E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Time Trial Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Well, I took my 07 550i to Budds Creek for the Time and Tune event and was able to get 4 runs in during the day. I got a lot of good advice from the board members here and tried them all but was unable to break into the 13's and was quite disappointed with the results. Best time - 14.034. Best speed - 105. Being a novice at this I'm sure that my driver technique played significantly into the results but I was expecting better performance out of the car and think that it also had some effect on the times as well. I think I know where I need to brush up, not sure if I'm getting the best out of the car.

I have to say that if you have never been to an official race track to time your ride it can be a lot of fun and highly recommend it - great people, fantastic cars, good, competitive yet friendly atmosphere on the track and no shortage of advice from your competitors while in the line up. There were only two "classes" in the Time and Tune - above and below 11 second ETs. I felt a little "different" in my shiny, new BMW lining up with a fire-belching, not-street-legal almost-a-funny-car but paid no attention to that. The tree and the tach and the track were my sole focus. I learned to anticipate the green a little and didn't red light once but still need to work on that a bit since my reaction times were kinda geriatric. Really has nothing to do with age - it's a practiced, finely-honed technique and doing it right make a big difference on the other end of the track.

The car was pretty much the way I drive it - spare in the trunk, burned down to 3/8s tank of gas for the runs (long way between gas stations at Budds). Here's what I played with - DS on and off. DTC on and off. I avoided the water but the guys who use it still drag it up to the staging area so it was always a bit wet. Since, on the track, I was a bit wrapped up in running the race I didn't notice a whole lot of difference among the setups. I think my technique, or lack of it probably had more to do with the results than anything. But I do want to mention this - Since I had the DME reprogrammed last month to fix a rough start problem the car seems a bit slower and can't help but wonder if that reprogramming "detuned" it a bit.

So - the mid-thirteens escaped me that Sunday but I'm sure that between me and the car it's there somewhere. Next trial is high end on a proper road course and I'll let you know about that when I'm ready. Thanks to everyone who offered their advice and, again, try the drag strip even if only once - we had a great time!
Old 12-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='365358' date='Dec 9 2006, 11:31 AM
Well, I took my 07 550i to Budds Creek for the Time and Tune event and was able to get 4 runs in during the day. I got a lot of good advice from the board members here and tried them all but was unable to break into the 13's and was quite disappointed with the results. Best time - 14.034. Best speed - 105. Being a novice at this I'm sure that my driver technique played significantly into the results but I was expecting better performance out of the car and think that it also had some effect on the times as well. I think I know where I need to brush up, not sure if I'm getting the best out of the car.

I have to say that if you have never been to an official race track to time your ride it can be a lot of fun and highly recommend it - great people, fantastic cars, good, competitive yet friendly atmosphere on the track and no shortage of advice from your competitors while in the line up. There were only two "classes" in the Time and Tune - above and below 11 second ETs. I felt a little "different" in my shiny, new BMW lining up with a fire-belching, not-street-legal almost-a-funny-car but paid no attention to that. The tree and the tach and the track were my sole focus. I learned to anticipate the green a little and didn't red light once but still need to work on that a bit since my reaction times were kinda geriatric. Really has nothing to do with age - it's a practiced, finely-honed technique and doing it right make a big difference on the other end of the track.

The car was pretty much the way I drive it - spare in the trunk, burned down to 3/8s tank of gas for the runs (long way between gas stations at Budds). Here's what I played with - DS on and off. DTC on and off. I avoided the water but the guys who use it still drag it up to the staging area so it was always a bit wet. Since, on the track, I was a bit wrapped up in running the race I didn't notice a whole lot of difference among the setups. I think my technique, or lack of it probably had more to do with the results than anything. But I do want to mention this - Since I had the DME reprogrammed last month to fix a rough start problem the car seems a bit slower and can't help but wonder if that reprogramming "detuned" it a bit.

