E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ticking noise N52....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Khan, how's your oil level? In my experience, lifters knock louder when your oil level goes down. If it is down a bit, just add a quart and see if the noise reduces/disappears

Also, in my N52, when I went from Mobil 1 to OE BMW oil, the knocking disappeared.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Khan, how's your oil level? In my experience, lifters knock louder when your oil level goes down. If it is down a bit, just add a quart and see if the noise reduces/disappears
Also, in my N52, when I went from Mobil 1 to OE BMW oil, the knocking disappeared.

Was just about to say this. I've read MANY, and others can confirm, that this engine has lifter noise issues and OEM oil has reduced that sound...odd as it may be. Change your oil/filter and see how it sounds if you're not under warranty. I personally think it sounds like a diesel and would not accept this sound coming from a non-diesel car.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Members

Hi Guys,

Had the same problem with both my 2007 530i and 328i.
My dealer replaced the lifters on both cars (they were under warranty). Fixed the problem.

Here is a copy of the Service Bulletin:

Hope this helps.

September 2009

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B11 09 07 dated January 2009.

SUBJECT
Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (HVA) Noise

MODEL
All E82, E83, E88, E85, E86, E60, E61, E70, E90, E91, E92 and E93 vehicles with N51, N52 or N52K engines produced approximately up to November 31st 2008; refer to cylinder head casting identification attachment.

SITUATION
An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the camshaft hydraulic valve lifters (HVA) may occur during cold engine starts, due to frequent short-distance driving, or the noise may occur for an extended period of time even though the engine is at operating temperature.

Improved parts were phased into production beginning on 10/1/2008 and fully implemented on November 31st 2008.

CORRECTION
Do not perform the bleeding procedure that was previously provided in SI B11 09 07 which has now been deleted.

All vehicles produced between 10/1/2008 and 11/31/2008 must have each vehicle's cylinder head casting number identified before hydraulic valve lifters (HVA) replacement, due to staggered implementation. Refer to the attachment for the casting number location. Vehicles produced after 11/31/2008 have already been fitted with improved parts. Vehicles produced prior to 10/1/2008 will require the new parts.

Improved Casting Numbers

N51 (B30)

N52 (B30)

N52K (B30)

A cylinder head casting number that does not match will require replacement of the 12 exhaust camshaft hydraulic valve lifters (HVA) as per Repair Instruction RA 11 33 050, Removing and installing/replacing all rocker arms. Only the exhaust camshaft and rocker arms have to be removed in order to replace the hydraulic valve lifters. Do not remove or replace any intake camshaft valve train components.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

11 33 7 605 330
Hydraulic Valve Lifter (HVA)

Refer to EPC for additional gaskets, seals and bolts, as required by the Repair Instructions.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty, or the Certified Pre-Owned program.

Please refer to the latest KSD for the applicable Main or Associated labor allowance for the specific model.

Defect Code:
11 33 93 39 00

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

00 58 248
Refer to KSD
Replace exhaust camshaft hydraulic valve lifters (HVA)

*Main Work

or

00 58 827
Refer to KSD
Replace exhaust camshaft hydraulic valve lifters (HVA)

+ Associated Work

Note: The following explanations will spell out the correct use of the work times.

Main Work:
Use this labor operation number when the only repair performed is the listed warranty repair.

OR

+Associated Work:
Use this labor operation number when other repairs or services are performed along with the listed warranty repair.
Under no circumstances should both labor operation numbers be claimed. Attempts to claim both times will result in an unnecessary delay in claim processing and payment.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Bro I HOPE you didn't type all that out! You could have scanned it into a .tif and uploaded.
Talk about dedication, i like that. LOL
A warm welcome to board.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian

The iDrive indicates the oil level is fine Max...I took the car for service this weekend to have a series of issues checked out. The brakes squealing, the steering wheel making a terrible noise when turning, and the battery dying.

The ticking noise was "normal", the brakes are squealing but iDrive says I have 15k to go so its "normal", and the steering wheel making a noise is also "normal", the battery dying was MY fault because I drive the car with the parking lights and that can somehow kill the battery...?

They kindly recharged my battery and gave me a sheet that showed my car had 2 faults because of driving with the parking lights?

I am under the impression BMW does no work when the car is under warranty and then when it runs out they find a series of issues. Does anyone know of any good dealers in NY/NJ areas that are friendly?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
The iDrive indicates the oil level is fine Max...I took the car for service this weekend to have a series of issues checked out. The brakes squealing, the steering wheel making a terrible noise when turning, and the battery dying.

The ticking noise was "normal", the brakes are squealing but iDrive says I have 15k to go so its "normal", and the steering wheel making a noise is also "normal", the battery dying was MY fault because I drive the car with the parking lights and that can somehow kill the battery...?

They kindly recharged my battery and gave me a sheet that showed my car had 2 faults because of driving with the parking lights?

I am under the impression BMW does no work when the car is under warranty and then when it runs out they find a series of issues. Does anyone know of any good dealers in NY/NJ areas that are friendly?
Go back and show them the SIB that the guy above quoted. BTW good job on the SIB, guy!

I've read several accounts where knocking was fixed under this SIB even after the warranty was up.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Members

No, just copy/paste from the original SIB.
I am crazy but not that crazy.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

My car just started making the same noise today! Pretty sure my car was warmed up and its still making the noise. Sounds like a damn truck so embarrassing! I recently got my oil changed too so it better not be low on oil. Is there no dipstick on this car?? i have a 06 530i... this is retarded if i can't check the oil level manually - what if the oil sensor is faulty!

Here is the sound that i recorded: http://hulkshare.com/d3bw8zvp8v3s/engine%20noise.mp3

@aretardorange did u ever get this problem fixed?

Theres a similar thread on e90post here... e90 folks with the N52 is having similar problems. Over 77 pages of the same problem! First page... lifters were replaced. Last page... the same noise persists even after lifters replaced. I'm trippin right now! Someone please comment!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

The more i read about it... the more relative i think this problem is to many of us. Replacing the valve lifters won't solve the problem as it has the same design which will likely replicate the same outcome. So to people who have had their valve lifters replaced as an immediate remedy and think everything is fine and dandy; i feel as if the problem will continue to persist later on. Get this problem fixed before you run outa warranty peeps!

Heres the same service bulletin someone previously posted SI B11 09 07. The prior step after replacing the valve lifters is replacing the cylinder head with a new design.

My car is out of warranty and this will likely run me a freakin downpayment on a new car.. all because of BMW's engineering flaw. I might have to give BMWNA a call soon... not even sure how i will go about it :/. Tell me im not going crazy lol
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

I took my car in about 6 months ago for the ticking noise and they replaced my lifters. Took me 3 tries of back and forth to the dealer until they could duplicate the problem.
3 months ago the ticking noise came back, along with an idling problem and the revs dropping below 700rpm causing a semi-stall. I have to take it in again. It's such a bullshit process...first they need the car, then they need to duplicate, but they can't so they take it for an overnight drive, then they still can't, so come pick up your car. 2 or 3 of these later, and finally they will duplicate and fix.