E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a big difference between the sport automatic transmission and

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 BMW 530i - Silver 2008 BMW X5 xDrive 30d - Black 2007 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro - Silver

I am getting close to ordering my 2009 BMW 530i, I just need to know a bit more. For example, is there a big difference between the sport automatic transmission and the steptronic transmission? Is the sport suspension included in the M sport package the same as the optional sport suspension on 5ers w/o the M sport package?

Does the S mode in the steptronic transmission really more "sporty" than D mode? I don't try the S mode in my X5 because my kids are in the back and I don't want to drive very fast when they are there. And why is it called "steptronic"? You don't step on anything except the gas and brake pedal.

Does anyone here have the style 247 wheels? I am thinking of ordering them for my 530.

Has anyone here achieved 250km/h on a 530i/d?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Contributors

Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Senior Members

For me, there is a big difference between step and SAT transmission but it depends what you're after. Rudy did a good write up about it which is worth a read:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42391&hl= and http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...+cruise++review

Not sure about the suspension but I have a feeling they are similar but not exactly the same. I think the drop may be the same of around 30mm from standard.

The sporty DS mode of steptronic will hold gears longer compared to D mode. It will generally try to keep you in the sweet spot of the rev range when cruising around but will obviously be less fuel efficient than D. With SAT, you also get an extra Sport button which you can turn on for both DS and D mode. The Steptronic and the SAT both have a manual mode so you can control which gears are selected (although it does try to take over if it will cause harm to the engine). This is where Steptronic comes from as it allows you to step through the gears which some automatics do not allow. I guess it's BMW's equivalent name for things like Tiptronic and Multitronic which are used by other car manufacturers.

Hope this helps
Old 05-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 BMW 530i - Silver 2008 BMW X5 xDrive 30d - Black 2007 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro - Silver

Thanks Techno79 for those details and the link. I guess I should check with my dealer.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Do a search on Richard in NC, he has a few write-ups and some video posted of his 550i tracked at VIR if I remember. I think he's generally a fan of the Sport Automatic as well, based on those experiences.

Cal
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by 5er_ooomph' post='891158' date='May 26 2009, 08:11 PM
I am getting close to ordering my 2009 BMW 530i, I just need to know a bit more. For example, is there a big difference between the sport automatic transmission and the steptronic transmission? Is the sport suspension included in the M sport package the same as the optional sport suspension on 5ers w/o the M sport package?

Does the S mode in the steptronic transmission really more "sporty" than D mode? I don't try the S mode in my X5 because my kids are in the back and I don't want to drive very fast when they are there. And why is it called "steptronic"? You don't step on anything except the gas and brake pedal.

Does anyone here have the style 247 wheels? I am thinking of ordering them for my 530.

Has anyone here achieved 250km/h on a 530i/d?
SAT has more aggressive shift mapping than normal AT plus it has paddle shifters. I think the price difference is minimal($500 no?).
Also, unless you are ordering 550i, you won't get M suspension. so yes, M sport package is the same as the optional
sport suspension w/o M pkg but come with M cosmetics.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Senior Members

So if I keep my foot on the pedal at about 6000 rpm, it will eventually change for me without jerking violently? I sounds like a stupid thing to do, which is why I never do it, but if I were to, I wouldn't have to worry, when doing a straight line sprint, about easing up on the gas in the higher RPMs?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by E60714' post='891456' date='May 27 2009, 02:17 AM
So if I keep my foot on the pedal at about 6000 rpm, it will eventually change for me without jerking violently? I sounds like a stupid thing to do, which is why I never do it, but if I were to, I wouldn't have to worry, when doing a straight line sprint, about easing up on the gas in the higher RPMs?
Where it shifts depends on how much of your foot you have into it! I've been at WOT and had the SAT shift at about 7000! Wooot! With 360+ hp that's a kick!

Cal
Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60714' post='891456' date='May 27 2009, 10:17 AM
I assume you are talking about manual mode? If you are then yes, it will shift up a gear if you plant your foot i.e. it won't bounce of the rev limiter. Likewise, as you brake, it will downshift for you. You're not in control as much as a manual car, but you are more in control than standard auto mode.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Techno79' post='891898' date='May 27 2009, 02:44 PM
I assume you are talking about manual mode? If you are then yes, it will shift up a gear if you plant your foot i.e. it won't bounce of the rev limiter. Likewise, as you brake, it will downshift for you. You're not in control as much as a manual car, but you are more in control than standard auto mode.
Correct.

Quick Reply: Is there a big difference between the sport automatic transmission and