E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thinking of switching to non-run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My E60 came from the factory with run flat tires and no spare tire, jack or tire wrench. I am considering switching to non-run flat tires. For those of you that have done this, from where did you get a spare tire, jack and tire wrench? Any idea how much these will cost?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

Go to Costco and get the Aluminium 2 ton Jack with padded saddle

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...av=&browse=

Go to Sears get yourself a nice 1/2 inch drive Torque Wrench then a 1/2 drive hardened socket with small extension.

You should be around 230.00usd +or -

My mind went blank on socket size...some one will buzz in on that
Old 09-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Premium and Sports Packages
Model Year: 2004

Did you just purchase your E60 from the dealer? I thought all E60s came with a spare tire, regardless of whether it came with run-flat tires or regular tires. I have run-flat tires on mine and I have a spare tire and all those necessary tools to replace the tire.

Originally Posted by HPMan' post='466160' date='Sep 5 2007, 12:34 PM
My E60 came from the factory with run flat tires and no spare tire, jack or tire wrench. I am considering switching to non-run flat tires. For those of you that have done this, from where did you get a spare tire, jack and tire wrench? Any idea how much these will cost?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Contributors

It does surprise me how many people seem to be talking about replacing run-flats with non run flats... I don't want to keep going on about it, but run flats are superb in terms of safety and convenience. I'd hate to get rid of mine. The whole point is that you don't need a jack and spare - if you get a puncture, you can just keep driving... !
Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zenithdeluca' post='466170' date='Sep 5 2007, 02:01 PM
Did you just purchase your E60 from the dealer? I thought all E60s came with a spare tire, regardless of whether it came with run-flat tires or regular tires. I have run-flat tires on mine and I have a spare tire and all those necessary tools to replace the tire.
Not in the UK . Runflats = no spare. Not sure about the jack, can't say I've ever looked for it, but certainly no spare ... no need for one!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zenithdeluca' post='466170' date='Sep 5 2007, 01:01 PM
I'm in Canada, and when you got RFTs (at least back in 2004), they deleted the spare and related equipment -- sounds like this is different in the US.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by HPMan' post='466160' date='Sep 5 2007, 08:34 PM
If memory serves me right, I think there is a different insert in the wheel well for cars supplied with and without spare wheels. If the car came without a spare wheel, there me be an issue with storing the new (skinny) spare in the well because of the wrong insert. I think European cars with run-flats come without a spare wheel, it has to be ordered. Not sure about US cars.

Another alternative is the m-mobility kit that comes with the M5.

Re changing to non-RFT's, I did and it was the best decision I made. The difference was almost like night and day.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributors

If you have the "wheel well" in the trunk under the mat, then consider an OEM jack and spare wheel (about $500). The jack is desgined to work with car and fits into the jack points.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: May 2008 530D "M" package Exclusive line.

Same stuff in Belgium,
Once you got RFT, the car comes without spare tire and its equipment.
The best way to solve the problem is to order the car with 19" wheels which are not RFT and then, the car arrives with all necessary tools
You can also buy the accessories at your BMW dealer.

I'm also thinking about the opportunity to change to non RFT and buy necessary tools because over here, 18" RFT are about the same price than 19" non-RFT .
Old 09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='466165' date='Sep 5 2007, 12:42 PM
Go to Costco and get the Aluminium 2 ton Jack with padded saddle

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...av=&browse=
That looks like a nice jack. One question I have concerns the fact that it's rated at 3,000lbs (1.5 tons). Obviously the e60 is heavier. More like 2 tons.

I've seen a lot of 2 ton jacks. How much weight does a jack need to lift to change tires? Is it only a fraction of the total weight, and therefore a 1.5 ton jack would be fine since it only needs to support about 1/2 a ton, or is a 1.5 ton jack already rated such that it should be used for cars that only weight up to 1.5 tons?

Hope that question made sense.

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching to non-run flat tires