E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

They found the oil leak(s)....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

I noticed that my valve cover gaskets are leaking, but not crazy yet...i also noticed a "sweating" from the timing cover on the passenger side as well...

67k miles here.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by kxmills' post='1095804' date='Jan 22 2010, 02:55 PM
I just had the same thing done to my 545. Valve cover and timing chain cover gaskets. While the engine was out of the car I replaced the water pump and clutch too.
If you dont mind me asking, why was the engine out?
Old 01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

Dang I should feel good with 121K miles and no gaskets replaced. Only CCC, window motors, coolant temp. sensor & vent hose, passenger restraint sensor & seat cover. Just annoying crap, not engine, trans, or drive train thank god.

Let's face it, German cars do require service but still not as much as a Ferrari! ha..ha..
Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tallers' post='1095733' date='Jan 22 2010, 02:05 PM
I struggle understanding a BMW having a valve cover gasket leak with less than 50K miles. WTF? Has BMW been benchmarking with companies like GM, Dodge, and Fiat?
I have a BMW because I enjoy the way it rides & performs, but reliability is not in the same league as the more reliable marques, which lately has included GM. Piously dumping on other automakers when in reality they do many things better isn't a fair assessment. Almost every automaker successfully employs plastic for rocker covers, and it's not just about cost but weight, too. My GM engine doesn't leak oil, but my '99 740 with metal valve covers did at 50k miles; and now this week I also had the PCV system changed on my '05 530i. Fortunately it's CPO, covered all but $50, same as OP. Dealer also replaced belt tensioner which was shot, along with belt and associated parts. Very happy it's a CPO, and 15 months to go before it expires.

Those of you with leaky valve covers - be sure you don't have oil in the spark plug pockets, it can short out the coil, create misfires and damage your cat converters.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i, Silver Gray-Black Dakota, Cold pkg, Prem. Sound, Sport pkg, Nav, Voice Activation

Originally Posted by WillD' post='1096055' date='Jan 22 2010, 10:22 PM
I have a BMW because I enjoy the way it rides & performs, but reliability is not in the same league as the more reliable marques, which lately has included GM. Piously dumping on other automakers when in reality they do many things better isn't a fair assessment. Almost every automaker successfully employs plastic for rocker covers, and it's not just about cost but weight, too. My GM engine doesn't leak oil, but my '99 740 with metal valve covers did at 50k miles; and now this week I also had the PCV system changed on my '05 530i. Fortunately it's CPO, covered all but $50, same as OP. Dealer also replaced belt tensioner which was shot, along with belt and associated parts. Very happy it's a CPO, and 15 months to go before it expires.

Those of you with leaky valve covers - be sure you don't have oil in the spark plug pockets, it can short out the coil, create misfires and damage your cat converters.
You're right, GM has come a long way on quality lately as well as Ford (who you notice I didn't mention). I guess I can't believe we're having these kind of issues with BMW's. You kind of expected it back in the 70's when we did points, condensor, and distributer cap when tuning up the cars. Water pumps were always on the list back then along with alternators, a master cylinder here and there. But that was 40 years ago!

Warranty or not, CPO or not, these cars should not have these issues at the price they cost. GM would be more than happy to tell BMW how hard it will be to repair a poor quality reputation.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

UPDATE: the adjuster inspected the car on friday and would only approve the valve cover gaskets. he said there was too much oil coming from the valve cover gaskets and that may be leaking onto the timing cover making it look like the timing cover gasket is leaking. He told the sa to change the valve gaskets and drive it a bit....and if oil leaks from the timing cover, then change the timing cover gasket. I guess it sounds pretty logical, and at least they are authorizing the work. I'll keep y'all updated.

who dat!!
will
Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Contributors

So they fixed replaced the valve cover gaskets and oil sensor, cleaned the engine, ran it and the timing cover gasket is leaking. Now I have to wait for the adjuster to come out again and verify that the tc gasket is leaking and authorize the repair. Whew!

who dat!
will
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Contributors

I had the exact same issues with my 2004 545. So for they have replaced the valve cover gaskets, Tranny oil pan, rear diff seals, active stabilizer bar, timing case cover, vaccum pump and oil pressure switch....oh yeah and the coolant resevoir and vent pipe. My car has 49k on the clock. So far the extended warranty from Mercury has covered everything for a cost of $6,500!!! The warranty cost me about $3,000.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Contributors

UPDATE: Adjuster came out again and authorized the timing cover gasket replacement. At that time they notice oil is still leaking from a valve cover which the tech now says is warped. He approves a new valve cover. Hopefully it will be ready tomorrow. I love and miss my 545, but this is ridiculous for a $60k car!

Who Dat!
will
Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by lospice1
Who Dat!
will
This is Bob Smith from the NFL. You are using copyrighted material we own and we demand you stop using the "Who Dat!" cheer in your emails. Our legal department will be in touch shortly...

Hang in there Will, hopefully you'll have the car back for the weekend, good as new. You going to Miami?

Quick Reply: They found the oil leak(s)....