E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thinking about selling my 2007 530i

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

My car is about to turn 50,000 miles so I've been thinking about selling it to buy a Porsche Carrera Cabriolet . If I decide, I'll list the car with pictures. The car is in excellent condition and has been well maintained with six months of warranty left. Just thinking about a change.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IvoryJ
Hello All,
My car is about to turn 50,000 miles so I've been thinking about selling it to buy a Porsche Carrera Cabriolet . If I decide, I'll list the car with pictures. The car is in excellent condition and has been well maintained with six months of warranty left. Just thinking about a change.
That's quite a change of pace... nice choice though!!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by luigi524td
That's quite a change of pace... nice choice though!!

Thanks.

Just giving the idea some thought. But, I'm seriously considering selling it because I always wanted a Porsche and before I rack up to many miles I think this is a good time to sell, if I can find the right car.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Nice choice. I too will probably get at porsche after I get an F10 535i or 550i. I wonder how the reliability is and the maintenance cost is with Carreras.

For your E60, I would advise you to take it to Carmax to get it appraised and then benchmark that price to post on craiglist/autotrader/other websites for private sale if you have the time and availability. I've personally done this before (trade in quote $11k, carmax quote $13k, private sales $14.5k and took 3 days to sell after posting online). This way, you can at least show the dealer that you're buying the Porsche from to match the carmax price if you were to trade it in for convenience. They will initially try to lowball your trade in, but if you indicate that you're willing to walk out and sell your E60 to carmax they will eventually and hopefully match the carmax price. My friend, german car fleet manager in SoCal, told me this. Further, I was told that dealerships make lucrative profit on used cars by either selling back to the general public or sending it to auction. In conclusion, they want you to trade in your car.

Good luck with the decision and keep us posted.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by leese8080
Nice choice. I too will probably get at porsche after I get an F10 535i or 550i. I wonder how the reliability is and the maintenance cost is with Carreras.

For your E60, I would advise you to take it to Carmax to get it appraised and then benchmark that price to post on craiglist/autotrader/other websites for private sale if you have the time and availability. I've personally done this before (trade in quote $11k, carmax quote $13k, private sales $14.5k and took 3 days to sell after posting online). This way, you can at least show the dealer that you're buying the Porsche from to match the carmax price if you were to trade it in for convenience. They will initially try to lowball your trade in, but if you indicate that you're willing to walk out and sell your E60 to carmax they will eventually and hopefully match the carmax price. My friend, german car fleet manager in SoCal, told me this. Further, I was told that dealerships make lucrative profit on used cars by either selling back to the general public or sending it to auction. In conclusion, they want you to trade in your car.

Good luck with the decision and keep us posted.

Thanks for the advise. It all depends on finding the right car and if it's priced right. So far they're not cheap. As far as maintenance is concerned the cars are very reliable however, if something major goes wrong you're going to pay just like BMW unless you have a warranty. Outside of the mileage being a value concern, the 530i is so under powered and that's buggy me as well. If I don't buy a Porsche, I may purchase a M5 or 2010 550i.because there are some pretty good deals out there.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i xDrive; Black Sapphire Metallic; Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navi, PDC, 20% Solargard Tint

Originally Posted by IvoryJ
Thanks for the advise. It all depends on finding the right car and if it's priced right. So far they're not cheap. As far as maintenance is concerned the cars are very reliable however, if something major goes wrong you're going to pay just like BMW unless you have a warranty. Outside of the mileage being a value concern, the 530i is so under powered and that's buggy me as well. If I don't buy a Porsche, I may purchase a M5 or 2010 550i.because there are some pretty good deals out there.
Go with the Porsche - the 997's (2005-2011) are considerably cheaper now with the 991 (2012) out and you can get some great deals on used ones.

Moreover, the enjoyment you'll get from driving daily is far more than you'd get from our 5 series. If you buy one certified or fairly recent - it will be well warrantied and worth the cost. From the mileage of your 2007 you dont seem to drive much so it may even serve well as a daily driver.

But, before making the jump keep in mind, the 911 will be bumpy, noisy, horrible in the snow, and the back seats are near useless.

If you find a used one that's priced right, the best alternative would be to sell your 530i, buy a cheap suv AND maybe an older 911.