E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THAT'S IT - GOODBYE BMW

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say I have finally had it with BMW. Just picked my lemon up after 13 days at the dealer. This was at least the 4th visit (hell I have lost count) for the same problem that they seem to have no clue to fix; last visit was 4 days. Not a safety or performance issue, but when the sat radio has a constant static pop (not quiet, sounds like a rock hitting the windshield), it is annoying and impossible to listen to, and I drive 25-30k a year.

Each time the dealer, Century BMW in Greenville SC, stated they had fixed the problem (new amps, 2 new sat receivers, new antenna, new programming, etc.) but each time the popping sound is still there.

This is not the only problem I have had that required repeated visits, just the latest. Dealer tried to get BMWNA to buy back but we could not come to agreeable terms. At least the dealer tried.

It really ticks me off to have to make this decision, because I have driven the Audi A6, Lexus GS 430, Infinity M45, and Mercedes E500, and nothing comes close to the fun factor of driving my 545, not to mention none of these have a manual transmission. However, I would rather have something reliable to drive than have the piece of crap sit at the shop. Even had one of the dealer's techs joke that the dealer should provide me an office since I am there so often.

BMWNA I hope you are paying attention, you just lost a previously loyal customer who was not even considering any of the competition. When my lease is up, I am turning it in and walking away.

For those of you on this board, I have enjoyed the information and comments over the past two years. I do not post often, only when I feel I have something to say.

Goodbye
Old 08-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributors

Sorry to hear that. ....that's okay..once you decide to get another car other than a 545..you will be able to see our tails!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 325i - SOLD 2006 525i - PCD in August '05 1999 CVPI - My work car

I am so sorry about your problems, but I wouldn't give up based on one car. I would keep fighting to find a solution. (Wether it be they buy it back or the dealership helps you get a new one.) How much longer on the lease?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

sorry to hear your story, farbton :'(. i agree with vitacura. talk to your dealer and bmwna and see what they can do for you.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Members

Thanks for the comments. Regarding suggestions I have already taken it to the management and they discussed with BMWNA and they did offer to buy it back, but not under agreeable terms.

Regarding one car issue, I had an E39 530 and had some problems, but nothing like with this car. I realize this was a very early 545 production model, but BMW should have addressed these many issues long before releasing this thing to the market.

Regarding seeing the tailights, I agree there is no more fun car to drive in this class, I am just damn tired of only driving it to the shop. Only 545 tailights I have been seeing are driving away into the repair garage.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Members

If you are on a lease why would they buy it back? Also seems a bit extreme to expect them to buy out of a car that doesn't fit under the lemon law. It is just a radio, but then again you'd think a 60k car could have a properly functioning radio. One thing though is that BMW does not make a good radio anyway. My E39 has gone through 3 radios and still it doesn't work well. The FM receiver goes out for periods of time for no apparent reason. I don't really care that much because I listen to more AM radio and CD's. Certainly a radio malfucntion while annoyng is not enough to get me to drive another car or expect a company to buy it back. I do understand it is more important to others. Good luck, but I wouldn't write off the brand due to a bad radio.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by silver bullet' date='Aug 23 2005, 08:32 AM
If you are on a lease why would they buy it back?? Also seems a bit extreme to expect them to buy out of a car that doesn't fit under the lemon law.? It is just a radio, but then again you'd think a 60k car could have a properly functioning radio.? One thing though is that BMW does not make a good radio anyway.? My E39 has gone through 3 radios and still it doesn't work well.? The FM receiver goes out for periods of time for no apparent reason.? I don't really care that much because I listen to more AM radio and CD's.? Certainly a radio malfucntion while annoyng is not enough to get me to drive another car or expect a company to buy it back.? I do understand it is more important to others. Good luck, but I wouldn't write off the brand due to a bad radio.
[snapback]162399[/snapback]

He did say that the radio was just one of many problems. I am starting to agree with him and I really have not had that many issues. It really is just that the service departments are an embarassment. I knew that going in to a BMW but I did not realize my lack of patience with it all. Yeah it is fun to drive but so was my last car which was a lot cheaper and not as troublesome. BMW has not discovered that customer service helps, particularly at this price level. I was just chatting with an associate who went to Lexus (from BMW) and couldn't be happier. He admits that it is not as fun to drive but for us working stiffs who are terribly inconvenienced by service visits, it is to high a price to pay. I suspect that I will return to the Japanese for the obvious reasons too of value and reliability...
Old 08-23-2005, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

I've thought about this many times. But thats the way with Bimmers. Its down to luck. You get one with problems and they'll keep coming back no matter what.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:47 AM
Members

Smile

We have had the car 12 months and it has been off the road with sunroof problems, a broken cd player, antitrap function, rubbing noise from the steering wheel for a total of 3 weeks.
My wife's car is in for it's first service Tuesday and here is the list of problems!

All doors squeak,
Steering wheel still rubbing,
Poor windscreen wipers again,
I/drive lock up,
Nav freezing,
Parcel shelf not retracting, (E61)
Anti trap function, (3rd time)
Seat belt warning,
hesitant start,passenger cup holder has never worked,
brakes squeal.

That's it for now!
13000 miles so far and I guess it will be gone for a few days to a week.

1 month a year lost in the garage seems a bit much to me and if it was not for the massive money I've lost on it I would have got rid by now but I want at least some use for the ?000's I've lost.

Good luck to you and I don't blame you. :thumbsdown:
Old 08-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why I always say that BMW is not a good long term companion for me. It's wise to get rid of it after warranty expire. BMW is famous for unreliability and very good handling. If someone looking for reliability over performance, Lexus is on top of the list.

Quick Reply: THAT'S IT - GOODBYE BMW