E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPMS question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

So we have finally gotten some cool temps in Atlanta. Get in the car one morning and after starting I get the Low Tire Pressure warning on right front tire. Check the pressure and it's fine so I reset the system. Day 2, start the car and get the message on all 4 tires. Check them and pressure is still good and I try to reset the system but it won't let me do it. Day 3, back to the right front only and again I can't reset the system. So I go to the tire shop and they check them, check for leaks everything is fine.
Now, when I bought the wheels and tires they filled the tires with Nitrogen. I thought Nitrogen isn't supposed to be affected by temp changes like air. Guy at tire shop said the average life on the sensors is 5 years, mine are only three. Is it possible that one or more of the sensors inside the tires is failing? Is there a way to test these things? Any ideas anybody?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I'm interested in hearing what this could be...
Old 10-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I've had this happen before...but NOT with nitrogen...I use air. As you would expect the drop in temp causes the tire pressure to drop enough to trigger the TPMS. I added just a bit of air and all was good. I too am interested to see what this problem turns out to be.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

senors can go bad before their expected times, as we all know

the batteries in the tmps sensors r suppose to average 5 yrs

obviously there r some that can go for longer or shorter

no real determining factors...

have u taken it to the dealer? under warranty?

:l
Old 10-09-2010, 02:43 AM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

you know what

I had the driveway repaved into a larger surface area; so while the asphalt was drying I couldn't get my e60 into the garage; so I parked it in the front yard near the house doors; however it was parked on an __uneven___ dirt/rock/grass surface.

Next morning; TPMS low tire pressure warning on the passenger side front wheel... I fixed it by using
this this
and correcting the tire pressure; neither one was much off the 38 / 43 front rear recommendations; the right front wheel was only off by 1.5 PSI
Old 10-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

Oh man... I HATE that gauge... I went nutz at the Glen because I hit the wrong button and went into program mode... threw the thing out!

I just ordered this one... even has a release valve... oh yeah... always check your pressure... your ride comfort... braking... and high speed depend on it... tires expand with heat and with a five series you do not want to go above 40lbs... or your tires basically feel like hard plastic with no grip and you will rub the middle tread out within minutes...

try this gauge

http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product

Originally Posted by lim
you know what

I had the driveway repaved into a larger surface area; so while the asphalt was drying I couldn't get my e60 into the garage; so I parked it in the front yard near the house doors; however it was parked on an __uneven___ dirt/rock/grass surface.

Next morning; TPMS low tire pressure warning on the passenger side front wheel... I fixed it by using this and correcting the tire pressure; neither one was much off the 38 / 43 front rear recommendations; the right front wheel was only off by 1.5 PSI
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Contributors

I guess none of the 126 people who have read this thread has an answer. I'm going to a dealer tomorrow for something different and I'll try to talk to one of the service guys about it.
I'm not sure how this turned into a air pressure gauge thread either. Anybody know where I can get a good pic of a TPMS?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Members

I believe the RDC, TPMS controller, is in the trunk. Maybe it got disconnected. The 1st picture is the tire pressure sensor.
Attached Thumbnails TPMS question-pressuresensor.jpg   TPMS question-rdc.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Contributors

The reason I asked for a picture was to see if there was a way to replace the battery. It does look like a sealed unit so I guess if it fails you have to replace it.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Members

The reason a lot of tire shops are switching to nitrogen is because it is very dry. Moisture in air is what is causing the tire pressure to fluctuate enough to set off a low pressure alarm during cooler temperatures.

As far as testing an individual TPM sensor, I posted that question on this forum a couple weeks ago. The response I received was that you need a BMW computer, like the one used by the dealer, to be able to identify if a sensor is bad. What surprises me is that you were not able to reset your system. Maybe the front wheel sensor is slowly loosing its power and needs to be replaced. And yes, it is a copletely sealed unit. I know because I have four of them sitting on my work bench in my garage.

Quick Reply: TPMS question