E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on dealer "recommended services"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Sport / Premium / Manual Trans

While my car is in the shop getting an oil change, etc., the service advisor says my car needs steering fluid flush. Apparently the fluid is worn (brown) and needs to be changed. I haven't checked for myself, but I can see how it might be needed since my car is approaching 50K miles on the odometer. ~$179

He also said he recommends the "injection and induction" service. ~ $450 !!! ( I think is what he said)
According to the pamphlet he gave me, it entails:

1) carbon removal using special cleaners pumped into the fuel system at pressure.
2) injector cleaner, again pumped in at pressure
3) throttle body & intake cleaning, which looks like just spraying cleaner on the throttle body and intake
4) fuel system cleaner, adding a fuel additive

The "injection and induction" service looks like something a bottle of Techron could accomplish. I know, for the most part, they are just a way for the service dept to rake in more cash. But since I plan on keeping my car for ~ 5 more years, I don't want to pass on something that may actually be beneficial for my car.

Does anyone have any input on these (and other) "dealer recommended services"?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

if you use premium gas at top tier gas stations and run the techron cleaner then don't waste your money on the fuel injection service/cleaning. power steering fluid i would recommend flushing around 60k. it is a hydraulic mineral oil which holds up really well but a flush is a good idea as preventative maintance. your price is about the average for the dealer but this can be done on your own at your house for about $30-40 in fluid.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

What engine do you have? A 535? For a 535 it might make sense due to direct injection.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
While my car is in the shop getting an oil change, etc., the service advisor says my car needs steering fluid flush. Apparently the fluid is worn (brown) and needs to be changed. I haven't checked for myself, but I can see how it might be needed since my car is approaching 50K miles on the odometer. ~$179

He also said he recommends the "injection and induction" service. ~ $450 !!! ( I think is what he said)
According to the pamphlet he gave me, it entails:

1) carbon removal using special cleaners pumped into the fuel system at pressure.
2) injector cleaner, again pumped in at pressure
3) throttle body & intake cleaning, which looks like just spraying cleaner on the throttle body and intake
4) fuel system cleaner, adding a fuel additive

The "injection and induction" service looks like something a bottle of Techron could accomplish. I know, for the most part, they are just a way for the service dept to rake in more cash. But since I plan on keeping my car for ~ 5 more years, I don't want to pass on something that may actually be beneficial for my car.

Does anyone have any input on these (and other) "dealer recommended services"?
I"m OK with a power steering flush but 50K miles seems premature and $179 is very high - go find a BMW qualified independent and get the same service for ~ $75!

As for the injector service ... that's pure PROFIT for the dealer. As already indicated if you are using a good Tier 1 gasoline supply the occasional Techron is all you need to keep your fuel system up to par.

Be sure to keep your brake fluid flushed every 2-4 years.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

sounds like they are seafoaming your car... probably not but google search seafoam, it basically does what you listed. I've done it on my murano and it worked pretty good.