E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TMC not working after CIP upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI.

I've browsed through the forums but haven't found anything to help as yet so I'm posting anew ...

Our CIP was upgraded or re-installed by the dealer last week, and we noticed that we were no longer getting traffic information , despite it being enabled in the settings menu. The Traffic window just said something like "no service" or "no reception".
On parking the car at Heathrow over the weekend, when I picked it up again yesterday the traffic info was there! Unfortunately today it's gone again ...

From what I understand, Classic FM is the only station to broadcast it, so is that that the CFM signal was strong enough in London, but now I've driven back out to the sticks it's not getting it anymore?
This would make sense apart from two things :
1) It's always worked before
2) I can listen to Classic FM in the car with seemingly excellent reception.

Anyone else had a similar problem and know of a fix, or is it just that the software ugprade has stuffed up something ...
Old 04-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

I just think the TMC function is OFF.. When our car gets a CIP update, it always returns with the TMC funtion turned OFF...

Go into the "setup" menu, and enable TMC in the Traffic information menu....
Old 04-06-2006, 03:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

My TMC is working fine, also in Berkshire. I havn't checked this setting today, but i'm sure that TMC is set to auto, not any specific station, may be worth a try..
Old 04-06-2006, 04:34 AM
jcp
Members

My Ride: 530i M Sport Touring LCI. Platinum Gray. Beige Dakota leather. Brushed Aluminium trim. Media package. Side blinds. Auto dim mirrors. Comfort seats. Storage compartment pack. Extended interior light package. HUD. DVD prep in rear. IPOD interface.

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' post='265399' date='Apr 6 2006, 12:31 PM
My TMC is working fine, also in Berkshire. I havn't checked this setting today, but i'm sure that TMC is set to auto, not any specific station, may be worth a try..
I'm in Berkshire as well and some mornings it works fine, others it doesn't work at all until I get into London. Nearly always ok in the evening though, starting from London. I guess it's down to signal strength. Trouble is, mornings is when I really need it...
Old 04-06-2006, 05:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jcp' post='265416' date='Apr 6 2006, 01:34 PM
I'm in Berkshire as well and some mornings it works fine, others it doesn't work at all until I get into London. Nearly always ok in the evening though, starting from London. I guess it's down to signal strength. Trouble is, mornings is when I really need it...
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Yep, it worked briefly in Newbury yesterday, and for about 5 minutes on the M4 this morning!
Definitely feels like a signal issue, although I've no problem in getting Classic FM.
Have you noticed it being worse recently? I've only really had a problem since last week's service/upgrade but it may just be a coincidence.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Originally Posted by DrCarrera' post='265463' date='Apr 6 2006, 08:58 AM

Yep, it worked briefly in Newbury yesterday, and for about 5 minutes on the M4 this morning!
Definitely feels like a signal issue, although I've no problem in getting Classic FM.
Have you noticed it being worse recently? I've only really had a problem since last week's service/upgrade but it may just be a coincidence.
It may be a coincidence, today driving on M4 to Maidenhead I payed attention & noticed the TMC indicator coming & going, I've never noticed that before. It does seem to be a general problem at the moment!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

I have had the the opposite with TMC since v20 was installed, it now works great.

My history is as follows:

v11 - TMC reception not brilliant.
v12 - TMC excellent
v13 - TMC absolutely terrible
V20 - Woohoo it works as it should.

The workaround I always used during my 12 months or so with v13 software was to tune to Classic FM, before selecting whatever source I wanted (if I wanted another FM station - tough luck!).

This would seem to force the system to acquire a lock on TMC. Fortunately now I don't have to do that.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:35 AM
jcp
Members

My Ride: 530i M Sport Touring LCI. Platinum Gray. Beige Dakota leather. Brushed Aluminium trim. Media package. Side blinds. Auto dim mirrors. Comfort seats. Storage compartment pack. Extended interior light package. HUD. DVD prep in rear. IPOD interface.

Originally Posted by DrCarrera' post='265463' date='Apr 6 2006, 02:58 PM

I haven't had any software updates or changes to the car, but have noticed this become much worse in the last 3 weeks or so. Before that it was pretty good.