E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM affected by Cold Mornings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

We've gotten a few cold mornings and each time we've gotten a slight front (high 30's to 40's) my TPM sensor has told me to check my tires for low pressure. Its shown all 4 tires with issues. I've reset the TPM sensor each time after short warm up and get no other message.

Question is what can I do to stop this - set my TPM on a cold morning as they will always change as get warmer? Frankly I have not checked pressure of tires since the sensor seems to reset.

Suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Members

I had a similar error but when I checked my tire pressure it was actualy a couple of pounds low. Once filled up the error went away....Cold weather can affect the tire pressure by several pounds!

-Al
Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributors

Well we know that heat expands the pressure in our tires right? So would it have a reverse effect when the weather is cold? Shrinking our tire pressure? Try driving the car with the error from home to work, when you get to work, turn off the car and turn it back on, maybe it'll go away since your tires have heated up.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='345614' date='Oct 16 2006, 08:48 PM
Well we know that heat expands the pressure in our tires right? So would it have a reverse effect when the weather is cold? Shrinking our tire pressure? Try driving the car with the error from home to work, when you get to work, turn off the car and turn it back on, maybe it'll go away since your tires have heated up.
That's actually what happens, when car warms up, sensor goes back to normal.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Senior Members

I had the same issue late last week. I checked the pressure and found they were a little low. After adding air and doing a manual reset/calibration everything has been fine. If the 'problem' goes away after driving it may be that the air pressure is marginal.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

So the temp. outside is 45 degrees and falling, and the TPM warning is on for all 4 tires......so I figure, it's cold and Boyle's law has kicked in but the question is, do I add air now & let it back out in a day & a half when it warms up again. Or, do I just reset the TPM now & reset it again when the temp is back to normal.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Had this problem today when the temp hit +1F on the display in my car. I topped off the tires and manually reset the error as well. Haven't seen it since.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Since you're always supposed to check your tire pressures "cold", I'd be interested in knowing what the pressure actually reads when the TPM alerts that a tire is low.

It could be that the tires were warm when the system was initialized so a colder temperature will show a drop in pressure for sure.

Also, keep in mind that often times the slowest of leaks will leak more when cold...
Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i sport, Titanium Silver

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='513139' date='Jan 3 2008, 03:34 AM
Since you're always supposed to check your tire pressures "cold", I'd be interested in knowing what the pressure actually reads when the TPM alerts that a tire is low.

It could be that the tires were warm when the system was initialized so a colder temperature will show a drop in pressure for sure.

Also, keep in mind that often times the slowest of leaks will leak more when cold...
Hi everyone. Just wanted to let you know that I'm in Indiana (it's about 4 deg F today) and I've been plagued by TPM wackiness. I have a tire pressure gauge that I keep in the glovebox and my pressure has been, if anything a touch high but it keeps complaining. I actually have the car in the dealership today for a fix for that and some other electronic oddities (my iPod interface keeps dropping in and out).

I'm also going to (I hope) have the Dinan engine software installed. Nothing like an extra 80 hp to make your day!

Cheers!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Senior Members

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BMWFan' post='345612' date='Oct 16 2006, 06:46 PM
I had a similar error but when I checked my tire pressure it was actualy a couple of pounds low. Once filled up the error went away....Cold weather can affect the tire pressure by several pounds!-Al
I have Nitrogen in my tires, No TPM display so far, even with below zero-F temperatures
Every 10 degree temperature (F) changes psi by 1-PSI

Quick Reply: TPM affected by Cold Mornings?