E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A thud and a hum!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Been having a ball driving my 525i with 5000kms now... Its the M-Sport version so its abit lower and rides maybe a tad harder..

Last night, due to a call of nature, i was driving a lil fast on an uneven road and its not really a bad road.. Not even enough to unsettle or make my 8 month pregnant wife uncomfortable but i normally drive really slow on this road.. I love my car.. haha..

But anyways, after i took care of nature, i decided to go down and take a spin and make sure its all good.

Now when i go over a speed bump like sideways, where one tire goes up before the other, when the rear goes up sideways, theres a creak as it goes up and back down. A creak or rattle of some sort coming from the rear left. (My car is a RHD)..

Secondly, when im driving down carpark ramps, like im in a shopping mall, so when i go down the ramps, i have to turn right, so obviously one tire of the car down first then the other.. When the first tire goes down, and the second hasnt gone down, theres a loud distinct "thud" from under the car... I can feel it thru the floor..

Does anyone else have this problem?

And lastly, this has been around since i bought the car... When i pull to a stop and hold my foot on the pedal with the gear in D, theres a slight humming that comes and goes under my foot..

When i turn the steering left and right without moving the car, it hums louder and softer and louder and softer as i turn.

This sound is even more pronounced when im slowly reversing into a parking lot and when holding my gear stick, i can feel the vibration of the humm..

Its kinda like hummmm.... then it goes... then hummmm... then it goes..

Only when stationary. Maybe when moving, theres so much vibration from other parts i cant feel this one?

But very pronounced when stationary...

Does anyone else have this problem?

My friends 530i that i drive doesnt seem to have any of the above problems.. Man.. Luck as always i suppose?

hahaha

Thanks alot in advance for the responses!
Old 04-09-2006, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

Well if it helps, the shocks on my car creak a little when I go over some speedbumps near me that are at an angle to the road (ie every wheel takes turns to go up and down )

I didn't have it on my other BMW's, but it doesn't particularly worry me or suggest to me that something is wrong....it's just a noise....

As to the humming - could it just be the engine idling under load (ie held back by the brake) at low revs?
Old 04-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Members

needforspeed: Cant be the shocks creaking cause it wasnt there prior to my urgent trip down a bumpy road last night!

As for the thud when i turn down a ramp, its definitely a thud, kinda like something hitting something else.

With the humming, i know its not the engine as the humming comes and goes while the rev stays stable. The humming eventually stops after a minute or so when the car isnt moving and in D with my foot on the brakes but it returns and becomes abit louder when i turn the steering while stationary. Im inclined to believe its got to do with the active steering?

Anyone else have these problems?

Thanks a bunch