E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time for a new battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT
Default time for a new battery

greetings everyone.
its time for a new battery for the e60. i am capable of swapping the batteries, i just have an issue with a few things.
-Registering the new battery to the car..
-possibly losing the sunroof function

replaced the battery in my e39 and the sunroof has been mia ever since. i know you can re time them but it never worked. id really like to not go through this again and just be able to swap the battery...
Few questions..
1) If i hook a jumper pack up to the car will this keep the car powered, thus keeping it from losing its settings and sunroof function / timing?

2) Ive also heard someone tell me you can buy an attachment that plugs in the the obd port on one end and to a jumper pack at the other end to keep the car powered to prevent it from losing settings etc.. true or false?

3) from what im understand you can get away without registering the battery to the car if its the same type of battery?
need some help, id like to go buy a battery tomorrow and be done with this jump starting my car bologna.

thanks!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Bill, I don't think you have to worry about the sunroof going kafooey. I think that was just a fluke with the E39.

I just changed out my battery. Bought the same type (FLA) from Advance Auto (the old one was OEM), but it had higher CCA (cold cranking amps) but the same Ah (amp hours), which is critical. An indie did it for me and registered it for $40. The only thing I had to set was the date and time and to turn the steering wheel full left and full right after he was done. Not necessary to keep the car powered. The whole deal came in under $180.

Last edited by JayArras; 11-05-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

I have swapped my battery and got the one from walmart with the lifetime warranty. This has been talked about so many times on different websites. I never registered mine and its been years since the swap. Just research the battery you select. I think walmart and some of the other auto parts places dont have the correct battery that comes up in their system. Know which one is best before you walk in.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If you are nervous as I was about it, do like I did. AZ had the EXACT battery for my car. Their system said something else though. I told the guy what I wanted as in Ah and CCA, he went in the back and returned with the exact one. I imagine the batteries vary a little between cars and it's not that another won't work but I was not sure if I would register and program it. I was told that if you get the exact one you won't have to, but I cannot confirm this. I ended up registering it anyway.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

IMHO, just change the battery and don't worry about the settings being lost. For the sunroof, if the anti-trap feature causes the auto-close/open to not function, then it simply requires you to hold the sunroof button in the closed position (with sunroof closed) for an extended period of time. Doing this tells the module the position of the sunroof and then it will work as normal. Same goes for the auto up/down on the windows should they get confused.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

i tried to find the exact battery but i failed. i ended up with a little different battery. he thought the battery was a little than the one in my car now but had mentioned to keep the car powered up via a jumper pack on the terminals under the hood...
this made sense to me..so i thought itd give it a shot.
going to go do an install now and see what happens.

after the install if the sunroof still works, should it be re timed or should i not worry about it? ill make sure its closed to begin with.