E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tile Steering wheel position

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

This is driving me CRAZY! On the tilt wheel, when you turn off the car, the steering wheel normally goes all the way to the top position. This past week, this has taken a mind of it's own. Now when I turn the car off it often stays right where I had it. Sometimes it goes back and other not. Then when I put it up top it will stay there too. Today, it remained in the lower position when I got out of the car. When I got back in and turn the car on, it came down from this position which was about twice a low as it normally would be. I've turned car on and positioned the wheel where I want it and then hit the memory program button on the seat and re-selected position 1. I'm not sure if this has any effect at all, but I was thinking it did. Anyways, this procedure still does not seem to raise the wheel when I turn off the car and lower it back when I turn it back on. Any ideas? I recently added the CCC and have not coded the car. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it?
Old 08-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

My car does odd things like that too. The seat bolsters that close in when I start the car sometimes decide not to. My steering wheel is a bit finicky with its up's and down's as well but I keep it up high or else I would hit my knees with it (6 foot 3). The passenger side seat sometimes ends up in positions I didn't put it in and the memory on that side doesn't seem to stick either. I never thought about posting because it just never really registered until reading your post. Isn't there a body control module that deals with the seat/mirror positions.

While we are on the topic, does anyone else notice that when using the passenger mirror curb-dip feature it eventually settles into a position a few degrees off from the memory position? I correct it by holding the memory button - just wasn't sure if this was common. Sorry to thread hijack!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Sublime
My car does odd things like that too. The seat bolsters that close in when I start the car sometimes decide not to. My steering wheel is a bit finicky with its up's and down's as well but I keep it up high or else I would hit my knees with it (6 foot 3). The passenger side seat sometimes ends up in positions I didn't put it in and the memory on that side doesn't seem to stick either. I never thought about posting because it just never really registered until reading your post. Isn't there a body control module that deals with the seat/mirror positions.

While we are on the topic, does anyone else notice that when using the passenger mirror curb-dip feature it eventually settles into a position a few degrees off from the memory position? I correct it by holding the memory button - just wasn't sure if this was common. Sorry to thread hijack!
My passenger mirror always goes back to where it was set. Crap, I probably should have not said this because that too will start to act up now!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by Sublime
You are experiencing the dreaded passenger mirror creep. This would drive me crazy as it took a week or more to sloooooowly move out of alignment.
In the iDrive, navigate around until you find the 'last seat position' setting. Turn it off and the mirror creep should stop. The only negative is that a second driver will have to use the memory buttons for their settings.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Occasionally the car "forgets" the wheel position... this happened far too regularly on my old E39, and at least a couple of times on my E60.

Try resetting the wheel position -- basically move the wheel from full stop to full stop up and down with the adjuster. When you do this, even when the wheel stops at either up or down position, release the adjuster and then use the adjuster to move the wheel further in that same direction - it will often move further to the full stop position.

If you set the memory position before the car 'forgot' the wheel position, it should now go to the correct position and operate correctly when you turn off/on the car. If you set the position while the car was 'confused', you'll need to re-set the wheel position in the memory settings.

Let us know if this solves your problem
Old 09-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wpg550
Occasionally the car "forgets" the wheel position... this happened far too regularly on my old E39, and at least a couple of times on my E60.

Try resetting the wheel position -- basically move the wheel from full stop to full stop up and down with the adjuster. When you do this, even when the wheel stops at either up or down position, release the adjuster and then use the adjuster to move the wheel further in that same direction - it will often move further to the full stop position.

If you set the memory position before the car 'forgot' the wheel position, it should now go to the correct position and operate correctly when you turn off/on the car. If you set the position while the car was 'confused', you'll need to re-set the wheel position in the memory settings.

Let us know if this solves your problem
Sounded good to me, but no joy on this one. I went through the full up and down several times and set the memory to a different position by moving a few things around on the seat and steering wheel and then selecting another memory button. Today when I turned the car off instead of going up like it should it came down! Pretty bazar !!! Last month my car got pretty soaked inside from a rain storm and the windows were down. I know the seat memory buttons were wet and I am wondering if this has anything to do with the steering wheel position...? I hear it's all in the seat module. I look in real oem but could locate the module. I have an 08 535 LCI comfort seats.