E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: If i could set up a track day would you be interested?
Yes
84.62%
No
7.69%
undecided
7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to get out there and meet everyone and also have some fun . Not sure if you guys would want to do it or not. My dad is in the Ferrari club and they have a blast with it. Which brings me to this question, would this be something we would want to do? Would a group of us want to rent out a track and enjoy the ultimate driving machine for what it is. If so which track would you have in mind?

If you think this is a bad idea please tell why..

Thanks again
Jack,
Old 02-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Renting a track is VERY expensive and very risky if there are any incidents.

However, there are plenty of organized events in the Carolinas and Virginia. Join BMWCCA and get in their events at VIR. Even if you're not a BMWCCA member, you can get in Porsche or Mustang club events no problem. I've had the 550i at VIR twice and previous BMWs to many other tracks in the area (CMP at Kershaw, SC, Roebling at Savanna, and even Road Atlanta)
Old 02-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i, 6 Speed Manual w/Sport Pkg, Black RPI Exhaust, Turner 15mm Rear Spacers, 20% Tint

Originally Posted by Richard in NC
Renting a track is VERY expensive and very risky if there are any incidents.

However, there are plenty of organized events in the Carolinas and Virginia. Join BMWCCA and get in their events at VIR. Even if you're not a BMWCCA member, you can get in Porsche or Mustang club events no problem. I've had the 550i at VIR twice and previous BMWs to many other tracks in the area (CMP at Kershaw, SC, Roebling at Savanna, and even Road Atlanta)

So - been instructing with BMW CCA for 15 years now. 5+ of them spent club racing a E36 m3 in CM class. The E60 in the right hands (mine) is a go fast sled. I'll make you giggle and shit your pants all in the same lap. Want to do a DE - pm me. I'll give you the skinny on what to expect and how to go about it.

Any BMW is a lighting bolt - in the right hands. 98% of the people on this board cant go track fast. Most will take my comment the wrong way - I have instructed many - very few can go fast with grace - Your asking the wrong fourm.

The E60 is a solid / fast / ballenced cart. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

Which track are you talking about? Open lapping? Instructors?
I've done a lot of HPDEs with BMWCCA and PCA. I also have been to CMP at Kershaw, SC, Roebling at Savanna, Road Atlanta and add on Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham and Sebring. All of these events were done in my old E36 M3 though. I hate to think of the expense of a set of wheels and track tires, brake pads and all to other assorted goodies to go with a weekend at the track. As a matter of fact I know I couldn't afford it. I wonder what a good set of track pads for an E60 would cost if they are even out there.
I have included for your viewing pleasure a pic of me in Turn 3 at Road Atlanta. OK so it happens to be my favorite pic, sue me.

Yep, the way I had the car set up it was very stiff. Notice the inside front wheel, that's not from hitting a curb either. That car was an absolute blast to drive.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

You're making me miss my e36 M all over again..... =(
Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by DelVal550i
So - been instructing with BMW CCA for 15 years now. 5+ of them spent club racing a E36 m3 in CM class. The E60 in the right hands (mine) is a go fast sled. I'll make you giggle and shit your pants all in the same lap. Want to do a DE - pm me. I'll give you the skinny on what to expect and how to go about it.

Any BMW is a lighting bolt - in the right hands. 98% of the people on this board cant go track fast. Most will take my comment the wrong way - I have instructed many - very few can go fast with grace - Your asking the wrong fourm.

The E60 is a solid / fast / ballenced cart. Ask me how I know.
You reminded me of advice my brother-in-law gave me (that someone gave to him when he had his first modded Bimmer) - the best mod you can get for your car is putting yourself through a racing school.

I've been dreaming about it for a long time - and sort of learning by trial and error (heel and toe and whatnot) - but still, I really want to do this one of these days

Originally Posted by safetywork
You're making me miss my e36 M all over again..... =(
My friend bought an E36 M3 just a couple of days ago - he's in LOVE with it. And to think that car is more than 10 years old now...
Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by SBrown712
...I wonder what a good set of track pads for an E60 would cost if they are even out there...
They are out there! Mostly for M's and V8's, but if someone's got the cash to track an E60, I think a BBK is a worthy investment anyway.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:42 AM
Members

Ive gone to VIR and road atlanta..and barber as well. Everytime i go its a blast. I just wanted to see if the guys wanted to stretch their cars legs. As for the new breaks and what not you dont have to be schumie out there just have some fun.... if we were competing that would be one thing but we are most def not. I am good friends with lee Davis who runs a dealership. if we have enough interest we can def do this.

let me know
Old 02-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Members

we need a alot more for this to happen
Old 02-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I'd love to take the 550 to a track. I'd be most interested in a road course type track with lots of tight turns.

Quick Reply: Track Day