoln would improve dramatically if you put on some Dunlop run-flats.

Quick Reply: Traded for new Lincoln Towncar