E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third NEW set of New RunFlats

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Just picked up my 545i tonight after the third set of new runflats installed. Last set was best yet, didnt really get loud until about 17K miles.

I have 39,500 total miles and including original factory set, this is 4th set of Dunlop Run Flat tires.

My SA is a saint as once this was approved per TSB, distributor sent 4 rears. He went out of his way to get the two fronts couriered to dealer same day so I could have my rig before close of business friday. BMW of San Diego rocks

So fellow USA E60 owners, remember that if your car was equipped with factory installed Dunlop runflats, you will be able to replace these free of charge if you heed to the TSB ; http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=10912 .

Smooth running.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I, too, had three replacement sets (total of 4 sets) installed on my 545i and it was great. I really don't understand why some people complain about these tires. Sure, they're a little stiff/harsh but you really can't argue about free (otherwise expensive) tires every 7-10K miles!

I was able to turn my car in off of lease with almost brand new Dunlops and the only tires I ever paid for was my snow tires (which still have loads of tread on them and will fit my 550i.) I'll be complaining about the price when I have to replace the 19" summer rubber on this current car, that's for sure! BMW and Dunlop spoiled me for the last three plus years!!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='467227' date='Sep 8 2007, 07:47 AM
Sure, they're a little stiff/harsh
That's it + the tramlining tendency.

Mine are original from the spring of '04...
Old 09-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='467227' date='Sep 8 2007, 12:47 AM
I, too, had three replacement sets (total of 4 sets) installed on my 545i and it was great.
Rudi,

Have your car's tires had visible irregular wear or you just complained about the noise? Mine have about 18K miles on them and became pretty noisy lately but they look good with about 50% of tread remaining.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='467227' date='Sep 7 2007, 11:47 PM
I, too, had three replacement sets (total of 4 sets) installed on my 545i and it was great. I really don't understand why some people complain about these tires. Sure, they're a little stiff/harsh but you really can't argue about free (otherwise expensive) tires every 7-10K miles!

I was able to turn my car in off of lease with almost brand new Dunlops and the only tires I ever paid for was my snow tires (which still have loads of tread on them and will fit my 550i.) I'll be complaining about the price when I have to replace the 19" summer rubber on this current car, that's for sure! BMW and Dunlop spoiled me for the last three plus years!!
why and how did you get them for free?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='467526
why and how did you get them for free?
vandal1x, the above should answer your question...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
dunlop_runflat_SB.pdf (30.5 KB, 203 views)
Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='467529' date='Sep 9 2007, 12:15 AM
SergeyM, do you have Dunlop runflats? As a rule, the noise level of a tire will increase as the tire wears. In the case of the Dunlops, there was an irregular wear pattern that developed around 7000 miles and got worse over time. The irregular wear pattern caused an excessive "roar" that simply shouldn't happen at such a low mileage or early tread life. After many of us complained, BMW issued the following service bulletin:
Attachment 37280
vandal1x, the above should answer your question...
I do have Dunlops (maybe a newer version) and they became noisy, but there is no irregular wear. They look fine to my untrained eyes. So is it enough if I just complain about the noise or there HAS to be a bad wear pattern? The document above specifically stated:

<Only tires that exhibit the specific wear outlined in this Service Information are
eligible for coverage.>

Looks like I am out of luck here.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Contributors

I am also on my 3rd set of runflat tires. Just got a brand new set of tires 2 months ago at my last service appointment. The first two sets I had were the previously described Dunlop tires. My newest set is a set of Bridgestone runflats. I wonder how they will hold up. Any experiences with those type of tires out there?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='467542' date='Sep 9 2007, 01:59 AM
I do have Dunlops (maybe a newer version) and they became noisy, but there is no irregular wear. They look fine to my untrained eyes. So is it enough if I just complain about the noise or there HAS to be a bad wear pattern? The document above specifically stated:

<Only tires that exhibit the specific wear outlined in this Service Information are
eligible for coverage.>

Looks like I am out of luck here.
If the dealer is aware of the service bulletin and you complain, it's possible that you'll get lucky and the dealer will find the irregular wear. You have nothing to lose at this point, why not give it a try?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='467559' date='Sep 9 2007, 10:19 AM
If the dealer is aware of the service bulletin and you complain, it's possible that you'll get lucky and the dealer will find the irregular wear. You have nothing to lose at this point, why not give it a try?
I'm curious/confused. Not sure if I lost something in translation or what. Is this just a US thing because I haven't heard of tyres being replaced over here.

If an original set became noisy and were replaced under the bulletin, are the replaced set covered as well? And the next? And the next?
Is this what some people mean when they say they are on a third set of boots? At their or BMW/Dunlop's expense?

If this is the case, why haven't either BMW or Dunlop closed off what appears to be an endless loop. And why replace a set of tyres with another set
of (exactly) the same type of tyre if the same thing is going to happen again?

And who determines what an unacceptable level of noise is?

Quick Reply: Third NEW set of New RunFlats