E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trade-in 550i for M6- Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M6 is a good car, if u can afford the gas which would be on avg 14 miles to the gallon and the regular upkeep, go for it. Try getting a 3rd party insurance. I love rare things, it makes me stand out of the crowd.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by shorttough
M6 is a good car, if u can afford the gas which would be on avg 14 miles to the gallon and the regular upkeep, go for it. Try getting a 3rd party insurance. I love rare things, it makes me stand out of the crowd.
Try 10-11. Or maybe it's just my driving.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Try 10-11. Or maybe it's just my driving.
thats as good as driving a Ferarri. lol
Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Anyone know of any issues with the M6?

How about the cost of maintaining it? I have a friend with a e90 M3 and he said the valves have to be adjusted with every oil change. Anything weird like that with the V10?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
Anyone know of any issues with the M6?

How about the cost of maintaining it? I have a friend with a e90 M3 and he said the valves have to be adjusted with every oil change. Anything weird like that with the V10?
PM m630 to see what experience he's had with his. Maybe some of the M5 owning members can chime in - there's no reason to suspect that the M6 is any more maintenance intensive than the M5.

That said, you do have to accept and understand than an out of warranty M could be a very expensive proposition. Maintenance will be more than for a regular 5 or 6 series, but nothing too outrageous. If anything serious were to break, however, the M6 like any high end car is not going to be inexpensive to repair. This is why I recommended a good PPI if you can't get the car CPO'd. A PPI won't be a guarantee that nothing will break, but it will give you a much better insight into the car's provenance and let you make a more informed buying decision.

Simply put, one of the reasons cars like this end up on the lot is because the previous owner was either aware of a potentially expensive issue or concerned that one might be about to happen. If you get a good car there's no undue reason to be worried. You just need to make sure that you are getting a good car.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I say do your research... as pointed out already its a ballsy car. I dont believe in the "more car than you will ever need" argument... all of us with BMW's have spent more on a car than what we "need". The 6 is certainly not your average looking car. You WILL stand out. And as for gas mileage, if you can afford the price tag of the car, gas mileage really is secondary isnt it? If it is truly a concern wouldnt you have a Prius?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the info.....

You know I pulled the car fax on it last night, and it lists it as "Certified Preowned by BMW".
The original owner traded it in at a different BMW dealer a few hours from here back in October. The Carfax says that BMW dealer put it up for sale as a CPO back in October. The BMW dealer took possession of it here recently, and has it listed as a non cpo....I'm confused
The finance guy told me the other day they haven't met their quota on extended warranties for the month of Jan and they could give us a good deal on one. My guess is they have it listed as non cpo so they can make some extra $$ on an extended warranty. How can I find out if it is a CPO? Would BMW NA know...or someone else?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
Thanks for the info.....

You know I pulled the car fax on it last night, and it lists it as "Certified Preowned by BMW".
The original owner traded it in at a different BMW dealer a few hours from here back in October. The Carfax says that BMW dealer put it up for sale as a CPO back in October. The BMW dealer took possession of it here recently, and has it listed as a non cpo....I'm confused
The finance guy told me the other day they haven't met their quota on extended warranties for the month of Jan and they could give us a good deal on one. My guess is they have it listed as non cpo so they can make some extra $ on an extended warranty. How can I find out if it is a CPO? Would BMW NA know...or someone else?
As far as I know, CPO follows the car, is recorded in the VIN history and can't be switched on and off like a switch. Same applies to BMW Service/Maintenance Contracts. If you have a friend at a BMW Store (SA or Sales) ask that they run the VIN and provide a history record with maintenance and warranty records to verify how BMWNA "sees" the car.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Is the M6 going to be used as a daily driver or second car? If you are planning to use as a DD, brace yourself for the increased gas cost.

IMO, owning an M6 is one thing, but you will never be able to really DRIVE it like its meant to be driven (at least legally or unless you can get to a track). After living in Germany for so many years - this is why I refuse to own an M, unless I came accross an INCREDIBLE offer.

As for CPO, its pretty lousy to begin with but its better than nothing. I'd definitely find out whether or not the car does have it. I'd seriously consider a 3rd party warranty (purchase direct and avoid the dealer commission). 5-7k may seem kind of steep depending on miles/years, but the first time that V-10 needs a repair...OUCH

G/L with your decison
Old 01-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

My salesman I bought the 550 from that is at a different dealer is checking into it for me. I also emailed the General Manager at the bmw dealer that CPO'd the car, and he responded back and said he will check on it as well. So hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it.

As far as dealer extended warranty...yeah, I think their prices were kind of steep as well. The M6 is a '07 and has 35k miles on it.
What 3rd part companies does everyone use?

I would use it as a DD, so yeah I'm prepared for fuel cost. I drive 50 miles round trip 5 days a week, all non stop fwy driving, so that should help at least.

Quick Reply: Trade-in 550i for M6- Yay or Nay?