E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

tire and wheel protection- dealer not covering

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much to say. BMW does not offer any insurance for road hazard, wheels, tires. Just to clarify further, this statement is for BMW of North America and things might be different in other markets.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='414424' date='Apr 16 2007, 05:26 PM
Not much to say. BMW NA does not offer any insurance for road hazard, wheels, tires.
Never has, that's the territory of third party vendors, many of which also sell extended warranties. My dealer does not offer tire/wheel insurance (they would lose a tonne of money here in New Orleans!) and I guarantee if BMWNA offered it, every sales person at my dealer would be pushing it. Having bought three cars through them, it has never been mentioned. Maybe they offer different things in Canada. Do you guys get the 4 yr/50k warranty and maintenance up there? Can't recall....
Old 04-17-2007, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='414464' date='Apr 16 2007, 07:57 PM
Never has, that's the territory of third party vendors, many of which also sell extended warranties. My dealer does not offer tire/wheel insurance (they would lose a tonne of money here in New Orleans!) and I guarantee if BMWNA offered it, every sales person at my dealer would be pushing it. Having bought three cars through them, it has never been mentioned. Maybe they offer different things in Canada. Do you guys get the 4 yr/50k warranty and maintenance up there? Can't recall....
Yes we do......the wheel coverage may be through a third party vendor but here in Canada it's offered by BMW at the time you purchase your vehicle...BMW Canada has some kind of agreement with an outside company to provide wheel coverage...if a problem occurs with this coverage I wouldn't contact the third party coverage provider since I don't even know who they are (and frankly I don't care)! It was sold to me as a BMW product..therefore any descrepencies I may have with this coverage would be directly taken up with BMW Canada.

My answer was based on the OP stating the dealer wouldn't replace the wheel...if the product was sold by the dealer...it's a BMW approved or certified product/service..therefore any problems with the service should be dealt with at dealer level and if the problem persists with the dealer..then BMWNA !

btw. I've already had a flat tire replaced under the 'wheel protection plan' on the brochure it also states bent rims from potholes etc....
Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='414727' date='Apr 17 2007, 09:05 AM
My answer was based on the OP stating the dealer wouldn't replace the wheel...if the product was sold by the dealer...it's a BMW approved or certified product/service..therefore any problems with the service should be dealt with at dealer level and if the problem persists with the dealer..then BMWNA !
Not trying to be argumentative, but I will have to respectfully disagree. Just because the dealer offers a product does not mean it is approved by BMWNA. At least in the U.S., where dealers are independent with little control exerted from BMWNA. Just look at the totally inconsistent service offered dealer-to-dealer! Clealry you guys have a different arrangement in Canada concerning the tire insurance but the OP is in the U.S.

For example I just sat down to talk to my dealer about an extended warranty for my car. I was exhaustively walked through the two options they offered, the official BMW extended warranty and a third party warranty which was actually a better offering for the price (covered electronics where as the BMW offering does not). I explicitly asked about nationwide coverage of this third-party warranty as I am also considering buying a new car and selling/trading my car at some point. This third-party warranty is not a BMW product nor is it approved by BMWNA, it is a third party used by my dealer and not all BMW dealers in the U.S. Any and all claims are filed with the vendor and not BMWNA or even the local dealer. The dealer administers the plan for their location, and it usually takes a simple phone call to the vendor to get a repair approved but it is not the the dealer or BMWNA making the decision. It is the third-party vendor...

Clealry the OP, as was pointed out early on in this thread, needs to have his friend pull out the original contract and read the fine print. It should all be pretty self explanatory as to whether only the original tires are covered or any tires on the car covered. Would not be surprised to find out the local dealer was trying to rip him off or does not fully understand the tire insurance offering they carry...