E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the car to the Stealer today

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

It's that time of year that my car needs to get a State Inspection. I usually take it to a local shop but since the car needed to be checked for that brake recall I just had the stealer do the state inspection. I personally checked the car yesterday making sure it does not need anything little that the stealer would ask and arm and a leg for. Checked the lights, brakes, tires, fluids, etc. Everything checked OK. Later last night the idiot light came on saying my right rear brake light was out. Checked it and it was fine. Turned off the car and the idiot light went off. So this morning when I arrive at the stealer the idiot light comes on again and again I checked and everything was fine. Told a tech and he looked at it and said "it's a BMW these sort of things happen" and not to worry about it. Everything was cool. Later I get a call from the stealer saying car was fine, everything checked out perfect but the right rear brake bulb was out and needed to be replaced to pass inspection. I told them the above story and I was told that it was probably "starting to go out" and finally burnt out. I was "when does start to go out"? Again I was told the bulb went out. I told them if the bulb does not cost some crazy amount of money to go ahead and replace it or I would do it myself. I was told that it would cost no more than a few dollars. I was like cool. No more then 5 minuets later I get another call saying the car is done. I go to pick up my car and get the invoice and it seems a odd, Total price $108. I was this can't be right. State Inspection is $59.95 + tax ($63.55). The bulb could not have been $45. I look and the price of the bulb it is only $2.32 + tax ($2.46) right below it has installation of bub $39.95 +tax ($42.35), MY JAW DROPPED. The receptionist saw this and asked if there was a problem. I was like is this right? She said yes. Again I said you must be kidding right, she was like no sir that is what it costs a standard 1/2 hour fee/ I was like it only takes 5 min MAX blindfolded to replace this bulb. I ask to speak to the service manager. He comes out and tell me the same story, standard fee blah blah blah. I was like how do you charge $60 to do a State Inspection which involves removing the wheels and checking the brake thickness, checking all tires tread depth, running a full emissions check including a gas cap pressure test, checking all the lights, fluids, wipers and a slew of other things and then turn around and charge me $40 to do a simple bulb replacement. $60 for over an hours worth of labor vs $40 for a few minuits at best. He had no answer. I was like the darn bulb was OK, even the tech saw it and said the same. On top of that they told me it would cost a few dollars and I said the heck with it replace it. Never was I told labor would be 1700% of part cost. He told me the same story again. I was like I'll pay a few dollars for labor but not $40+ dollars, if not take the bulb back out. Finally after a few minutes he decided to waive the fee but warned me for next time. In all my years around cars I heard of crooks but this was the craziest thing I have ever saw. Do other people just pay and let it be? <Rant off>

BP
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unbelievable. Well actually, it IS believable, unfortunately. BMW of Manhattan is famous for this kind of crap.

An ethical service advisor who knows you are trying to not put his kids through college will either waive it from the outset or just tell you to get it fixed. I had a similar incident at a dealer with a marginal tire and state inspection but when it became clear to them that no, I wasn't going to pay them $1200 for 2 rear tires they just waived it through.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

It's always parts + labor, even for a $2 part, they will add labor. When quoted price, always ask for the installed price.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Dude, like I said on the other post, time is money. If it was no big deal then you should have done it yourself. Look at how many people go down to the 7-11 to buy a soda at the cost that would normally buy half a six pack of the same item.

If you want convenience go to the dealer, if you want to save money shop around, or do it yourself.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Originally Posted by healthservices
Dude, like I said on the other post, time is money. If it was no big deal then you should have done it yourself. Look at how many people go down to the 7-11 to buy a soda at the cost that would normally buy half a six pack of the same item.
"time is money" true, but in this case it is BS. $60 for one plus hour of labor for the State Inspection but $40 for 5 min at most labor to replace a bulb, a simple bulb at that.

I would have replaced the bulb but it was not burnt out (even the 1st tech said so). It was just the idiot light that came on on two or three different occasions and later went out. Every time that idiot light came on I checked and the bulb worked. I even have a bulb in the trunk from changing one last year. It was not about me not doing it myself as I can can that entire car apart and put it back together if I had to, it was about taking advantage of someone. I bet 99% of people just pay it and go on their way.

BP
Old 01-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr
"time is money", trues but this is BS.

$60 for one hour plus of labor for the State Inspection but $40 for 5 min at most to replace a bulb.

I would have replaced the bulb but it was not burnt out (even the 1st tech said so) it was just the idiot light. Every time that idiot light cam on I checked and the bulb worked. I even have a bulb in the trunk from changing one last year some time. It was not about me not doing it myself as I can can that entire car apart and put it back together if I had to.

BP

But you elected not to. It's no longer your time once you let 'him' do it. As for pricing, the tech has no say, the service advisor does most of the pricing. The Tech would have no idea what is charged to the customer. Don't be surprised if the tech gets the rest of the day off for talking to you and implying it was going to be just a couple bucks.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Charging $40 for replacing a bulb is just plain dumb, and bad business as well because it just pisses people off.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Contributors

You did not pay just to have the bulb replaced, you paid to have the warning light diagnosed, and subsequently the bulb was replaced. You had the charges removed. If the warning light comes on again, don?t be surprised if you get charged for lot more diagnostic time if you come in for the same issue again.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hahahha I laughed when i read this post.

My SA would have said go buy the bulb at the parts counter and I'll replace it for you right now. (no charge)
Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Hahahha I laughed when i read this post.

My SA would have said go buy the bulb at the parts counter and I'll replace it for you right now. (no charge)
Most likely what mine would have done too. But if it gets charged on the service ticket

However, I don't expect the dealer to do anything for free, but when they do...

Quick Reply: Took the car to the Stealer today