E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM Malfunction - advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Sport

Hey guys,

Just picked up an 07 550i Sport.

So the car has a TPM Malfunction.

When I start the car, the TPM warning light blinks, then the bottom of the idrive screen says TPM Malfunction.
Eventually the TPM malfunction light stays solid amber in the dash. Car has all 4 TPM sensors in the wheels.

When I go to reset TPM in iDrive the TPM menu is greyed out.

This leads me to believe there is an issue with the module in the trunk.
I know these e60's can get water in the trunk and hurt the modules.

So I have a couple questions. First - is there a fuse I should check? Second, I guess I should clean the contacts and try again.

Third, I have found a used TPM module for a reasonable price, BUT it's out of an 07 M5. Will this just plug in or does it need to be "coded" to the car to function properly.

Thanks in advance,

George
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Contributors

It could be an individual TPMS ... or one of the receiver antennae that are located in the wheel well areas. Mine have always worked so I'm afraid I can't much more help.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Members

Neither the car will see the TPMS module in I drive, nor will our snap-on verdict scanner. I have a feeling the module isn't responding to the car.

First thing to check would be fuses, then the module itself.

Take care,

George
Old 07-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

If you were able to answer your own question, then why did you ask?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 AM
Members

I dont have / know the answer to this question:

Third, I have found a used TPM module for a reasonable price, BUT it's out of an 07 M5. Will this just plug in or does it need to be "coded" to the car to function properly.

I took out the original TPMS / RDC box. Its obviously had water in it for a while, corrosion and mildew all inside. I cleaned the entire board and got most of the visible corrosion off, and I left it out to dry. I will try it back in the car tonight, BUT I think it's dead, so it looks like I'm going to be replacing the RDC unit.

Take care,

George
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by androulakis
I dont have / know the answer to this question:
I took out the original TPMS / RDC box. Its obviously had water in it for a while, corrosion and mildew all inside. I cleaned the entire board and got most of the visible corrosion off, and I left it out to dry. I will try it back in the car tonight, BUT I think it's dead, so it looks like I'm going to be replacing the RDC unit.
Take care,
George
Guess you found the root of the problem and maybe (luck?) cleaning up the box will make it serviceable.

Check the part number for the module you found against the one in your car - or at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do ... if they match up you might be in business. And yes, I suspect a replacement will have to be coded to match your car. Whatever you wind up doing, fix the source of the water leak to avoid a repeat event!!

Good luck!!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Guess you found the root of the problem and maybe (luck?) cleaning up the box will make it serviceable.

Check the part number for the module you found against the one in your car - or at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do ... if they match up you might be in business. And yes, I suspect a replacement will have to be coded to match your car. Whatever you wind up doing, fix the source of the water leak to avoid a repeat event!!

Good luck!!
Apparently the part number has been superceeded a few times between 07 and 10. Also the SW version has too. Where are you in NJ anyway? I'm in Hamilton.

Take care,

George
Old 08-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

I have had an issue with the TPMS in the trunk before. Had a ice bag that melted

You just need to swap out the module for a new one. You don't have to be gung-ho about buying the exact same module that your car came with. The TPMS module has been revised a few times but is not changed (per my dealer). I picked up one from Ebay which was for an 06 M5 for $50 and it worked just fine. They all look the same, but the HW version should look similar to yours. Mine was rusted too and I just threw it away.

When you replace it, wrap it in plastic and airseal it, just so that future water pooling (which inturn might be due to blocked vents) don't cause it to blow up again.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
I have had an issue with the TPMS in the trunk before. Had a ice bag that melted

You just need to swap out the module for a new one. You don't have to be gung-ho about buying the exact same module that your car came with. The TPMS module has been revised a few times but is not changed (per my dealer). I picked up one from Ebay which was for an 06 M5 for $50 and it worked just fine. They all look the same, but the HW version should look similar to yours. Mine was rusted too and I just threw it away.

When you replace it, wrap it in plastic and airseal it, just so that future water pooling (which inturn might be due to blocked vents) don't cause it to blow up again.
I didn't have any luck with cleaning it, oh well...

I actually ordered a brand new one from ECS for $122.

I'm going to move that and the PDC controller to higher ground on the passenger side of the trunk.

Did you have to have it programmed or coded at the dealer or did the car just figure it out? Did you have to teach it the sensors? My range rover just figured it out when I swapped wheels (I bought used ones that had the TPMS valves in them). I think I can program the sensors via my Snap-On Verdict Scanner. Also my car has a donut spare, AND runflats, but the spare has a rubber valve stem, NOT a TPMS valve. Is this the way yours is too?

Thanks again,

George
Old 08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by androulakis
I didn't have any luck with cleaning it, oh well...

I actually ordered a brand new one from ECS for $122.

I'm going to move that and the PDC controller to higher ground on the passenger side of the trunk.

Did you have to have it programmed or coded at the dealer or did the car just figure it out? Did you have to teach it the sensors? My range rover just figured it out when I swapped wheels (I bought used ones that had the TPMS valves in them). I think I can program the sensors via my Snap-On Verdict Scanner. Also my car has a donut spare, AND runflats, but the spare has a rubber valve stem, NOT a TPMS valve. Is this the way yours is too?

Thanks again,

George
I replaced mine with a brand new one, works fine I didn't do any coding/programming. You have to drive the car to reset it.

Quick Reply: TPM Malfunction - advice.