E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tilt Wheel 05 545i

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i

I've had my car for about 3 months now and really love it. But I have been meaning to ask this question for sometime. When I first got the car the steering wheel used to move way up for you to get in, then when you put the key in it would go into position. It does not do that now. I can't seem to find any setting for this.

Now both keys work and keep the drivers setting for 2 different drivers, but is the wheel moving up out of he way some kind of entry thing?

Thanks, jjp
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjp735i
I've had my car for about 3 months now and really love it. But I have been meaning to ask this question for sometime. When I first got the car the steering wheel used to move way up for you to get in, then when you put the key in it would go into position. It does not do that now. I can't seem to find any setting for this.

Now both keys work and keep the drivers setting for 2 different drivers, but is the wheel moving up out of he way some kind of entry thing?

Thanks, jjp
I noticed on my 545i that if the steering wheel is set for my normal driving position it won't move after I turn the car off (I am tall and in order to read the gauges I have it angled fairly high.

If I angle it lower when driving, then turn the car off it moves up out of the way. Must be some point in the arc of adjustment the engineers of the system considered low and move it for you.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Jet black, SMG, cold weather & sports pkgs, active steering, nav sys, HUD, premium sound, rear sunshades. 2005 545i crashed 11/06, gone:-( 1983 533i Jet black 285k mls

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
I noticed on my 545i that if the steering wheel is set for my normal driving position it won't move after I turn the car off (I am tall and in order to read the gauges I have it angled fairly high.

If I angle it lower when driving, then turn the car off it moves up out of the way. Must be some point in the arc of adjustment the engineers of the system considered low and move it for you.

My 07 550i started similar intermittent anomalies year ago. it wouldn't remember the settings and could only tilt up if i press the button the second time and held it for few seconds. it would work for a while after the dealer "reset" the steering column. Recently, they told me that I needed to replace the the SCL (steering control logic). $1,200 later, it started acting up and I was told that the SCN also needed replacement for another $845. About the same time, my SMG paddle shifters just quit working and they told me that they found faults between the shifters and the SCN. It costs about $530 to replace the shifters. Most of the costs are associated with the labor required for taking the steering column apart, reprogram it and test.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by liangda
My 07 550i started similar intermittent anomalies year ago. it wouldn't remember the settings and could only tilt up if i press the button the second time and held it for few seconds. it would work for a while after the dealer "reset" the steering column. Recently, they told me that I needed to replace the the SCL (steering control logic). $1,200 later, it started acting up and I was told that the SCN also needed replacement for another $845. About the same time, my SMG paddle shifters just quit working and they told me that they found faults between the shifters and the SCN. It costs about $530 to replace the shifters. Most of the costs are associated with the labor required for taking the steering column apart, reprogram it and test.
I catch myself avoiding use of certain car features like the adaptive headlights or the tilt wheel for fear of generating a failure. A real shame.
We put up with so much expense from $hitty quality. It is actually a testimony to how great these cars are to drive.
I dream of BMW sending some engineers over to Toyota to learn how to design quality into components and the car in total.
Shameful how they seem to ignore this.