E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta go to dealership to get them programmed? really? shit,I might as well take the original ones outta my old wheels then.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by munge63
I gotta go to dealership to get them programmed? really? shit,I might as well take the original ones outta my old wheels then.
INCORRECT ... TPMS is reset in the iDrive menu ... Please read your owner's manual
Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Members

Grazie Luigi
Old 04-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Originally Posted by JimeE60
Yeah you need the whole thing, the sensor is the black part you see in the one pic. The stem attaches to it and it's installed from the inside of the wheel. The dealership will have to program them after they are installed.
Dealership doesn't have to program. Just do a TPMS reset via iDrive and then take it for a ride. It will learn the new sensors via this process.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]wow, how are the sensors powered? does it charge whenever the tyre rotates?[/font]
I think they have some type of Li battery. According to my research they last 5-7 years, battery can not be replaced, so when they go you have to replace the whole sensor. About $70 when it goes, $50 for the sensor and $20 to remount and balance tire.

As an aside, I understand why they do it, keep the tires inflated on a million cars and can save significant gas, but at what cost, an extra $300-$400/per car every 5 years. Seems like a scam.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Come on guys read the entire post and ask the right questions lol

OP - Is that a photo of your car listed above? Do you have TPMS or FTM? What is the build date and model of your car? - That will be most helpful before you go out and purchase anything. I say this only because if you do have TPMS then you swapped wheels without checking to see if the TPMS can be fitted to the wheel you chose. If you do have TPMS where are your old sensors? Still in the OEM wheel?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 PM
New Members

08 models are the only 5 series with TPMS sensors in Canada (at least that's what the dealer told me. Doh..). All others use rotational speed to figure out if one tire has lost pressure.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i. Alpine white with M sport option 05 S4. Black on black.

Originally Posted by ssmokn
Dealership doesn't have to program. Just do a TPMS reset via iDrive and then take it for a ride. It will learn the new sensors via this process.
Wow, no kidding. Every other car I have owned had to be programmed it was really annoying (Audi S4, 350Z, Porsche 911) I'm really surprised albeit happy to hear that..
Old 04-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by munge63
Grazie Luigi
No problem ... Grab an on-line version here ...

https://5series.net/information/

Easier to search than a paper copy!

Remember, there will be a test ... if you keep your BMW a long time, you will be tested over and over again
Old 04-29-2012, 04:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i xDrive, Space Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota Leather, automatic, comfort access, window shades, comfort seats, fold down rear seats, PDC, Navi, HUD, HD Radio, premium package, value package

Originally Posted by dgjk
I think they have some type of Li battery. According to my research they last 5-7 years, battery can not be replaced, so when they go you have to replace the whole sensor. About $70 when it goes, $50 for the sensor and $20 to remount and balance tire.

As an aside, I understand why they do it, keep the tires inflated on a million cars and can save significant gas, but at what cost, an extra $300-$400/per car every 5 years. Seems like a scam.
While I agree that 5 to 7 years is the expected life span I have a GM vehicle going on 11 years with the original sensors with no issues. It also uses Beru sensors (same brand that BMW uses). I guess this is sort of like car batteries. Sometimes you get a really good one and other times you don't. I would imagine climate has something to do with it too. Extreme hot and cold takes a toll on batteries.

You can thank our government for trying to protect us from ourselves. I think the Firestone issue on the Ford Explorers had a lot to do with this. I guess on the plus side this might protect us from some other idiot that never checks his tire pressure causing a massive accident taking out innocent lives.

Quick Reply: TPM malfunction