E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a reniassance (long philosophical rant)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I read the "Things I won't miss about my E60" post and at first I though it impossible to compare driving a Honda Civic to a BMW, but then I reconsidered. My conclusion is that BMW automotive products are heading in the wrong direction.

When I think of cars that distinguish BMW I think of the prewar 328, the wildly popular 2002 and the whole line of M3s. And I am sad to say that having driven about 90% of the line of current BMWs that IMHO only the 3 series, Z cars and M cars still have that special "it" that makes a BMW unique. I know this is inflammatory. It's not to say that the rest of the cars aren't great cars, its just that they don't seem like good embassadors for the BMW legacy. In particular the 5 series, 7 series and new X5. Each have grown larger and heavier thus requiring bigger engines. The 2002 was pint sized fun, the 4 cyl M3 had more character than power. My 550i sport is somewhat boring to drive by BMW standards until you mash the throttle (a critcism usually reserved for Mercedes). So I can see how the aforementioned poster came to the conclusion that a Honda Civic isn't a huge let down from a 5 series on a daily commute.

On the subject of why he loves Porsches, Jerry Sienfeld once said "they are as entertaining to drive at 30 mph as they are at 130 mph". I felt the exact same way about my last BMW that had M tuned suspension. That car's reflexes, turn-in, throttle response, and road feel were all 100% there even when driving through town at 25 mph. The 550 by comparison feels anesthetized when cruising. I have gotten two speeding tickets in town in the last month because I don't get that joy of driving until I'm really on the gas. So why is BMW abandoning its roots of making spry, compact, light, sporty cars that are faster than their power outputs dictate?

Maybe BMW's master plan is to someday build a better Mercedes? I hope not. BMW has a brand built on a genuine, hard earned, race proved dedication to true performance in an enthusiast sense. The kind that is designed into the car, not bolt-on performance like Mercedes AMG or Chrysler/Jeep SRT, or virtual performance added by computer like all current BMWs with active anti-roll and soft shocks and springs. What if Louis Vuitton introduced a new synthetic leather that was actually fancy vinyl and told everyone it was more durable than their usual leather and charged the same for it? That's what BMW is doing. They're telling its loyal followers that its okay that the 2009 7 series is going to be even longer and wider than the current model...because, because they are going to turbocharge it to 700 hp and REALLY throw the braking/handling/acceleration balance out of whack! I am waiting for the smaller, lighter, leaner 7 series and X5 etc..... Am I the only one? I'd bet if a few years back BMW had installed an active roll bar on the E90 and softened its suspension, sales of the Japanese competitors would have overtaken the 3 series by now (notice the M cars have avoided this feature). Active anti-roll when used with softer shocks and springs is like an illegal steroid that allows the cars to get bigger and heavier and corner flat but still keep a ride nice. But just like steriods, the benefits are, in reality, artifical.

BTW, IMHO the E60s without the Active Roll Stabilization are more involving to drive even if they can't go around a corner as fast.

Does anyone else agree that BMW is moving in the wrong direction?

Regards,
DRP
Old 04-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

DRP, I think I agree with much of whatyou say. My prior 545 non sport could corner just as well as my sport 550, was essentially just as quick and ultimately handled just as well. The narrower all-season rubber on non sports certainly contributes to the misperception that non sports don't handle well (and at the end of the day, BMW doesn't make any cars that handle badly) and that was corrected by adding a set of 124's with non RFT performance tires. My 550 Sport, by comparison, is at best a marginal improvement, and in fairness I suspect that whatever we have in the driveway, most of us simply don't have the talent to push any of our cars to their actual limits. It is, therefore, about how the car feels at all speeds and under all driving conditions - and I have a 997 Carrera S too, and Seinfeld is spot on.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

Not sure I agree but if it is indeed time for a renaissance that would include spelling ,,renaissance`` properly as Voltaire and the other thinkers of the renaissance period would roll over in their graves. While we?re on spelling, it?s Seinfeld, not Sienfeld.

But back to the topic, BMW knows how to drive cars that drive like BMWs. I am driving an Audi A8 Quattro L this week and while it?s a great car, I miss driving the BMW. I don?t think they are going to stray from this core value.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

The only thing BMW is doing is giving its customers what they want. Sure, in a perfect world BMW would not show any interest in pursuing increased sales and would instead stay focused on catering to a relatively small subset of drivers.

