E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tire Rotation

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
uncleb

I have a 2206 530i that I have had for approx 10K miles. I have been thining that I need to get the tires rotated but have seen some conflicting info. Can someone please confirm that rotation is something that is required on the E60's. I have the saem size tires all around.

Thanks,
B
Old 02-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uncleb' post='783432' date='Feb 2 2009, 05:26 PM
I have a 2206 530i that I have had for approx 10K miles. I have been thining that I need to get the tires rotated but have seen some conflicting info. Can someone please confirm that rotation is something that is required on the E60's. I have the saem size tires all around.

Thanks,
B
Mixed views on rotation of tires. But on BMWs, even with same size tires on every corner, the suspension set up creates unique wear patterns for each tire. And, it is generally recommended that - especially if tires are "directional" - that they not be cross rotated.

My experience over the past 20+ years is not to rotate ... depending on driving style replace tires in pairs or sets of 4 when tread depth is thin. Watch out especially for tread wear on the inside portion of the rear tires on BMWs. Sometimes the outer tread looks pretty good but the inside is bald!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by uncleb' post='783432' date='Feb 2 2009, 05:26 PM

Thanks,
B
Since you have the same size tire all around, then rotating is not a bad idea.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I've always rotated my same-size tires on my BMWs and it seems to improve average life-span. I've never felt a difference in driving and handling.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 530xi. Silver Gray Metalllic Cold Weather Package, Steptronic, Dark Poplar Wood trim, Xenon Headlights - Adaptive, Navigation, BMW Assist w/Bluetooth, Premium Package. Smokers Package

Definitely rotate. It evens out th wear
Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

I never get why people rotate tyres, I know its rather popular in the states but no where else really seems so big on it. All i can see it does is spread the life of tyre wear across all four tyres. It must unsettle the car somewhat as each tyre on the car will have bedded in to the suspension geometry on that corner then you take the tyre and move it to another wheel with totally different geo. The tyre now isnt even a new tyre bedding in it can be one with a totally oposite tread wear to the wheel its now fitted to(effectively reducing the tyres performance for some time). Its not like the tyres are ever going to age and perish if they are left in their current position and the only down side is that you may have to change the drive tyres slightly sooner but over all your still buying the same amount of tyres in the long run.

Im not bashing anyone who does rotate I just personally dont see what the benefit is.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

The benefit of tyre rotations lies in improving tyre life. Period - no debate about it.

My original Contis' from Munich lasted barely 30K miles without rotation. The tread was just about gone on the rear tyres when I got my Michelin PS/2s.

I have rotated these RELIGIOUSLY every 5K miles. Result - Im on 72K miles and the tyres still look great!

There is no question about this -- ROTATE. Any tyre shop/professional tyre dealer will tell you the same thing...
Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='783816' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:02 AM
The benefit of tyre rotations lies in improving tyre life. Period - no debate about it.

My original Contis' from Munich lasted barely 30K miles without rotation. The tread was just about gone on the rear tyres when I got my Michelin PS/2s.

I have rotated these RELIGIOUSLY every 5K miles. Result - Im on 72K miles and the tyres still look great!

There is no question about this -- ROTATE. Any tyre shop/professional tyre dealer will tell you the same thing...
isn't 545i tires staggered? hw are you suppose to rotate it? left to right?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by unlimited90' post='783824' date='Feb 3 2009, 02:17 AM
isn't 545i tires staggered? hw are you suppose to rotate it? left to right?
I don't have the sports packge so my tyres are not staggered. They're 17s all around. I rotate them front/back, left and right.... Discount tyre does them for me as does my BMW Svc Center, btw...
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='783816' date='Feb 3 2009, 07:02 AM

Comparing one tyre make to another isnt a fair comaprison Conti sport contacts have softer tread compound to PS2 so it means nothing. Wheel position doesnt suddenly stop wearing a tyre because you have rotated it, your just wearing the same rubber from another tyre. In fact a tyre that has bedded in on another position will wear more until its bedded into the new position and the whole tyre has proper contact again.

Quick Reply: Tire Rotation