E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Time to get some opinions and advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Okay, it's getting to be that time for me -- time to place my order! (Wow, has it really been three years? It seems like only yesterday when I was over there on RF anticipating the arrival of my new baby and reading all the crazy posts from the haters...)

Oh well, here's what I'm going to do...

2008 Alpine White 550i with sport package and sport automatic transmission (he says as he wipes a tear from his SMG-less eye...)

I'm going for every option available (yes, even the lane change departure warning system -- what the hell, it may just save my life since I often push the limits a little on some of my road trips...)

Now please understand that I've been driving a white BMW since 1989 and I just love the color. Aside from it being sort of my trademark nowadays, I really enjoy the low-maintenance of the color and am not equipped (and am too busy) to keep a darker (or deeper) color car up to any type of high standard so I'm pretty against going with something else -- except that I'm very intrigued by the Carbon Black offering. I still think I should go with the white and I'm sure I'll hear many of you tell my to go with the black but my gut says to play it safe. I don't know, maybe if I end up seeing one in person, I'll be better equipped to make a good decision.

Aside from the exterior color, my biggest decision right now has to do with the anthracite headliner. I've never seen one so I don't really know what to expect. I've seen a few pics posted here but there's nothing that really shows it off other than the fact that it is dark from the pillars on up. Certainly, if I end up with a black car, then the choice will be simple. Assuming I'm going with an Alpine White car, I'm not sure that I want to add another color to the interior.

On my past three white 5-series cars, I've gone with gray leather and again, I like the look. To me, the gray blends better with the black dashboard and just looks smoother. (I don't want an all black interior.) My E30 M3 had "Natur" (beige) leather and it was fine too but for some reason, I've been going with the gray interiors lately. On the upcoming car, I may end up with beige since I think that's the only logical color for me if I want to get the ventilated seat option.

Okay, so I guess after rambling on so much, my question is, if I go with the white exterior and the beige interior, will the anthracite headliner be too much? Also, I suppose I need to get some ideas about what wood to go with.

What do you folks think?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend not going with the anthracite headliner, and going with dark poplar trim. IMO the light headliner would look much more intergrated, and the dark poplar would look rich against the beige leather.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

White gets my vote.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:34 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Beige and anthracite HL looks very good IMO. If you will go for the new Nature brown leather you'll get all plastics black. For the beige the lower dash parts are beige. Either way it will be very good looking car. Stick to white! I was tempted to do that too, but didn't dare... Good luck with your order!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Go white with a dark interior and tint, love the look!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Although I opted for Platin Grey, my interior is more or less the same as what you are going for. Same here, I cannot stand and all black interior it just get's so dull and depressing. As ABC said in an another thread, anthracite is just a name not a colour, and as I see it, it's very very black. Maybe it's because I'm in Scandinavia and we do appreciate some artifical light parts of the year! Also, I like natural brown leather as a colour, it make the leather look distinguished in a odd sort fo way. Also, it make the interior look more classy, IMO.

I'm starting to like the Alpine white - I think it's smashing on the new E87 1-series, especially the three-door version, and the E60 Alpine white is growing on me. But it's still a very rare colour up here in the cold north; almost all M-sport E60's/E61's are either Titan Silver. Silver Grey or Carbon Black.

I had Carbon Black on the top of my list but decided against, partly because it is quite common and coming from Alfa Romeo, where my car always would stand out on the car park outside a shopping mall, I needed something else. Partly because a carbon black car with tinted rear windows is a bit Gangsta', and not me at all... aaand partly because after having two Silver Grey in a row my wife told me to at least try something different... So anthracite will b my new colour, called Platin Grey in BMW language. And, black is always nice when it's clean. And that, as we know, is a very short moment.

Stick with Alpine white if you still like the colour!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:26 AM
Contributors

I don't think you should pick a color because of what your head tells you--I think you should go with your gut (that's the man way of saying 'heart'). If for some reason you couldn't get the carbon black, how would you feel? If you couldn't get the white, how would you feel? Personally, I think the sharp lines of the car and overall shape make white a perfect fit for it, but the shined up black ones I see on the road are stunners, and the CB will be kind of an exotic color in the US. If you love the car in white as it is, I think I'd stick with white as opposed to forcing a different color just because it's different. As for interior, I know you are against it, but I'd get the black leather. I think it's a really sharp, old-school combination. I'd pass on the headliner as I wouldn't want to overly-darken the interior. Of course these are just my opinions and everyone has an opinion on what's best! Either way (CB or AW) the car will be a beast!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

I think that Alpine White will be stunning on the 550 sport (it was my second choice). I would probably then go with the natuaral brown interior for a little more contrast. I would not go for the anthracite headliner (too, too dark IMHO), and I would offset some of the black on the dash with the light poplar wood trim.

Just two more cents . . .
Old 04-09-2007, 05:42 AM
Contributors

Rudy -

That's going to be an amazing machine ... 550i loaded with every toy.

With Alpine White you are going to need an interior color darker than cream beige for contrast. Since you love gray, that's probably the best choice, but I think Natural Brown would look excellent too.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='411691' date='Apr 9 2007, 09:42 AM
Rudy -

That's going to be an amazing machine ... 550i loaded with every toy.

With Alpine White you are going to need an interior color darker than cream beige for contrast. Since you love gray, that's probably the best choice, but I think Natural Brown would look excellent too.
I agree (and thanks) but I think there is a limitation on what colors you can get the ventilated seats in. I'm going to double check all that this week (which is why I'm trying to get things figured out now to cover my possibilities...)

Quick Reply: Time to get some opinions and advice