E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tons of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -04 530D

Welcome derrickj!

You find people here 24/7, so this is faster than any helping phone.

Skaffa
Old 01-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

:whistles: WELCOME!
Iceman is too late. Too many people have welcomed him (watch the next post, it will be iceman saying welcome)
Old 01-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Welcome!

Another DFW member is great
Old 01-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Bokke' date='Jan 17 2005, 02:03 PM
Welcome!

Another DFW member is great?
[snapback]80097[/snapback]
You guys are going to be able to have a mini-meet. I can count at least 3 DFW's, any more?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jan 17 2005, 02:10 PM
[quote name='Bokke' date='Jan 17 2005, 02:03 PM']Welcome!

Another DFW member is great?
[snapback]80097[/snapback]
You guys are going to be able to have a mini-meet. I can count at least 3 DFW's, any more?
[snapback]80100[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thank you all for your responses and warm reception, this site is great.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:37 PM
JDN
Contributors

Whose your dealer in Dallas, derrickj? I'm using BMW of Dallas, formerly John Roberts, and I find them a bit lacking on the technical side for this car. They were great with the 540.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Jan 16 2005, 10:25 PM
Wow, I just started on this site after doing a Google search and found it to be a wealth of information, however, some it is very confusing to me.? So if someone(s) would be so kind, I would like to see if there is some concrete answers to these questions regarding my 2004 545i with the Sport Package and Navigation (incindentally my first BMW and I am thrilled).

1) Door shows mfg date of 08/04, how do I get the exact build date?
2) I do not have Sat prep, but I do have an appt with my dealer to have Sirius installed, sounds like this is impossible, yet they have scheduled the appointment?
3) How do I know my Software Version and should I ask the dealer to upgrade it?
4) I have a Communication Screen, but it does not show "Bluetooth" on it, however, I have a card that came with my car that has a Bluetooth PassKey number on it.? It does not appear to have been activated, and I definitely want Bluetooth.
5)I have no RDS, can I get it?
6)When I go to my "CD" screen, it shows an option for "DVD", is it possible to get this to play DVD's through the Navigation disk?? I can't get the I-drive to actually highlight DVD, so I know the functionality is disabled.

Thank you in advance for your help, I cant believe how interesting this site is!
[snapback]79907[/snapback]
Derrick,
Download the service January 05 service bulletin I posted this morning and take it to your dealer. It is the offical BMWNA procedure for updating software on pre Sept 04 build E60s to retrofit Bluetooth. The passkey card is merely evidence that they sold you a BT car that didn't have BT. They are going to try to charge you for the BT retrofit because the service bulletin tells them that this is not a warranty item. This is pure BS. Several members report paying around $100. Most people are not going to fight over $100, but it really is not justified. They sold us cars with BT as evidenced by the passkey card. Why should we pay to make it work? We should resist this charge on principle.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by dfndr' date='Jan 17 2005, 08:29 PM
[quote name='derrickj' date='Jan 16 2005, 10:25 PM']Wow, I just started on this site after doing a Google search and found it to be a wealth of information, however, some it is very confusing to me.? So if someone(s) would be so kind, I would like to see if there is some concrete answers to these questions regarding my 2004 545i with the Sport Package and Navigation (incindentally my first BMW and I am thrilled).

2) I do not have Sat prep, but I do have an appt with my dealer to have Sirius installed, sounds like this is impossible, yet they have scheduled the appointment?
4) I have a Communication Screen, but it does not show "Bluetooth" on it, however, I have a card that came with my car that has a Bluetooth PassKey number on it.? It does not appear to have been activated, and I definitely want Bluetooth.
6)When I go to my "CD" screen, it shows an option for "DVD", is it possible to get this to play DVD's through the Navigation disk?? I can't get the I-drive to actually highlight DVD, so I know the functionality is disabled.

Thank you in advance for your help, I cant believe how interesting this site is!
Derrick,
Download the service January 05 service bulletin I posted this morning and take it to your dealer. It is the offical BMWNA procedure for updating software on pre Sept 04 build E60s to retrofit Bluetooth. The passkey card is merely evidence that they sold you a BT car that didn't have BT. They are going to try to charge you for the BT retrofit because the service bulletin tells them that this is not a warranty item. This is pure BS. Several members report paying around $100. Most people are not going to fight over $100, but it really is not justified. They sold us cars with BT as evidenced by the passkey card. Why should we pay to make it work? We should resist this charge on principle.
[snapback]80213[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am using BMW of Dallas. I do not have any service history with them, so I can not comment. I will take the bulletin, however, I am going to take a slightly different approach. They are updating my software to the latest version to take care of some slight issues I am having. My guess is by the letter of the service bulletin my bluetooth will automatically be added. If it doesn't work, I will then press the issue. I am a little hesitant to attempt to force them to do it, as this is my first visit (I purchased in San Antonio and moved here), and I want to see how they perform without coercien. My initial thought is that I may disappointed because the primary reason for my visit is to have the Sirius installed and by everything I have read on here, it is impossible because I do not have Sat prep, I guess I will find out.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Jan 17 2005, 09:49 PM
[quote name='dfndr' date='Jan 17 2005, 08:29 PM'][quote name='derrickj' date='Jan 16 2005, 10:25 PM']Wow, I just started on this site after doing a Google search and found it to be a wealth of information, however, some it is very confusing to me.? So if someone(s) would be so kind, I would like to see if there is some concrete answers to these questions regarding my 2004 545i with the Sport Package and Navigation (incindentally my first BMW and I am thrilled).

Derrick,
[snapback]80213[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am using BMW of Dallas. I do not have any service history with them, so I can not comment. I will take the bulletin, however, I am going to take a slightly different approach. They are updating my software to the latest version to take care of some slight issues I am having. My guess is by the letter of the service bulletin my bluetooth will automatically be added. If it doesn't work, I will then press the issue. I am a little hesitant to attempt to force them to do it, as this is my first visit (I purchased in San Antonio and moved here), and I want to see how they perform without coercien. My initial thought is that I may disappointed because the primary reason for my visit is to have the Sirius installed and by everything I have read on here, it is impossible because I do not have Sat prep, I guess I will find out.
[snapback]80220[/snapback]
[/quote]
Once they read the service bulletin, they will not give you a hard time about BT.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributors

[/quote]
Once they read the service bulletin, they will not give you a hard time about BT.
[snapback]80221[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just didn't want them to charge me. The service bulletin in bold states that it is done at the customer's expense. I don't want them to upgrade my software for my other issues but charge me because I asked for the bluetooth functionality, which would be inherently included in the software upgrade. But either way, I will get it done and I really appreciate the bulletin. I have it printed and ready!

Quick Reply: Tons of Questions