E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Towbar electrics set off air bag warning - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Had a Witter towbar fitted to pull my boat. Plug in trailer for the first time and the seatbelt tensioner and airbags red warning light came on saying that they are inactive. I have checked the plug and all appears ok. Even when unplugged the warning is still there.

Does anyone have any ideas on a solution?

Thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Disconnect the trailer from the towbar and see if the problem goes away. Either the car senses the increased load or you screwed something up with the wiring.

The E60 really isn't meant for towing - especially something as large as a boat.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:24 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by pukka
The E60 really isn't meant for towing -

You are kidding right?

If it does not clear then it is possible the wiring has messed up the control module.

Who did the wiring?

If you need to replace the control module you are looking at $1000 or more, hopefully it will be something simpler.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

The E60 really isn't meant for towing - especially something as large as a boat.
That's funny and the common thought of many people here in the states. Its because people here don't see it done daily.

Most likely a wiring issue, but could have been a coincidence.
Did the lights work correctly when plugged in?

Once the airbag light goes on the only way you can remove it is at the dealer, even thought you fixed the issue.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by KAF
You are kidding right?

Originally Posted by healthservices
That's funny and the common thought of many people here in the states. Its because people here don't see it done daily.
Sorry if I offended anybody - I did see a few cars in Europe with tow hitches mounted. I forgot Pickup Trucks and SUV's don't exist over there like they do here.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Sorry if I offended anybody - I did see a few cars in Europe with tow hitches mounted. I forgot Pickup Trucks and SUV's don't exist over there like they do here.
yeah, it's a rare sight to see someone towing a boat with a car here in the US, but is a lot more common abroad.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KAF
You are kidding right?

If it does not clear then it is possible the wiring has messed up the control module.

Who did the wiring?

If you need to replace the control module you are looking at $1000 or more, hopefully it will be something simpler.
Thanks for the reply.

The wiring was done by a towbar fitting company and is a dedicated loom for the E60 so the car senses if the trailer is out of control etc. Do you think I will get the control module under warranty or will they know?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by healthservices

Most likely a wiring issue, but could have been a coincidence.
Did the lights work correctly when plugged in?

Once the airbag light goes on the only way you can remove it is at the dealer, even thought you fixed the issue.
Thanks for the reply.

No when plugged in the all the lights worked on the trailer except the left indicator. ANy ideas what this may be?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Members

UPDATE:

I have just had a look at the 13 pin plug on the trailer and found water inside the plug where the screw in terminals are for the cable to attached to the plug. A number of the screw connectors are showing signs of corosion. Could this have shorted the system?

Your thoughts are appriciated
Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Members

I'd say the can bus interface box for the tow hitch is playing up / faulty.

Water or faults in the 13 pin connector should be fused and isolated from the rest of the car and should cause not side effects even if seriously abused.

Quick Reply: Towbar electrics set off air bag warning - HELP!!