E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 525i 6 spd ... [IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/shebuilt/e60/DriverSide1.jpg[/IMG]

I am the "bright" one too! LOL. Found it. Hit reset with car started and drove it a bit. Went back to TPMS Malfunction. Tried twice. Any other ideas forum? All stems are metal but 3 look longer and different then the 1 which is a stubby metal tube. He did purchase new tires and rims from tire chain. I would assume it would be illegal for them to have not re installed? Thanks again. Just looking to see if they are in there before I purchase.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by shebuilt
I am the "bright" one too! LOL. Found it. Hit reset with car started and drove it a bit. Went back to TPMS Malfunction. Tried twice. Any other ideas forum? All stems are metal but 3 look longer and different then the 1 which is a stubby metal tube. He did purchase new tires and rims from tire chain. I would assume it would be illegal for them to have not re installed? Thanks again. Just looking to see if they are in there before I purchase.
Do yourself (and the rest of us trying to help you) ... List the year of your car in your profile.

BMWs are very complex automobiles and the owners' manual is a generally helpful guide to features your car may have.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by shebuilt
You're in the same boat as me, with the "TPM Malfunction" warning. I'm booked in to the dealer in a couple of weeks for my brake recall and will get it sorted out then, but from all I have read so far the most likely culprit is a failed sensor in one of the wheels. My winter wheels have the TPMS sensors installed and they worked fine until about a week ago, then the TPM Malfunction warning came up and the iDrive won't show any information on the tire pressure screen.

Given your observations above, I'm guessing the stubby metal tube may be a damaged sensor...
Old 01-10-2011, 12:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525i 6 spd ... [IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae188/shebuilt/e60/DriverSide1.jpg[/IMG]

Update...Sensors weren't replaced by smart technicians at tire place. Purchased 4 and voila! Success! TPMS light GONE!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 528i, Alpine WHITE

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
It's a sensor. It doesn't wear. What you need to do is go into your iDrive and reset the TPMS sensor AFTER you make sure there is enough tire pressure in the wheels.

I also recommend you crack open the user manual and read it (I usually do it on the throne). You'll learn a lot about your car.

Oh, and welcome to the community.

Michael
Acute Performance
my tpm malfunction light went on a few days ago also. Have had my winter set up on since November with no issues and now the light stays on and the warning reads in the idrive. Tried resetting it in idrive and nothing happens or it freezes. anyone know what's the case??? thanks