E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPMS recalibration?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Trying to see if I'm about to get screwed here...

Brief synopsis: I'm replacing my current tire/wheel combo with new Style 135 wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ tires. The TMPS sensors must be removed from the curent tires/wheels and installed on the new wheels (and presumably recalibrated). The old tires will then be re-mounted on the old wheels so I can sell them.

The tire shop quoted me as follows:

TMPS removal: $40
TMPS install: $100
TPMS re-calibration: $100
Mounting/balance new tires to new wheels: $78
re-mounting/balance old tires to old wheels: $78

$140 for TMPS removal and reinstallation sounds a little silly, but $100 for TPMS "recalibration" seems like straight up fraud. Is it legit or does the car's computer even require the sensors to be recalibrated?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BW535xiT

Brief synopsis: I'm replacing my current tire/wheel combo with new Style 135 wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ tires. The TMPS sensors must be removed from the curent tires/wheels and installed on the new wheels (and presumably recalibrated). The old tires will then be re-mounted on the old wheels so I can sell them.

$140 for TMPS removal and reinstallation sounds a little silly, but $100 for TPMS "recalibration" seems like straight up fraud. Is it legit or does the car's computer even require the sensors to be recalibrated?
TPMS - the recalibration is done in iDrive - seems to me this shop doesn't know BMWs -- other manufacturers require an external device to initialize "new" TPMS transponders - NOT BMWs. And,YES, IMHO the remove and reinstall fees are a bit high. It takes about 15 minutes to remove the TPMS devices and reinstall in your replacement wheels.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

TPMS re-calibration: $100 Total BS since the recalibation is done by you using the idrive.
Mounting/balance new tires to new wheels: $78 This is usually included in the tire purchase. Go elsewhere.
re-mounting/balance old tires to old wheels: $78 This sounds Ok.

$140 for TMPS removal and reinstallation sounds a little silly, but $100 for TPMS "recalibration" seems like straight up fraud. Is it legit or does the car's computer even require the sensors to be recalibrated? iDrive needs sensors in 2008s but it is done by pressing reset and then driving a short distance. You should go where they know the car and pricing is more reasonable.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Thanks for saving me at least $100 guys :^) I'm an involved and informed owner, but I just got the car so I'm still learning.

Odd that sensor installation is more than twice as expensive as removal. Makes no sense at all. Most shops are probably running the same racket, so I'll probably just eat it this time in the interest of expediency and remember for the future.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Just FYI, I got this deal from my local installer:
1. Each tire: $20 to mount
2. Each TPMS: $10.

Total: $70.

They fucked up one of my rim with scratches so watch out for that.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

This is a huge steaming pile of excrement. I would not do business with this place. This is highway ROBBERY.

The TPMS removal and installation involves screwing one bolt to take it off, and one to reinstall it on another wheel. It takes 10 seconds per wheel.

As previously stated, the I-drive resets and automatically recognizes the sensors in about 2 minutes.

This job should be about $120~ with a roadforce balance and all of the "work" you listed and itemized at any reasonable tire shop.

Run, and run fast from these crooks. Even the BMW dealership would probably charge you $160 total.

My .02.