E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thoughs about design after owning

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wondering your thoughts about the radical design changes for the new 5 now that you've driven it for awhile. more..less? see more changes?

it seems that the 5 got the extreme lines of the new design...i think the 5 would look better if the front wasn't too cat eyes look and the truck looked more like the 7 series. the front bumper on the m5 does make the front look better.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

Is it radical then?
I like the front most and i like it even more in M-styling. Had to get used to the interior more then the exterior (coming from mercedes w211) By now i'm very pleased with the overall design and i'm starting to appreciate it more and more.
Think you grow into this car. When i got into a friends 525 "98 E39 i noticed what evolution has done to this particular model.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I love the design of the car and still get a lot of compliments from other people to.

I like the interior a lot too but the E-Class interior still is apealing..
Old 12-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ethanbmw' date='Dec 15 2004, 01:51 PM
just wondering your thoughts about the radical design changes for the new 5 now that you've driven it for awhile.? more..less?? see more changes?

it seems that the 5 got the extreme lines of the new design...i think the 5 would look better if the front wasn't too cat eyes look and the truck looked more like the 7 series.? the front bumper on the m5 does make the front look better.
[snapback]69417[/snapback]
I agree with you on the front - needs a new lip, like M-sport or ACS. I like the ack as viewed from the rear, as it looks wide, and with the sports package, very racy (545).

My biggest beef with the design is approching the car obliquely from the rear, the line on the trunk is distracting and the trunk lip looks a little low. My eyes follow the first cut, which makes the car look like a hatch with a trunk added. Other than that I think the car is gorgeous. With all that said, the design has grown on me. I admittedly despised it when it first came out.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GER_545SMG' date='Dec 15 2004, 02:18 PM
[quote name='ethanbmw' date='Dec 15 2004, 01:51 PM']just wondering your thoughts about the radical design changes for the new 5 now that you've driven it for awhile.?? more..less?? see more changes?

it seems that the 5 got the extreme lines of the new design...i think the 5 would look better if the front wasn't too cat eyes look and the truck looked more like the 7 series.? the front bumper on the m5 does make the front look better.
I agree with you on the front - needs a new lip, like M-sport or ACS. I like the ack as viewed from the rear, as it looks wide, and with the sports package, very racy (545).

My biggest beef with the design is approching the car obliquely from the rear, the line on the trunk is distracting and the trunk lip looks a little low. My eyes follow the first cut, which makes the car look like a hatch with a trunk added. Other than that I think the car is gorgeous. With all that said, the design has grown on me. I admittedly despised it when it first came out.
[snapback]69435[/snapback]
[/quote]

For the record, I do like the cat eyes (w/lids). I also like the short overhang on the front fenders, again, tying in nicely to the wide rear, racy look. This is a slick car (and the aero numbers prove)
Old 12-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ethanbmw' date='Dec 15 2004, 01:51 PM
just wondering your thoughts about the radical design changes for the new 5 now that you've driven it for awhile.? more..less?? see more changes?

I have liked it from day one but then again, I bought the new body style Corvette in 1997 when it first came out and I took a lot of s**t from people who didn't like that new (C5) design. Bottom line is I paid for it and untimately am the one whose opinion of the design counts. It's not worth an argument with people who do not like the E-60 design.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

dont think you cna beat the exterior design of the 5 maybe the boot/trunnk were it meets the body is a little odd around the tail lights, now if bmw could only build a interior upto audi standards we would be all there
Old 12-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I still love the design of the E60!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

i parked my car and walked away the other day. a father and son walked by me and looked at my car and said, "wow, nice car!" both of them just circled around it . man, i love my babe !
Old 12-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver 530i Sports and Premum Package with Navigation. 06/04 build date.

I love my car but I can think of a few things I would change:

Cup holders suck. I know they are going to break before long.
Interior door handle grab point is too far forward which makes it difficult to close the door and it always hits me right in the left knee.
Not enough storage space for little stuff - no place to put change.
I don't like the trunk lines much either but I'm getting used to it.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Thoughs about design after owning