E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total Meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I've not driven my car for about 11 or 12 days, today the alarm was going off (but with no visual warning like flashing hazards).

At first I couldn't turn off the alarm, eventually after repeated key pressing I managed to kill it.

The central locking wouldn't open the door, eventually the drivers side struggled open.

Then I tried starting the car, no i-drive at all and the central display freaked out a bit, e.g. reported 50 celsius, got a few random lines on the central screen. Then pretty much dead, I can't lock the doors any more, even just using the key.

There is a tech coming in the next three hours so I will let you guys know.

I don't mind too much now, because I don't need my car until Tuesday morning and I'm nice and cosy at home, but what if the car was at airport parking and you have a two week holiday ?, not an especially unlikely scenario. I would be mighty annoyed then.

Please don't tell me the battery can't last 2 weeks without being charged
Old 01-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Jan 9 2005, 10:22 AM
Please don't tell me the battery can't last 2 weeks without being charged?
[snapback]77409[/snapback]
The new 7 series had lots of problems just like this when it first came out. Have not heard of it happening on the 5, but the symptoms are the same.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by robg' date='Jan 9 2005, 12:54 PM
[quote name='browellm' date='Jan 9 2005, 10:22 AM']
The new 7 series had lots of problems just like this when it first came out. Have not heard of it happening on the 5, but the symptoms are the same.
[snapback]77493[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi there. I bought my E60 525D end May and had flat battery in October, November then December. Can you believe it, last time a tow truck had to come tow it out of my garage !
I have been advised a more up to date software rev is part of the problem. I left the car with the dealer for a week when on holiday and they updated it (mid-Dec) to - don't know version.
So far so good. Before I could not leave it for 48hours. I recently left it 3 days and no problem. So I am working on the basis they fixed it now.

Now I just need to get those squeaking doors fixed (read all the carboflo threads, but last time dealer just replaced all 4 seals).
Old 01-20-2005, 01:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

That's odd! Did You dealer told You what exactly caused battery drain? I have Webasto in my car and I use it quite often, but still no problems with car. (Webasto is diesel burner with pump to circulate coolant in motor and cabin heater, system also runs cars own fan to warm up cabin)

Skaffa
Old 01-20-2005, 02:20 AM
Senior Members

I have left my car for a month with no problem. On another occasion I disconnected the battery just in case and had no problems on re-connection.

It does sound like in your instance that something is drawing current that should not be.

Good luck.

Streak
Old 01-20-2005, 03:26 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530dA 05/2004

Hi,

I had a "call-back" letter a few weeks ago pointing out that due to some software probs the battery could run down. Some devices won't shut down completely.

This should happen at low temperatures.

Had to do a softwareupdate.

Probably a known problem?

rasailor
Old 01-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Jan 9 2005, 04:22 PM
The battery can handle it.
I never had this problem, even with a tracking device hooked up to the battery. After two weeks without driving and temperatures around freezing, I was still able to start the engine. The only thing that didn't worked was the external heater. The car decided to ignore my command, because that would have drained the battery.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

I left my car for 3 weeks without driving it. It started right up.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

Well I found out the problem.

After my car was rear-ended in an accident about 2 months ago, the BMW bodyshop failed to adequately seal a portion of the car around the new bumper and rear light assembly. As such, there has been water ingress into the battery compartment, to the extent that when examined the battery was sat in about 3"/10cm of water .

The repair is now being done properly and I should have the car back this weekend.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:15 AM
JDN
Contributors

That's a better ending than I was expecting. At least our BMW buddies were not at fault. Everything is go with my car now. Various entities of BMW checked with me three times yesterday to make sure everything was working.

Quick Reply: Total Meltdown