E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Track day at Sepang F1 circuit with an E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 03:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woah just got back from Sepang F1 circuit. Brought my 530i there for a track day with the local BMW club.

I'll say it's the most insane thing I've done for a while! Also the most fun I've had in a while. Managed to hit 220km/h on the drive up to Sepang.

First thing, I think the E60's not too bad as a track car, it's not you typical track car like an M3, but you can have quite a lot of fun with it. Especially with ARS and active steering. With the latter, I was able to drive the entire circuit with one hand on the wheel and the other playing with the steptronic. ARS is more suited for regular road driving, as on the limit there is still quite a bit of body roll, apparently this is expected as the ARS system is tweaked that way.

I did about 20 laps in all, as it was my first time, decided to not push it too much. Did have one 270 spin on turn 14 and did lots of powerslides. Yes the E60's pretty easy to powerslide, just turn off the DTC/DSC completely (hold the DSC button for 10 secs) and put in the power on 2nd gear and that's it! As I mentioned, expect some roll even with ARS on the limit. I got some nasty body roll when trying to catch oversteer a couple of times. I think its a combination of the grippy 275s in the rear and just not enough power in 2nd (to get wheelspin), and my crappy skills, to always catch oversteer smoothly.

Kind of regret now, not getting sports suspension for the 530i There were times I wish I still had my 328ci

Oh, one more thing, I was pretty brutal with the E60, but it held out quite well, didn't notice any additional creaks or rattles on my drive back from the track (about 300Km). I think my brake pads are a little worn though. My tires not have the "powerslide look"

eggz

eggz
Old 12-20-2004, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

Great guns Eggs; looks like we'll have to depend on you to organise one for the E60s.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Looks like you had a lot of fun!!
Track days are a distant thing for us who live in places with a snowy winter...
Old 12-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Old 12-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

^^^ agree .
Old 12-21-2004, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Wow Eggz, sound like you had those adrenalin pumping while having lots of "fun". I guess that's one way to realise the E60's upper limit and at the same time polishing one's driving skills.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Guest_CRRobert_*

Sounds like fun eggz.

You just wet my appetite for my upcoming track day/driving school at Buttonwillow raceway with the SD CCA chapter in February.

I already had a taste at the BMW Performance Center delivery, and I must say, I can not wait.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

eggz.. wow, sounds really fun. Where is the track ? Is that in Singapore ? Were there any other cars when you were driving on track ? Hope i can bring my 630ci to the track when i'm back in singapore. Sound fun!!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004- 545, sports package, 6 speed manual, active drive

Originally Posted by eggz' date='Dec 20 2004, 06:18 AM
Woah just got back from Sepang F1 circuit. Brought my 530i there for a track day with the local BMW club.

I'll say it's the most insane thing I've done for a while! Also the most fun I've had in a while.? Managed to hit 220km/h on the drive up to Sepang.

First thing, I think the E60's not too bad as a track car, it's not you typical track car like an M3, but you can have quite a lot of fun with it. Especially with ARS and active steering. With the latter, I was able to drive the entire circuit with one hand on the wheel and the other playing with the steptronic. ARS is more suited for regular road driving, as on the limit there is still quite a bit of body roll, apparently this is expected as the ARS system is tweaked that way.

I did about 20 laps in all, as it was my first time, decided to not push it too much. Did have one 270 spin on turn 14 and did lots of powerslides. Yes the E60's pretty easy to powerslide, just turn off the DTC/DSC completely (hold the DSC button for 10 secs) and put in the power on 2nd gear and that's it! As I mentioned, expect? some roll even with ARS on the limit. I got some nasty body roll when trying to catch oversteer a couple of times. I think its a combination of the grippy 275s in the rear and just not enough power in 2nd (to get wheelspin), and my crappy skills, to always catch oversteer smoothly.

Kind of regret now, not getting sports suspension for the 530i? ? There were times I wish I still had my 328ci?

Oh, one more thing, I was pretty brutal with the E60, but it held out quite well, didn't notice any additional creaks or rattles on my drive back from the track (about 300Km). I think my brake pads are a little worn though. My tires not have the "powerslide look"?

eggz

u guys should make some movies with your cars not just pictures

eggz
[snapback]70712[/snapback]
Old 12-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

hi eggs welcome back! thanks for the taxi convoy to sepang. din catch u at the petronas station where we pumped up. anyway alan invited me in, but i was running out of time....

i came back yesterday....hit the limiter at 250kmh despite claims of 245 for the auto-steptronic...if u r interested. btw what was ur timing? 2.30?

Quick Reply: Track day at Sepang F1 circuit with an E60