E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Time Trial Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='365648' date='Dec 10 2006, 10:15 AM
Let me answer both your's and Serg's questions as best I can recall. The tires were stock Bridgestone Potenza's inflated as recommended - 30/35 with around 7K miles on them. The temp when I drove in at 9:30 was 47F and it may have gone up 8-10 degrees as the day went on. It was a clear, dry day, maybe some high clouds so I would guess the pressure was around 29.95, wind was negligible, GPS altitude was around 125 MSL. I was running Shell Premium 93 octane and I totally pigged out on Bubba's Buffalo Wings and Cheese Fries between the third and fourth race. I agree that the 60' times need a lot of improvement and am interested in any suggestions there. I did try brake torqueing a little but never over 1000 rpm. Next time I run I'll take advantage of the scale and get my takeoff weight.
Try to get to higher RPMS when brake torqueing. Basically you need to find the point where traction brakes and then backup a little. You may want to lose some air in the rear (28 psi) and increase front tires pressure to something like 40-45. I am sure you will get better results in the spring. Fresh track will have much better traction. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='365648' date='Dec 10 2006, 08:15 AM
Let me answer both your's and Serg's questions as best I can recall. The tires were stock Bridgestone Potenza's inflated as recommended - 30/35 with around 7K miles on them. The temp when I drove in at 9:30 was 47F and it may have gone up 8-10 degrees as the day went on. It was a clear, dry day, maybe some high clouds so I would guess the pressure was around 29.95, wind was negligible, GPS altitude was around 125 MSL. I was running Shell Premium 93 octane and I totally pigged out on Bubba's Buffalo Wings and Cheese Fries between the third and fourth race. I agree that the 60' times need a lot of improvement and am interested in any suggestions there. I did try brake torqueing a little but never over 1000 rpm. Next time I run I'll take advantage of the scale and get my takeoff weight.
Given your data, I am confident that you would have a small favorable conditions penalty and I know that you would have a small favorable altitude penalty--implying that your times, on the standardized basis of weather and altitude adjustment to 500' used by grogan545 and I, would be somewhat worse than reported. I don't brake torque beyond 1K with street pressures, but on the strip, with reduced rear psi's, I think I could brake torque at higher RPM (maybe). Wheel spin kills performance on 545i/550i 5ers. You want to brake torque to the point where you get maximum jump with no wheel spin. You probably said above, but, if you didn't, you also want both DSC and DTC off. Your rear tires were way overinflated, assuming 30 is in he rears (20 psi would be OK), for optimum straight-line performance. Good luck on your next trip.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='365645' date='Dec 10 2006, 07:47 AM
I agree with Sergy on the run flats the extra unsprung weight of the run flats will definitely affect your times.However I do not agree that launching a step is that easy.I have quite a bit of drag strip experience and I bettered my times from a 13.899 to a 13.644 by fine tuning my starting method.I made 4 runs,each one was better than the last.I found that going though the water and spinning my tires clean worked best for me.I think if I made about 10 runs I could have improved my time to about 13.50.It takes some experimenting with the track surface on stock tires to get best results.With drag slicks it would take only a couple of runs to get best results because the traction is magnitudes better.You definitely should have the DTC/DTS off for best times.
And, grogan's tires have about a million miles on them.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:31 AM
Members

I was at MIR that weekend as well (but brought my bone stock 2006 Z06 and managed an 11.46).

Anyway, a couple of suggestions that might help:

1. Staging - It is very critical that you stage as shallow as possible. The roll-out distance is about 12 inches and it will take about 0.4 seconds to cover this. That means that every inch of rollout is worth about .03 of a second. Most people don't understand how even a few inches of roll-out can add several tenths to their E.T.

From looking at your 60' times, I suspect you didn't stage as shallow as you could.

2. Keep the engine as cool as possible -- The ECU on these cars pulls timing as the air intake path heats up. So, you want to do everything you can to keep the engine cool while waiting for your run. That means cycling the ignition on and off as you move through the staging lanes to minimize the amount of time spent with the engine on. Always want to cool the motor between rounds.

3. Stay in the groove - Find the dull part of the track and line your car up directly with this. MIR uses VHT traction compound and you want to avoid the shiny areas.

MIR is closed for now - but might want to give this a try next season.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Thanks to everyone for the analysis and advice - will try it all again in the spring at MIR and I WILL see 13's!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

sound alot of fun wish I can do some thing like that in HK.
keep posting I am lerning alot form this post
Old 12-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

Don't be disappointed, the 1/4 mile is truly all about perfecting the technique. You have to run it over and over and try all the different tricks and tips suggested on the forum. You'll get to where you want to be.

Don't let the reaction time be an issue, if I'm not mistaken, that doesn't factor in at all to your times.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Originally Posted by octee' post='366212' date='Dec 11 2006, 05:16 PM
Don't be disappointed, the 1/4 mile is truly all about perfecting the technique. You have to run it over and over and try all the different tricks and tips suggested on the forum. You'll get to where you want to be.

Don't let the reaction time be an issue, if I'm not mistaken, that doesn't factor in at all to your times.
Hey octee! Either with your 545 or grabigol' pickup truck we could have a good race! How'd you pack all those horses in the truck?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dgdoc' post='365668' date='Dec 10 2006, 10:31 AM
I was at MIR that weekend as well (but brought my bone stock 2006 Z06 and managed an 11.46).

Anyway, a couple of suggestions that might help:

1. Staging - It is very critical that you stage as shallow as possible. The roll-out distance is about 12 inches and it will take about 0.4 seconds to cover this. That means that every inch of rollout is worth about .03 of a second. Most people don't understand how even a few inches of roll-out can add several tenths to their E.T.

From looking at your 60' times, I suspect you didn't stage as shallow as you could.

2. Keep the engine as cool as possible -- The ECU on these cars pulls timing as the air intake path heats up. So, you want to do everything you can to keep the engine cool while waiting for your run. That means cycling the ignition on and off as you move through the staging lanes to minimize the amount of time spent with the engine on. Always want to cool the motor between rounds.

3. Stay in the groove - Find the dull part of the track and line your car up directly with this. MIR uses VHT traction compound and you want to avoid the shiny areas.

MIR is closed for now - but might want to give this a try next season.

Hope this helps.
Agree with your advice, dgdoc, except #1 Staging. A deep stage is equivalent to adding a foot or so of distance to the 1/4 mile. At about 100mph, that extra foot will take less than .007 seconds.

Probably best to focus on your other advice, and getting a real clean take-off. Or pick a nice cool/dry day!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by octee' post='366212' date='Dec 12 2006, 06:16 AM
Don't let the reaction time be an issue.
yes let your mind go and don`t think about the time and you will do better.
If you have the time in your head you will not have 100% on your driving
Its like any sport mind over matter, don`t think, just do it and it will get better and better

Quick Reply: Time Trial Results