E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire monitoring system ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 06:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

I have read some posts on the tire monitoring system, but still have some questions. It is my understanding the system works by monitoring tire rotation & is standard on the e60. It sounds like the sensors are not part of the tire or rim, but where are they located? Is the setup different if you have the run flats?

The reason for my questions is I have ordered a 530i w/o the sport package. I plan on using the existing 17? rims for winter use. I would then like to pick up a set of ?take off? wheels from a sport model, either a 530i 0r 545i, for summer use. Will my car?s tire monitoring system be able to recognize if a run flat loses air? BMW literature states ?DRC? is included with the run flats. Is ?DRC? different than the tire monitoring system?

I was also hoping someone can clarify why the different tire size (height) on the 545i sport model. I believe it shows the front at ?40? and the rears at ?35?. The winter tire recommendation, however, is 225/50/17 with the same profile front & rear. Can someone explain the why the summer tire can accommodate a difference profile front & rear, while the winter profile is the same?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

I was also hoping someone can clarify why the different tire size (height) on the 545i sport model. I believe it shows the front at ?40? and the rears at ?35?. The winter tire recommendation, however, is 225/50/17 with the same profile front & rear. Can someone explain the why the summer tire can accommodate a difference profile front & rear, while the winter profile is the same?

[snapback]63412[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thw winter recommendations are for winter/snow driving performance. You could put differnt width and/or profile winter wheel/tires on, but that would defeat, at least in part, the benefits of winter tires.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

FAQ on the first question<---.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

Some follow-up:

Can you explain why the 35 profile in the rear would not impact the speedometer when the other models translate into a 40 profile?

In terms of my first part, the FAQ doesn't answer the question. In the FAQ it alludes to the sensor being on the wheel (but also mentions ABS), and is definetly not clear to me. It also doesn't address the issue if the systems between a nonsport and sport model are the same. Can the sport rims with run flats being safely used on a non-sport model? Any idea what "RDC" stands for and is it necessary to have run flats? It comes with BMW aftermarket wheels with runflats.

Once again, thank you
Old 12-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Some general information to try to help clear up some of the confusion:

The FTM system uses the same sensors that allow ABS and DSC to work so there's no additional hardware added (inside the wheel or otherwise).

The FTM system works regardless of tire size/type. You "teach" the system the proper inflation by initializing it once you've confimed the tire pressures are where you want them, etc. You'd also re-initialize the system if you change your tire sizes or change from winter to summer tires.

To give better traction in snow, winter tires are normally not as wide as the summer (high performance) setup. The narrower footprint (contact patch) allows for more pressure per square inch which makes the car "heavier" per footprint. Obviously, the trade-off here is better traction in slippery conditions but worse handling and performance.

You can install runflat tires on any car and you can install regular tires on any car.

Not sure what "RDC" is right now...
Old 12-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

One more thing, just because a tire is in the 35 series (profile) doesn't mean that the outside circumference is different than a 40 series tire.

Those numbers are simply a percentage of the width. There are many issues regarding tire size -- do a Google on tire size calculator and you'll be able to see the exact measurements of different size tires.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:30 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by macct' date='Dec 2 2004, 09:54 AM
I was also hoping someone can clarify why the different tire size (height) on the 545i sport model.? I believe it shows the front at ?40? and the rears at ?35?.? The winter tire recommendation, however, is 225/50/17 with the same profile front & rear.? Can someone explain the why the summer tire can accommodate a difference profile front & rear, while the winter profile is the same?? ? ?

[snapback]63412[/snapback]
I'm not sure that this one has been touched on, but IMO the different profile for the Sport rears is to enable the added width of the tread for increased traction - 8.5" vs 8.0" rims.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

RDC
Radioelectric system of monitoring of the pressure of the tires of BMW. This system is also indicated, according to the manufacturers, by acronyms RTPMS or SSPP. It permanently controls the pressure of the tires of the vehicle, moving as with the stop. A sensor placed on the wheel monitors the pressure of the tire. It transmits radio-electrically the data rel?v?es to the computer of edge which compares them with the face values filed for the vehicles. If the variations are too significant, the computer of edge into formless the driver by setting off an alarm in the dashboard. The spare wheel is also supervised by the same system.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Dec 2 2004, 12:34 PM
RDC
Radioelectric system of monitoring of the pressure of the tires of BMW. This system is also indicated, according to the manufacturers, by acronyms RTPMS or SSPP. It permanently controls the pressure of the tires of the vehicle, moving as with the stop. A sensor placed on the wheel monitors the pressure of the tire. It transmits radio-electrically the data rel?v?es to the computer of edge which compares them with the face values filed for the vehicles. If the variations are too significant, the computer of edge into formless the driver by setting off an alarm in the dashboard. The spare wheel is also supervised by the same system.
[snapback]63453[/snapback]
Jimbo, thanks. Now that I understand what RDC is, obviously the E60 does not have it.

BTW, what language are you typing in?
Old 12-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Members

Thank you for all the replies. It has been very helpful. I now understand the relationship b/w the profile & width. The tire calculator was also very useful. You can do a comparison b/w the different setups & it will show the variance in dimensions and mph. For example, the base 17" tires compared with the 545i sport setup will show a 0.8mph difference. The difference with the 530i Sport was 0.3mph.

It looks like I can add the run flats w/o any issue. I appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Tire monitoring system ??