E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

There is smoke coming from engine please help !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my car back from the dealer last week. This is what I had done

Tensioner
Thermostat
Valve covers and hoses.

When I first got the car back and drove it, I noticed a slight burning smell. At first I thought maybe it was my imgaination or maybe they had spilled some oil when they put the valve covers on. Today I opened the car up a little to about 100mph for proably about 5 minutes. When I noticed the burning smell alot. I did not get any warnings or lights or anything, nor did I notice any performance decrease.

When I pulled into the gas station I could really smell it. When I popped the hood I noticed that there was smoke coming from each side of the engine. Not a lot of smoke like a campfire, but any smoke is too much right

Please advise. I need to know what this could possibly be asap, as I am supposed to do about a 3 hour drive on friday and obvioulsy dont want to be stranded along the side of the highway.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Are you sure it's not just something burning off of the exterior like some spilled oil? Other than that, it's kind of hard to tell what's going on -- can you have the dealer look at it to see if they can confirm anything?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

I have no clue if you're not getting anything on your idrive or malfunctions. What color is the smoke?
If it was me, i would take it back to the dealer and drive it hard (or at high rpms') that way as soon as you get there you can pop the hood so they can point out what it is.

good luck.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Valve covers were removed and replaced- It could be residual/spilled oil or fluids from the cover removal. Check for tale-tale signs of leaks on your driveway, especially if the car has ben stationary for some time after driving. While not a show-stopper - unless there is a massive leak - you should be able to take your drive without worry. A small leak of oil on a hot manifold can create a bit of smoke and smell, but isn't a major problem unless it's neglected for quite some time. If the covers were imprpoerly sealed, some oil can seep out causing the problem. Let us know what happens!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='706902' date='Oct 29 2008, 05:58 PM
Are you sure it's not just something burning off of the exterior like some spilled oil? Other than that, it's kind of hard to tell what's going on -- can you have the dealer look at it to see if they can confirm anything?
Thanks for the reply. However, I got the car back exactly a week ago at this point. If it was some sort of spill wouldnt it be burnt off by now? Also I notice that this engine stays hot very long after I park it, is that normal? My wife has a acura tl and she can park after driving home 40 minutes and the engine is basiclly cool in about 2 hours. With my car 3 to for 4 hours later the engine is still very warm to the touch. I am just afraid of overheating, since the car doesnt have a temp guauge other then those little white ticks around the tach, which apparently isnt really a temp guage. I so paranoid because I had a 98 740 that the theromstat went up on me, and I never knew the car was running hot and I blew the raidiator, thermostat and cooked and ecu.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

it's nitrous!!!!! j/k did u bring it back to the dealer or try contacting them?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='706913' date='Oct 29 2008, 06:07 PM
Valve covers were removed and replaced- It could be residual/spilled oil or fluids from the cover removal. Check for tale-tale signs of leaks on your driveway, especially if the car has ben stationary for some time after driving. While not a show-stopper - unless there is a massive leak - you should be able to take your drive without worry. A small leak of oil on a hot manifold can create a bit of smoke and smell, but isn't a major problem unless it's neglected for quite some time. If the covers were imprpoerly sealed, some oil can seep out causing the problem. Let us know what happens!

Thats just the thing. I do have spots in my driveway. Not huge ones. They are about the size of dime. How can I tell if valve cover gaskets are still leaking or if oil spilled during the replacement has just finally found its way down to the driveway
Old 10-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='706916' date='Oct 29 2008, 06:09 PM
it's nitrous!!!!! j/k did u bring it back to the dealer or try contacting them?

I just called them and they said "oh it probably just spilled oil from the repair"
Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by 545insc' post='706920' date='Oct 29 2008, 03:16 PM
I just called them and they said "oh it probably just spilled oil from the repair"
Park your car the opposite way for a few days. If you continue to have spots, take it in and have them check the covers for leakage. On a positive note, you should be able to drive your car without problem on your trip. Dime-sized spots are relatively minor drips. If you're really curious, wait until the car cools. With the car safely up under jack stands, crawl under and check for leaks (oil on various undercarriage components).
Old 10-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Contributors

my initial response would be oil/coolant residue burning up, but then you stated you had the car for a week? double check the hoses that they replaced, possibly the clamps need some more tightening as the new hoses get adjusted.

Quick Reply: There is smoke coming from engine please help !!!!!