E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Timer on Advanced Aircon

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto
Thumbs up

On Aircon adavanced I have a screen showing 2 x timers and don't know what they're for. I read my handbook and it seems to intimate that they are something to do with remote cooling/heating of the car. I didn't opt for any auxillary cooler/heater nor do I have a remote control as shown in the book.

Anyone know anything on this?

Thanks Merv
Old 04-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Members

You can set a time for your car to automatically hit a set temperature, which might be nice if you know exactly what time you leave work for instance.

However, don't use it more than once without turning the car on because it's a major battery drain. And don't forget to turn it off when you're done with it, otherwise it will do it everyday and drain your battery - especially if you don't drive for a couple of days straight.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 5 2005, 03:00 PM
On Aircon adavanced I have a screen showing 2 x timers and don't know what they're for. I read my handbook and it seems to intimate that they are something to do with remote cooling/heating of the car. I didn't opt for any auxillary cooler/heater nor do I have a remote control as shown in the book.

Thanks Merv
[snapback]111603[/snapback]
I use them all the time. I set them using voice control before parking the car in the sun. The timer just ventilates the car for 10 or 15 minutes at the set time (24hr clock BTW). No cooling is available since obviously the AC compressor is not running in a parked car. If you want the car to stay warm while parked push the REST button. This actually warms the car while parked. It is advised to use this function sparingly as it uses battery power.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 5 2005, 06:15 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Apr 5 2005, 03:00 PM']On Aircon adavanced I have a screen showing 2 x timers and don't know what they're for. I read my handbook and it seems to intimate that they are something to do with remote cooling/heating of the car. I didn't opt for any auxillary cooler/heater nor do I have a remote control as shown in the book.

Thanks Merv
I use them all the time. I set them using voice control before parking the car in the sun. The timer just ventilates the car for 10 or 15 minutes at the set time (24hr clock BTW). No cooling is available since obviously the AC compressor is not running in a parked car. If you want the car to stay warm while parked push the REST button. This actually warms the car while parked. It is advised to use this function sparingly as it uses battery power.
[snapback]111610[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hormazd,

Thanks for your info.

Are you saying that I could set the timer the night before for say 7.00am during the winter months, then get in the car at say 7.15am and have a warmed up car? And vice versa in the summer with just cool air not air con?

I understand the rest function uses residual heat from the engine after using the car but I can't understand how it would work when the car has been standing overnight. I don't have an auxillary heater.

What am I missing here.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i, Orient Blue, bought used with 22000 miles. Grey lether, sport package, BMW Assist, Cold Weather package. Xenons. NOT premium for some reason, I do like the metal finish vs. the wood, but do miss the garage opener.

I live in a warm climate, where I would use the ventilation (cooling) more than the heating (rest). I wish there was a similar button to the REST button on the AC that does car venting. I use it frequently (although I have to go through Idrive menus and I have to make sure the car is off, but in baterry AUX position, which is a pain) when I'm parked in the sun and running into a shop. It keeps my car a bit cooler in the sun but very inconvenienet to use. I don't use the timers I use the one that start immediately when you press it, whatever that's called.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D SE Touring, Titanium Grey, 122 Wheels, Pro Nav, Pro Phone, Pro Radio, Advanced Air, 6 Disc Autochanger, Dakota Black Leather, Auto, Panoramic Sunroof, De chrome, mats, Bi-xenons, PDC, Service inclusive and Tracker.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Apr 6 2005, 07:08 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 5 2005, 06:15 PM'][quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Apr 5 2005, 03:00 PM']On Aircon adavanced I have a screen showing 2 x timers and don't know what they're for. I read my handbook and it seems to intimate that they are something to do with remote cooling/heating of the car. I didn't opt for any auxillary cooler/heater nor do I have a remote control as shown in the book.

Thanks Merv
[/quote]

Hormazd,

Thanks for your info.

Are you saying that I could set the timer the night before for say 7.00am during the winter months, then get in the car at say 7.15am and have a warmed up car? And vice versa in the summer with just cool air not air con?

I understand the rest function uses residual heat from the engine after using the car but I can't understand how it would work when the car has been standing overnight. I don't have an auxillary heater.

What am I missing here.
[snapback]112028[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mark

No it does not work like that. It will only ventilate the car, not heat it or cool it unless you have that option. I guess when it's hot you can set it to circulate air around the car. It won't cool the air or heat it. The rest function only works after you have driven the car and below say 3C for around 30 minutes. So if your getting out for 30 minutes and then back in it will circulate the warm air from the car. You can not get rest to work unless you have driven the car until it has warmed up and does not work on the timer function. So all the timers do is circulate outside air around the car.
Got it?
I'll give you a call Thursday, just got your message thanks.

Paul
Old 04-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cashvanveen' date='Apr 6 2005, 03:19 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Apr 6 2005, 07:08 PM'][quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 5 2005, 06:15 PM'][quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Apr 5 2005, 03:00 PM']On Aircon adavanced I have a screen showing 2 x timers and don't know what they're for. I read my handbook and it seems to intimate that they are something to do with remote cooling/heating of the car. I didn't opt for any auxillary cooler/heater nor do I have a remote control as shown in the book.

Thanks Merv
[/quote]

Hormazd,

Thanks for your info.

What am I missing here.
[snapback]112028[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mark

No it does not work like that. It will only ventilate the car, not heat it or cool it unless you have that option. I guess when it's hot you can set it to circulate air around the car. It won't cool the air or heat it. The rest function only works after you have driven the car and below say 3C for around 30 minutes. So if your getting out for 30 minutes and then back in it will circulate the warm air from the car. You can not get rest to work unless you have driven the car until it has warmed up and does not work on the timer function. So all the timers do is circulate outside air around the car.
Got it?
I'll give you a call Thursday, just got your message thanks.

Paul
[snapback]112079[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks for the info Paul - speak Thurs
Old 04-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

The REST will not HEAT a car that has not been running. The REST will only use residual heat from a warm engine. After the engine has cooled down there will be no use to this button. The Cooling or Air Circulation feature activates the fan to ventilate warm air from the car and cool it off. It does not use the AC since the car needs to be running for this.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Scott' date='Apr 6 2005, 01:07 AM
And don't forget to turn it off when you're done with it, otherwise it will do it everyday and drain your battery
[snapback]111605[/snapback]
This is not true. It will only work once. If you want it to come on again you have to go in and set it again.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Scott' date='Apr 5 2005, 11:07 PM
However, don't use it more than once without turning the car on because it's a major battery drain.? And don't forget to turn it off when you're done with it, otherwise it will do it everyday and drain your battery - especially if you don't drive for a couple of days straight.
[snapback]111605[/snapback]
And this isn't true either

The system senses the battery's state and if there is not enough charge, it will not activate the ventilation.

Quick Reply: Timer on Advanced Aircon