E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

tire problems on OEM 17" continental touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

i changed out my rims when i got 4k miles on my e60 a year ago.
i finally decide to sell them and i was planning to sell the tires and wheels separately (so i can remove the TPM sensors)
so i have them unmounted, and the buyer of the tires were going to mount them on his wheels.
guess what, 3 out of 4 tires have bubbles on the sidewall when it's mounted!

does anyone have any problems on the OEM conti 17" 225/50/17 that pretty much comes in all 525/530i non-sport? i don't expect to see this problem on tires with only 4k miles and was sitting in the garage for the past 1 year.
is that a conti warranty or thru bmw? i called conti and they asked me to check with the tire dealer (like america's tires), i called them and they asked me to bring it in to have them check it out.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:00 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

I had the same problem when I had a flat fixed. The tire dealer was most likely the cause of the problem. When they took the tire off the rim, they reverse bent the tire at the junction of the sidewall and tread so far with the tire machine that it caused the tire to crack on the inside at that point. When they remounted the tire and filled it with air, it had a bubble at that point. They claimed it must have been a defective tire, but paid for half of a new tire anyway. I watched the guy take the tire off, and there is no doubt in my mind what happened. On my next flat, I went to a tire dealer recommended by my BMW dealer, I explained to them my concen on how the tire was taken off the rim, and they assured me that they did not stress the tire to that extent when dismounting it. They fixed the flat with no problems.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

MDT is right, but it can happen even when the tire is removed properly. I had it happen to one of my PS2's at my BMW dealer when they patched a puncture and remounted the tire. But three out of four sounds like the tire shop did...
Old 10-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

i watched the shop did the work, and don't think they did anything too out of the ordinary. they didn't reverse bend the tire but did pry it off using this machine, which i thought it's normal. the potential buyer and me watch them did it, so i think they should be more careful?! however it seems like there's little scratch on the rims when they took the tires off...
i did it at big o tire, and i called continental and they asked me to call america's tire which is one of their dealer to work with warranty issue. i called america's tire and they asked me to bring them in.
but if they will prorate me on the same tires, that will be sort of useless since i was going to sell them anyways. so kscarrol, did they say you are out of luck, or you have some sort of warranty? i will be pi** if that happens on the PS2!