E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tire pressures

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

I also run mine (19") on 36/40 as standard and am pretty happy.
I usually check and adjust if necessary weekly.

Going on holiday with the car loaded or driving in Germany (huge high speed use) I put a couple psi more in
Old 06-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The tyre pressures is the most important thing, after the tyres,
for the handling of the car!

The recommendations on our E60's can be found in the B-pillar
(and in the manual) and one should never go belove them.

I usually drive with 1-2 pers in car so I go with the lower recommendation
+ about 10 %.
You can see what tires and chassi I have in the sign.

The wisest I can say is;
Try it out, but if you are about to race, fill them up with +20-30 % of the highest value.

Get rid of your RF's and do not buy too wide and low tyres.

PS. The E60 must have more pressure in the rear tyres!!!

ZNOD: Everyday driving is not drag racing, fill up your rears for safe handling in the curves!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by E60VTA' post='292035' date='Jun 3 2006, 01:27 PM
I use 35 PSI front and 39 PSI rear on my PS2 tires. The ride is superior to that of 18" RFTs and the handling is superb. I use a digital tire pressure gauge and check/adjust tire pressure every two weeks.
Do you have 19's? I could not rid myself of a vibration in the rear with my original 19's/PS2's. My dealer did everything imaginable and then ordered new PS2's under warranty. They resulted in less vibration. But, my current set up, 32 rears and 34 fronts, reduces the vibration even more, but I can still feel it on really smooth, excellent roads.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by bruceholmes' post='291806' date='Jun 2 2006, 09:17 PM
I'm amazed by the paucity of information pertaining to tire pressures that anybody uses!!!!!!!!!!!!!! doesn't anybody do auto crossing in these cars????? I can hardly believe that anybody is going to own a car like this and not have a good tire pressure gauge!!!!!!!!! tires and the pressure at which they are run can transform the ride, handling and braking characteristics of your car. Why buy a performance oriented car not care about one of the most significant factors affecting its performance?

Come on somebody must have more info!!!!!!!!!!
What paucity are you referring to? BMW's recommendations are readily available from several sources, and many have stated their preferences. I guess someone said that he or she didn't have a good tire pressure guage or that he or she didn't care about tire pressure, but obviously the vast majority us, or at least those participating in this thread, do care. And, why would anyone want to autocross a biggish sedan? Performance car or not, I didn't buy my 545i to go to the track. I didn't even buy my Z06 to go to the track. I also think that most of us know that tire pressures affects performance, tire wear, safety, and ride. Finally, if you search, for example, on tire pressure, then you will find a great deal more info.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The 19" are almost too large wheels for the E60, if the car isn't brand new.

Remember that the E60's great handling has to do with light
bearings especially in the front help frame - that is glued and
bolted to the cockpit.

BMW's has always been really sensitive to wheel balance (and tyre
pressure).

What's new in the world (?)
This is the reason why I don't buy Pirelli's (Italian BS)
nor Replica wheels.
In the long run they get expensive.

Experience...
Old 06-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Contributors

I run 34f, 36r on 18" ps2s. I thought that lower tire pressure would give better handling as the tire contact patch would be larger. They would then heat up to at least 40psi.

Tire pressure is important, but these cars are not go-carts and will not be as sensitive to tire pressure.