E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tint Laws

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I was going to get my car tinted today, I decided to do a little "Googling" about laws and stuff on it. I found this helpful site that I thought may help others in the future who are considering getting tint jobs.

Tint Laws State-to-State
Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Members

important to mention for residents of illinois, especially chicago...

Chicago has home rule authority, this means they are allowed to make separate laws concerning public safety and health. Under the home rule authority, although tints are legal in the state of illinois, they are still illegal for the front passenger and driver windows. Anyone with front tints in the city of chicago can face a fine of $250, to challenge the fine it would mean you would have to go through an administrative hearing and not the conventional court. Most likely you will loose lol. I got lucky and i was prepared to challenge the case based on the Illinois state law but I wouldn't test my luck again.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

But if you are travel from other state what would rules applied as well?
Old 07-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by phlfly
But if you are travel from other state what would rules applied as well?
You are still beholden to the laws of the state you travel in. Driving is considered a privilege, and as such, you are beholden to whatever rules of privilege exist in the jurisdiction traveled. Normally cops may elect to give out of state a 'break', especially on an interstate. But i dont believe they have any obligation to do so.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Not exactly true. In Va which has a lot of stupid laws on the books, such as front plate, almost no window tint and no front window tint, no mods to a car ie suspension, exhaust, lights, and the list goes on. :thumbsdown:

If you are registered and plated from another state you get a pass they won't even look your way
Old 07-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

I have dark (35% rear legal, and little more the 50% front it allows 7% extra) tint in VA, so far no problem, but it had since day one and always in N.VA. It does also depend if you are teen or grow man. I was in officer site (.com or .net), so some VA state cop said he will not pull you over the for tint, but pull u over for speed and then if you are not roll windows down, would give additional ticket for illegal tint. He said it's pretty much all VA state practice, whenever you are from or out the state.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by buddy
If you are registered and plated from another state you get a pass they won't even look your way
^ This
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Members

I ended up getting a 25% tint done all around for my car. When I showed up, the guy was doing a 20% on a black Audi and it looked a little too dark, so I thought if I went with 25%, it wouldn't be so obnoxious that a cop would write me up. Damn, was I wrong ! Parked my my garage, I can barely see inside now. I'm wondering if I should just have the fronts retinted to avoid the possible hassle? I know California has a 70% ltv law. Any guys here living in Southern Cali with front tints? Give me your % and your experiences please. Have you ever gotten written up? How much?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by buddy
Not exactly true. In Va which has a lot of stupid laws on the books, such as front plate, almost no window tint and no front window tint, no mods to a car ie suspension, exhaust, lights, and the list goes on. :thumbsdown:

The key here is it is entirely up to the cops to give you a pass. There is no law on the books granting exemptions to out-of-state folks. That said, the VAST majority of cops follw the unwritten rule of granting discretion to minor violations of those passing through.

Quick Reply: Tint Laws