So - the mid-thirteens escaped me that Sunday but I'm sure that between me and the car it's there somewhere. Next trial is high end on a proper road course and I'll let you know about that when I'm ready. Thanks to everyone who offered their advice and, again, try the drag strip even if only once - we had a great time!
It is pretty strange you did not notice any much difference between DSC on and off. Seems like traction was you problem. Could you post your 60' time? Also did you try to lower rear tires pressure?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Titanium Silver/Black, 6-Sp Steptronic, Sport Package, HD Radio, Sirius, Premium Sound, GPS Nav, Cold Pkg, cell phone cradle, iPod through the AUX port 1976 Datsun 280Z, Charcoal/Black, 5-Sp Manual, A/C, American Mags, CD, Tom Tom 930 GPS (works better than the BMW!) and the rest is pretty much stock

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='365419' date='Dec 9 2006, 02:17 PM
It is pretty strange you did not notice any much difference between DSC on and off. Seems like traction was you problem. Could you post your 60' time? Also did you try to lower rear tires pressure?
All four time sheets are attached as a .pdf file. Looks like I misread my best speed - it's a shade ove 100. No, I didn't lower my tire pressures in back and don't recall having much wheel spin, just a few squeeks off the line.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
29_Nov_Time_Sheets.pdf (173.6 KB, 114 views)
Old 12-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

The times you posted aren't that different than what was recorded on my G-Meter by brian1225 in his 550. There is definitely an art to knowing how to launch properly with a Step.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='365467' date='Dec 9 2006, 04:32 PM
The times you posted aren't that different than what was recorded on my G-Meter by brian1225 in his 550. There is definitely an art to knowing how to launch properly with a Step.
Yep - launching is definitely an art. But I was expecting mid-13's as I've seen posted here for both the 550 and 545 in the quarter and I thought I would do a little better despite my inexperience. I need to go back in the spring and run her again. Nobody next to me at the stoplights on the way to work will be safe until then...practice, practice, practice......
Old 12-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='365473' date='Dec 9 2006, 04:53 PM
Yep - launching is definitely an art. But I was expecting mid-13's as I've seen posted here for both the 550 and 545 in the quarter and I thought I would do a little better despite my inexperience. I need to go back in the spring and run her again. Nobody next to me at the stoplights on the way to work will be safe until then...practice, practice, practice......
Your 60' time is pretty bad. Get it down to 2.0-2.05 and you should get your mid-13th. Please also note that your reaction time does not count so do not pay much attention to stop/go lights unless beating the other car is your goal. I would not call launching auto an art though. All you need to do is get rid of all traction control guards and squeeze the throttle. BTW what tires your car has? With Dunlops you should be very happy you broke 100mph.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by geokr1' post='365358' date='Dec 9 2006, 09:31 AM
Well, I took my 07 550i to Budds Creek for the Time and Tune event
Do you happen to know your altitude, the temp F, the dew point F, and your altimeter setting (i.e., bars of mercury in Hg)? If so, then I can fine tune your results for you. Without allowing for these factors, you really have no idea how good or how bad your passes were--unless someone else with a car like yours was, for example, doing mid 13's.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

I agree with Sergy on the run flats the extra unsprung weight of the run flats will definitely affect your times.However I do not agree that launching a step is that easy.I have quite a bit of drag strip experience and I bettered my times from a 13.899 to a 13.644 by fine tuning my starting method.I made 4 runs,each one was better than the last.I found that going though the water and spinning my tires clean worked best for me.I think if I made about 10 runs I could have improved my time to about 13.50.It takes some experimenting with the track surface on stock tires to get best results.With drag slicks it would take only a couple of runs to get best results because the traction is magnitudes better.You definitely should have the DTC/DTS off for best times.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Did you take a look at your reaction times (where it says R/T) there? That looks to be the reason you were out of the 13's.

Old 12-10-2006, 06:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='365519' date='Dec 9 2006, 09:48 PM
Do you happen to know your altitude, the temp F, the dew point F, and your altimeter setting (i.e., bars of mercury in Hg)? If so, then I can fine tune your results for you. Without allowing for these factors, you really have no idea how good or how bad your passes were--unless someone else with a car like yours was, for example, doing mid 13's.
Let me answer both your's and Serg's questions as best I can recall. The tires were stock Bridgestone Potenza's inflated as recommended - 30/35 with around 7K miles on them. The temp when I drove in at 9:30 was 47F and it may have gone up 8-10 degrees as the day went on. It was a clear, dry day, maybe some high clouds so I would guess the pressure was around 29.95, wind was negligible, GPS altitude was around 125 MSL. I was running Shell Premium 93 octane and I totally pigged out on Bubba's Buffalo Wings and Cheese Fries between the third and fourth race. I agree that the 60' times need a lot of improvement and am interested in any suggestions there. I did try brake torqueing a little but never over 1000 rpm. Next time I run I'll take advantage of the scale and get my takeoff weight.

Quick Reply: Time Trial Results