E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ticking noise from dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 10:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 530d has started to make a tick-tick-tick noise from behind the dash when i first open and get in the car in the morning . it makes this noise even before i put the key in the ignition and carries on for a minute or two after starting the car then goes away.

any one else heard this? any ideas?
Old 12-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Members

I have been dealing with this for at least six months. Never seems to happen for the dealer when it is in the shop. Dealer has just recently submitted some paperwork to BMW HQs and is asking for assistance. It is a random event when any door opens up. My best guess is the noise comes from the CD driver. If I get any resolution I will post the results.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Members

I too have been hearing this and have gotten the dealer's stock response - could not reproduce.

Could it be due to changes in temperature? Mine seems to be more prevalent when the car is cold and is warming up. After about 45 minutes, it seems to stop.

Where are you guys located? I am in Boston.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

It sounds like it is something that "wakes up" when the door opens, so it is something that has a battery connection, not just an ignition connection. Whatever module it is, it may have some mechanical moving items or some electrical solenoids/relays switching when it wakes up and is probably more prevalent due to the cold whether. If it happens when you first open the door and then goes away, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it annoys you, and then you just want to get a satisfactory explanation because that may be the function of the controller. If it doesn't go away after a short period of time, I would have it looked at until you were satisfied. If it happens when you first get into the car in the morning, or after it has sat a while, have the dealer keep the car overnight and then test it. If you drive to the dealership, it has warmed up by then.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Titanium Silver, Black Nasca Leather, Servotronic Steering, , De-Chrome, Bi-Xenons including Headlight Washer Jets, adaptive headlights, Advanced A/C, Auto Dim Interior & Exterior Mirrors, Electric Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Sliding Armrest, extended lights package

i had this on a previous car and it was the air vents taking up their opening position
Old 01-10-2005, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Maybe its one of the crazy modules. The make buzzing and whirling noises all the time. Havn't heard a click/click yet. Ill listen for one.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Members

i also get a ticking sound, while driving i hold my fingers over my steering wheel buttons and the noise stops.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

On the day I took delivery while I was looking under the hood I heard a "eeeeeee" sound when someone opened the trunk. It went away a few minutes after the trunk was closed. Same thing with any door opened. But not "tick tick tick" sound though and this couldn't be heard inside the car. We then checked another car, and it was the same. I can reproduce this any time.