E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Trade-in 550i for M6- Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

When I took my 550 in for service recently, they had a black M5 on the floor for about $99,000. She was pretty, indeed. If you have the means, and the warranty is good for 11 more months, go for it. If it's not going to work out, you've got 11 months to figure out what you want next. With that said, my childhood friends' brother bought an M6 and absolutely hates the gearbox. He apparently wishes he never sold his previous generation M5.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
The dealer is closed tomorrow, so we have a day to decide.
This transaction better take you more than a day to decide haha... seems like an impulse buy to me. Just take your time i'm sure an even better deal will pop up. That M6 will probably still be on the lot for a long time. Personally, if i had the means and opportunity... M6 > any regular 5. M5 is another story.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 AM
Contributors

M6 has more power, sure, but when are you going to use it? The number of occasions where you'd be driving so fast that a 550i couldn't keep up will be very rare. I'm not saying a 550 is as fast as an M6, I'm saying you'll almost never be taking advantage of that difference to any real extent. Also, are you ready to lose two doors?

Leave the money in the bank, accept you've got an awesome car. You don't need to have something rarer, that's for high school kids who feel the need to show off.

My gas pedal spends 99% of it's time NOT at full throttle, so people with lesser powered BMWs could be keeping up, so what am I getting for that extra power? Exactly! OMG, I'm talking myself out of the car I've got. Oh shit, I better stop now.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DD_545i
M6 has more power, sure, but when are you going to use it? The number of occasions where you'd be driving so fast that a 550i couldn't keep up will be very rare. I'm not saying a 550 is as fast as an M6, I'm saying you'll almost never be taking advantage of that difference to any real extent. Also, are you ready to lose two doors?

Leave the money in the bank, accept you've got an awesome car. You don't need to have something rarer, that's for high school kids who feel the need to show off.

My gas pedal spends 99% of it's time NOT at full throttle, so people with lesser powered BMWs could be keeping up, so what am I getting for that extra power? Exactly! OMG, I'm talking myself out of the car I've got. Oh shit, I better stop now.
None of us needs anything more than the most basic car big enough to accommodate the things we need to carry around. Anything we choose to buy above that minimum is discretionary spending based on want and not need.

You don't need the car you have, yet you feel the need to pontificate about why the OP and others shouldn't have something above his or her minimum requirement?

For many of us, life is about enjoying what we have and our ability to have them.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Thanks for all of the responses....

I did some research last night. The trade-in value for my 550 on KBB is $24k for excellent, and is $21k for fair. They are going to have to meet us somewhere in the middle.
Also I did a US search on cars.com for the same year M6 coupe and mileage and came across 5-6 that have around or less miles on them for about the same asking price and are all CPO. So they are going to have to include CPO too. They were trying to push their extended warranty. One of them slipped and said they haven't made their quotas on warranties for the month, so they could work a deal. There is 3 warranty options....one is $4k, one is $6k and the other is $7k...lol, yeah right. How much does it cost to CPO a car?
Anyway, if they can't work in my demands, I'll walk...lol

Also, the giving up 4 doors thing someone mentioned. We've had the car over 2 years, and over that time I've had someone in the back seats maybe 3 times.....so losing 2 doors isn't a concern, plus I rode in the back of the M6, and it wasn't horrible for one person. Gas consumption....maybe a slight concern..since my 550 gets horrible mileage, so I'm kind of use to it. It gets about 19 hwy, and less in city traffic. Also, wouldn't be an impulse buy either.....we've been wanting one for a few years now. I do love my 550, so it will be hard to let her go.
I'll keep you guys posted!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

M6 will give you a much more thrilling ride in terms of top end power but has little low end torque. One of our respected members who lives in a big city went from a 545 to a M5 -- and misses his 545.

Take a very extended test drive as the SMG gets decidely mixed reviews from our members. Some like it but others think it is clunky and no good for daily driving, you will be able to tell better from a test drive. Once at speed, a 550 cannot even remotely keep pace with a M5 or M6. But that's not the case in lower speed urban driving.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by swajames
For many of us, life is about enjoying what we have and our ability to have them.
^this

well said my friend....
Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by skeeter
Do it! M6 are so sexy...I like them more than a m5!!
You're no longer invited to ECFest.

To the OP, if you do decide to go through with this, I have a friend looking for a 550 so maybe I'll have him get in touch with you to see if something can be worked out. Regarding the driveability issue, I switched from the 545 to the M5 and never regretted it and I use the M5 as a daily driver.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
You're no longer invited to ECFest.

To the OP, if you do decide to go through with this, I have a friend looking for a 550 so maybe I'll have him get in touch with you to see if something can be worked out. Regarding the driveability issue, I switched from the 545 to the M5 and never regretted it and I use the M5 as a daily driver.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by skeeter

Quick Reply: Trade-in 550i for M6- Yay or Nay?