E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmokn
While I agree that 5 to 7 years is the expected life span I have a GM vehicle going on 11 years with the original sensors with no issues. It also uses Beru sensors (same brand that BMW uses). I guess this is sort of like car batteries. Sometimes you get a really good one and other times you don't. I would imagine climate has something to do with it too. Extreme hot and cold takes a toll on batteries.
You can thank our government for trying to protect us from ourselves. I think the Firestone issue on the Ford Explorers had a lot to do with this. I guess on the plus side this might protect us from some other idiot that never checks his tire pressure causing a massive accident taking out innocent lives.
Actually, TPMS offer another (more important in my opinion) benefit.

In the "old days" it was kinda easy to spot (by eye) when your tires were low or not properly inflated.

However, proper tire pressure for low profile tires and (especially) Run Flats isn't as easily "seen by eye" so typically the sensors are designed to trigger a differential of 5-7PSI from the preset pressure. Sometimes that drop can occur during season changes and a drop of 30-40 degrees in ambient temperature ... letting the driver know their tire pressures should be checked and adjusted.

SO, if you don't check your tire pressures regularly, never collect a nail, or crack a wheel ... think of TPMS as a friendly reminder
Attached Thumbnails TPM malfunction-tire.jpg  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Come on guys read the entire post and ask the right questions lol

OP - Is that a photo of your car listed above? Do you have TPMS or FTM? What is the build date and model of your car? - That will be most helpful before you go out and purchase anything. I say this only because if you do have TPMS then you swapped wheels without checking to see if the TPMS can be fitted to the wheel you chose. If you do have TPMS where are your old sensors? Still in the OEM wheel?

Yes,that is my car, like I said before,I don't know much about cars.I know how to drive & which ones are nice,that's pretty much it.That's why I come on sites like this,I learn stuff from people who know more than I.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Ok, so it looks like you have an LCI from the front headlight corner but I can't tell so if you give a month/yr built then we can be more helpful. Another canadian mentioned that in canada 08 5 series only had TPMS. While I find that hard to believe, It can be possible. I would think that canadian cars are part of the north america market but probably discrepancies there too. BMW is complicating that way.

Metal valve stems usually do indicate that you have TPMS. However, I have a whole box of metal valve stems and I don't have TPMS. I like metal valve stems better personally. But chances are if you have an OEM wheel with run flats and metal stems then you have TPMS and the sensors are under that tire.