E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Time to say good bye - what to get?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

Sorry to say that,, but for me, the boxter is a nice car for a woman, not for a man ! Like Pjinca said, you should look for an older 911 or maybe a 2011-2012 M3 will do the job for you since you eant some tehcnologie etc !

The new generation of bmw, f10,f30 all look the same, they have no difference between the 3 the 5 and the 7 series so I do love bmw but they honestly made a FAIL in their new design, yes they looks good, but they don't look special as the previous version(e90,e60,e70,etc)

Anyway, after writing all this I'm thinking maybe you should wait the new 4 series Gran coupe !!!! It's like the 6 series but less expensives and a bit smaller and more efficiente !

Good luck in your choice !
Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

John, I am considering the Boxster S heavily, yes. 911 is out of my league, plus Boxster has the better physics, which means better dynamics (read: more fun to drive, higher limit of adhesion to the tarmac). Anyone saying a Boxster is a car for a woman is robbing themselves - Boxster/Cayman platform is infinitely superior to the 911, which itself has been regarded for many decades the best driver's car. Sure, it's underpowered - the Boxster, I mean - and can even look a little wimpy. But that means next to nothing to me - I'm not going for the looks, and I'm not looking to rip Vettes and Stangs at stop light races. What I want is a worthy replacement to my awesome E60 - which was my true travel companion from Maine to Key West. Where the Boxster really falls short against the F30 is all wheel drive. I have to essentially weigh the Boxster's lower center of gravity and open-top fun against a 335 x-drive's year-round usability, back seats and bigger trunk. I would love to wait till the 4 series Gran Coupe comes out, but I need a car now - my E60 just has to go, I'm firm on that point. I'm sure it will last another 100-150k miles, but I need something that won't require so much money to maintain. And all of this really just certifies the opinion that the F30 335i xDrive is the way to go. I cannot say enough to express how valuable the free scheduled maintenance and overall dealer experience of BMW means to me. Porsche wouldn't measure up. Maybe, when I'm in a better place financially, I'll revisit the Boxster S idea, and have that as a second/third car. At this point though, it's looking more and more, like I'll be shooting for the 3er. BTW of all the F-series cars, I like it the most. The only gripes would be the EPS and the higher center of gravity of the Bimmer. But if anyone can minimize the effects of these deterrents, it's BMW. So looks like I'm staying faithful, unless I hit the jackpot in the next two weeks
Old 03-09-2013, 01:35 PM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

S4 is quite nice, and S5 looks much better in person than in photos. The situation with bimmers' lack of spare is annoying.

What problems did you have with your E60?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

What about Porsche Cayman? or if you could hold off for the C7 vette stingray??

nm i see what you just wrote

Last edited by 545IblupasdU; 03-09-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

F30 imo, your mind seems made up....I love the new F30 looks like a baby F10 with a twist of an E60 GL !
Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

I'm with you on this... my choices are all over the map too. I don't blame you for your thoughts on the F10, I completely agree. Hopefully the LCI will tweak it into more of a driver's car.

My recommendation would be the X5 or the S4. I could go into detail about my reasons but we all have our own, so I'll just leave it with my recommendation. Keep us updated!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Members

I suggest the last model year 535i e60 (2010 in the US) with the sports package. It has the same Navigation/idrive,as the f10 and is quite possibly the best all around sports sedan ever made. I don't think I would take any 2013 car in that price range over a 2010 535 sport.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Very simple VLaddy, sell the E60, get the Boxster S. Then move to SoCal and you no longer have to worry about weather anymore, as an added bonus we have member Healthservices here - he has owned a few Boxsters so he can even service it for you for MUCH less than an indy shop.

Problem solved.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

TMQ, my issues with E60 are all maintenance related. Mostly, I'm just ready to move on to something more modern and, dare I say, more mature.

545IblupasdU, I would choose Boxster over Cayman for price and the added fun of open top. Boxster is plenty stiff enough for me anyhow C7 looks great, but it's not time for that yet I think I'm between the XF, the F30 M Sport and the A7 now.

Isaiah, excellent point

acorradi87, the LCI pics are already leaking out come summertime, you'll be able to get one, I hear

kgmccarthy, the navi is radically different in the new series! That said, the '10 535 is a great car, but I want that new car smell - I hear it comes with warranty and free scheduled service

John, where am I going to put all my baggage in the Boxster when I'm driving to Cali?

Just a little update: I test drove the 2013 Jaguar XF 3.0 AWD today. Liked it very much, even loved it. Few things were disappointing, but surprisingly enough, none had to do with the driving experience. The Jag dealers sure are stuck in the 1980s though, and really don't know how to cater to a car guy. It seems that Jag dealer I was at caters to the geriatrics, which may explain the lack of traffic on the showroom floor. Strong contender though. More of a grown up car, but it looses out to each and every car I've driven so far in the infotainment department. Which is a real bummer - this really could be one of the best cars on the market. And how come is it that there is no data on weight distribution for the XF anywhere? And the jaguar forums? Pah-lease get some real car guys in there!

Also test drove the 335 xDrive sport the other day... first the bad: truly disappointed with the materials in the non M sport F30, mostly those catering to the backseat occupants. Back seat is positively cheap-feeling and lacking any lateral support at all. Front seats have little hope as well - and that's on the sport line F30. Hope the M Sport pack rectifies that, have plans for a test of an M Sport soon, will keep you guys updated. Now the good Dynamically the car is kick-ass! This one did not have the adaptive M suspension, but I would definitely shoot for that option. The engine, the gearbox, steering - all work excellent. Superior machine with fewest compromises than any other. Few downsides: mandatory RFTs, backseat and... errr, can't think of any others
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

maybe you should hold out til 2014 to see what the 4GC will look like..

Visualize the BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe and Convertible - Road & Track

Quick Reply: Time to say good bye - what to get?!