In the grand scheme of things, I think Porsche is really no different than BMW. They own 30+% of VW and essentially build a whole line of cars, from the true Porsche to the VW and Audis, making the Porsche a small subset of what that car company makes. It builds the Cayenne, which is essentially the Tourage which uses the same chassis. The Audis encompass many technologies similar to the larger BMW (5, 7 and X5). In looking at them this way, sure both have a subset of products that cater to real driving enthusiasts, but they also both offer lines that cater more to the luxury car buyer in today's world. So it?s fine to compare the Porsches to the 3's or the Z' or M's, but Porsche in effect builds cars that compete directly with the X5, the 5 and 7 series.

As for the Dynamic drive and Active steering technologies, I don't care for them either. Does that make them bad? Of course not, many here have the product and love it. Again, giving the customer what they want.

Is BMW moving in the wrong direction? I don't think so, as long as they continue to build the 3 series, the Z and M lines. Because they have expanded their offering to give customers what they want doesn't mean they aren't capable of build great driving cars. It just so happens that the customer base for luxury cars has expanded greatly while the market for real enthusiasts driving machines has stayed relatively small.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Unfortunately, I'm in agreement with most of what you have to say. I'll add only two mitigating factors:

First, we're talking big business here (I'm a raving capitalist, so there is no negative conotation to that comment). BMW has moved more mainstream and more away from a niche (read: pure driving enthusiasts) market. As a driving enthusiast, I'm disappointed in that. If I was a shareholder (read: owner) of BMW, I'd applaud it. It's like the "purists" who got mad at Porsche when then developed an SUV. It helped to double their sales and make them one of the most profitable car companies in the world. Is that bad?

Second, while BMW is not the enthusiasts' car that it once was, their cars still provide a better driving experience than any other sports sedan marketed in the world today. And for me, that means there's no other car to buy. It's that simple.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:27 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='416081' date='Apr 20 2007, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, I'm in agreement with most of what you have to say. I'll add only two mitigating factors:

First, we're talking big business here (I'm a raving capitalist, so there in no negative conotation to that comment). BMW has moved more mainstream and more away from a niche (read: pure driving enthusiasts) market. As a driving enthusiast, I'm disappointed in that. If I was a shareholder (read: owner) of BMW, I'd applaud it. It's like the "purists" who got mad at Porsche when then developed an SUV. It helped to double their sales and make them one of the most profitable car companies in the world. Is that bad?

Second, while BMW is not the enthusiasts' car that it once was, their cars still provide a better driving experience than any other sports sedan marketed in the world today. And for me, that means there's no other car to buy. It's that simple.

+1

The only way you will get the perfect car is to have two (or more) of them. It is extremely difficult to find a car that is everything to everybody (even the M series won't meet that criteria). The 5 series is built for the masses who needs a comfy 4 door saloon that will drive and handle better than most other comparables out there.

As consumers, we can cast the ultimate vote on a company's product. We can buy from a competitor. plus, it's ok to demonstrate disappointment. Sometimes the message gets through, i.e. the manual E60 M5.

best of luck

al
Old 04-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

It's no longer possible to make ends meet making cars that appeal to the 1% of driving enthusiasts. Broad market appeal requires the compromises made the the current lineup. I'm OK with that. The X5 and all BMW SUVs give me the creeps, they are a sell-out, and a bad one at that.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' post='416179' date='Apr 20 2007, 06:16 PM
It's no longer possible to make ends meet making cars that appeal to the 1% of driving enthusiasts. Broad market appeal requires the compromises made the the current lineup. I'm OK with that. The X5 and all BMW SUVs give me the creeps, they are a sell-out, and a bad one at that.
As the owner of an X5 (and another on order!), I will have to disagree with the term "sellout". If building a product the consumer wants is a "sellout" so be it. Just as a 5 series or a 7 series handles that much better than other luxury sedans, the X5 handles that much better than any other SUV offering out there. It actually drives like a car, granted a BIG car but it is so much better than the competition. As with any other SUV sold to the mass market, it is a glorified station wagon. Is the E61 a "sellout" because there are consumers who want it. Is that really a driving enthusiast's car? (Here it comes from the E61 owners! ) Heck, the 5 and 7 series are "sellouts" to the luxury car market rather than keeeping true to the ideal car of a true driving enthusiast.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:28 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

I thought ARS, Active Steering, and other things were optional, no?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by EM_5' post='416281' date='Apr 21 2007, 04:28 AM
I thought ARS, Active Steering, and other things were optional, no?
Depends where you are. In the US, and up to 06, they were part of the sport package. ARS is still a component of the US sport package, but AS is now a separate option.

Quick Reply: Time for a reniassance (long philosophical rant)